Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
If any of you writers have contacts at Aguila, please ask them to run off a few million rounds of .32 Long rimfire ammo. If reasonably priced, it should sell. I think most shooters with 5mm rimfire rifles had resigned themselves to the fact that ammo for them would never be made again, and surprise, Aguila now loads it.

Last edited by immature; 04/19/19.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
There was a couple of companies that specialized in manufacturing obsolete ammunition including rimfire calibers. I tried googling them but can't find anything. It was not that long ago that they ran adds in gun magazines. Maybe someone here can provide a web address.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a .25 Stevens rimfire cartridge. Looks like a nice potent little round. Looks like it would have a real edge over the .22 WMR. Shame it went away.

K
KLD Offline
K
Seems like I read an HL article some years ago that converted CF brass to RF to address just this issue. It was rather involved - solder the existing primer hole closed & re-drill near the rim to fit a .22 blank. It would probably be a winter project to get enough brass, but a specialty loader may be set up for it as a short(er) cut way to go shooting.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by KLD
Seems like I read an HL article some years ago that converted CF brass to RF to address just this issue. It was rather involved - solder the existing primer hole closed & re-drill near the rim to fit a .22 blank. It would probably be a winter project to get enough brass, but a specialty loader may be set up for it as a short(er) cut way to go shooting.

Man I ain't that bored, but I still have a couple boxes of 32 long left.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bob Haley, in Texas, makes a bunch of stuff like this, reloadable cases for old rimfires. You can search for him on the www, but will have to call once you find him. .

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Found it:
Bob Haley
Seymour TX
940-888-3352

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Option B. In most of the little falling blocks and in some of the Marlins, you can make new piece in the linkage that will move the firing pin to the center and use 32 Colts in them. 32 short colt in the 32 short rimfire and 32 long Colts in guns that can shoot longs.
I've done this a couple times. My current one is a Hopkins Allen that was a barn gun, not a collector. Fun to shoot, but with the trajectory of a Red Rider.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by moosemike
I have a .25 Stevens rimfire cartridge. Looks like a nice potent little round. Looks like it would have a real edge over the .22 WMR. Shame it went away.

It had the rep back in the day of being the greatest small game rimfire since sliced bread. Oops, sliced bread hadn't been invented yet. That obsolete RF cartridge would be the one I would vote for a reprise of.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Winchester could maybe neck up the .17 WSM, if there were guns, and if there were a market. Not much small game interest these days overall, regrettably. Small game was where kids became hunters and stalkers, and learned to make their shots count. Seems now they start in deer blinds and treestands. The days when a kid could wander around the woods with a little rifle are mostly over; illegal on public land (and likely not safe), and family farms with their woodlots and brush patches are disappearing, and getting access is pretty tough.

I think our generation was the last to enjoy that kind of stuff on any large scale. I was able, through the generousity of my late good friend, to poke around with my boys on some nice properties he owned in PA and later WV, for squirrels, the occasional bunny, and even one fall turkey. Great memories, and my older son is trying to do the same with his boy when he can.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Found it:
Bob Haley
Seymour TX
940-888-3352

A friend of mine was a business person in Seymour for many years. Said Bob did a lot of things, mostly obsolete cartridges. Said he was a little eccentric.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

It had the rep back in the day of being the greatest small game rimfire since sliced bread. Oops, sliced bread hadn't been invented yet. That obsolete RF cartridge would be the one I would vote for a reprise of.

Elmer Keith said we needed it back too.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Found it:
Bob Haley
Seymour TX
940-888-3352

A friend of mine was a business person in Seymour for many years. Said Bob did a lot of things, mostly obsolete cartridges. Said he was a little eccentric.

Terry Wieland has done some pieces featuring him. His prices are very fair, I think, considering the work involved. He's "the guy" for this stuff, for certain.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

My grandfather had a Stevens 25 rimfire. He thought quite highly of it. It ended up with one of my older cousins when I was a kid. He used it primarily to control avian predators. Of course back then they weren't protected. He killed more than a few skunks and raccoons with it as well. It is one I'd love to see a new run of ammo made.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Sleeve it and enjoy the plethora of cheap and available 22 rimfire ammo.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,799 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.