Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Eating 'scrats?

That doesn't sound pleasant. At all.

100,000 mink can’t be wrong! Mine become bobcat bait but to each their own.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Judman
Ya I work with a colored feller from Mississippi that says coons are good.... And that's not a pun....

Was up to camp with my grandpa 60 years or so ago and he was cooking a coon my uncle had shot. He parboiled it for an hour at least to boil some of the fat off of it, then popped it into a covered turkey roasting pan with a pile of onions (and a dose of his home brew, IIRC). He roasted that bad boy in the oven of his wood-burning cook stove until the meat just slid off the bones. When he piled up a plate for me, I admit I was a little wary. I asked him what raccoon tasted like, and he answered, “Well it doesn’t taste like beef, and it doesn’t taste like chicken. It just tastes like coon!” Indeed it did! I ate a couple of platefuls.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Meat is meat.

Anyone that'd eat an oyster will eat anything.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where did you get the fur hat made or where did you buy it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great. I have been there a number of times (live in Minnesota), and happen to have a few tanned beaver furs. Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 22WRF
Where did you get the fur hat made or where did you buy it?

They are called trapper hats here and are available all over the place.

http://www.alaskafurexchange.com/hatstrapper.shtml

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
When worked on the N Slope, asked a Native what he was going to do on his off time, response was trap rats, I asked him what they tasted like?

He thought for a while, then responded like Rat!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Never had muskrat before, but one year my dad did a pig roast for a bunch of his friends instead of using a pig he used to Beaver and never told anyone. After everyone ate it they all liked it and then he told him it was a beaver. It was pretty greasy from what I remember

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never eaten muskrat, but I have a friend whose trapped nutria on Back Bay in Virginia and cooked those. They are actually very good, indeed. He soaks the meat in buttermilk to tenderize it.

We have a lot of muskrats here. I suppose most places with water do. We have a local business park that had a WWII era drainage canal in it that had muskrats and the last population of cottonmouth snakes in that part of the city. Once the business park was established and picknick table put out for the workers, people started to complain about the snakes. Heck, I had one crawl into an inspection garage at the insruance building I worked at. The landowners started killing any snake they found. It wasn't to long after the cottonmouths were eradicated that it became unwise to walk anywhere near that canal. The muskrats had burrowed into the banks and walking close to the canal you stood a good chance of the ground collapsing into a maze of burrows and being in mud up to your hips. That canal is a total cluster now. It was once a pretty park-like area. Now it's eroded and broken and none of the landscaping is safe from muskrats.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.