Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I'm looking to do a dog shoot. I don't mind paying. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Google is your friend. A search of PD guide services in the state you are looking at should turn up some.

It is doubtful that anyone will give up their favorite location. I made the mistake of taking a friend to my "secret" ground squirrel shooting location, with the promise from him that he would not divulge the location to anyone else, within a couple of years it was over run with shooters because he had told a friend about it - who told a friend about it - who had told a friend about it - well, you get the idea.

Good luck in your search.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Things change so much. We had good shooting in the Faith/Eagle Butte area for several years, then plague ruined it.

Get references for ANY paid shooting.

HM

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Contact a Cattlemans Association or an Indian Reservation.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Utah has no p/dogs..........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Some states require a license to hunt them and some don't. WY and MT are a couple that don't, and both have good populations of them. Time is your friend if you have it, or your enemy if you don't. If you do, I would simply pick an area and go. When you get there ask around for places to hunt and you will find them. One will lead to others, assuming you follow the rules.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Oregon requires NR $167 license for Sage Rats ! On hold now asking about private land, and NR hunting Lic. requirements.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tikkanut

neither does Montana or Wyoming

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon only has Liberals.....šŸ˜Ž

Except for me.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Drive out there and start talking to people in the small town diners. Waitresses know everyone tip heavily.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I shot some about 4 yrs ago in the pan handle of OK. They welcome shooters out there and donā€™t ask your name but how much ammo do you have. All the farmers we talked to around Boise City had them. I need to plan a trip out there with some buddies. Even a guy on the TX side was telling us if we had ammo left to go to his place.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Also to add, many years ago Lubbock,TX was over run p-dogs and I spoke to a ranch hand that was begging for an army of shooters to come down and blast away.
We went to South Dakota for several years pheasant hunting, we would get our limit and go the p-dog fields around Platte and Geddes SD. My understanding is that you could find prairie dogs in any state from TX to ND corridor, guys would talk about shooting in KS, CO, and NE.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by drover
Google is your friend. A search of PD guide services in the state you are looking at should turn up some.

It is doubtful that anyone will give up their favorite location. I made the mistake of taking a friend to my "secret" ground squirrel shooting location, with the promise from him that he would not divulge the location to anyone else, within a couple of years it was over run with shooters because he had told a friend about it - who told a friend about it - who had told a friend about it - well, you get the idea.

Good luck in your search.

drover

This + 10 doesn't take more than once of getting burned by "friends " to changing what info you give and those asking never really understand that either. If I can spend the gas money to go out and locate my own dogs for shooting ,so can they. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I got chased off a good spot because a dozen dickheads went out there without asking permission first. I had been hunting there for 30 years and the new owner was understandably pizzed.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I had not been prairie dog hunting in years, I spend most of my varmint hunting efforts looking for rock chucks. This year in Utah with record snowfall most of my chuck areas wont be huntable until June or July.
Last weekend a friend took me prairie dog hunting........apparently they have a season on them in Utah and you cant hunt certain areas because they are endangered or ferret food.

This time of the year you can only hunt them on private land, I was shocked how many land owners my friend knew. We went from field to field and we were the only ones there. mostly male dogs out now moms and pups still in the ground, cant wait to go back out in a couple weeks !!!!!!

C
C
Originally Posted by whelennut
I got chased off a good spot because a dozen dickheads went out there without asking permission first. I had been hunting there for 30 years and the new owner was understandably pizzed.

Damn. Sorry to hear that.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Telling somebody about your favorite hunting spot is kind of like bragging about what a good kisser your girlfriend is.
Sooner or later they get curious to find out just how good.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Do a google search for Lubbock Texas prairie dog safari.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here is a map...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 222Sako

neither does Montana or Wyoming

Neither does Nebraska...I heard Texas has big Pdogs, and lots of them wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 53 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,606
Posts18,454,857
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.