Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#13717403 04/05/19
M
OP Offline
M
Hello, I currently am gearing up for turkey season after recently purchasing a CVA Trapper 12ga with internal chokes, and a T/C New Englander 12ga with an internal choke. I bought all of my supplies from ballistic products, and when i went to load my CVA Trapper, the overpowder (nitro) card the is way too big to fit. I have read some people have to take the chokes out, but in all honesty i am not interesting in having to unscrew my choke tube every time i want to fire the ML. I figured well i'll try my T/C, and i have the same problem. So i grab some of the cushion wads and the over shot cards and checked the clearance on those and on both guns same issue. ,I have looked for information from the manufacturer and T/C does not make the wads they recommend for there 12ga anymore. If anyone can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it

Thanks,
ML92

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
you may just be stuck taking out the tube every time, have heard on some guns theres no way around it.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
See if you can get the old fashioned fiber wads. They are going to be a tight fit too but are made to compress when you ram them in. Sorta like loading a paper shotshell from the 50's

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
You may already known this but Circle Fly still makes a wide assortment of fiber wads.

https://circlefly.com

They also offer several possible solutions to your issue in their muzzleloading shotgun information page.

(If you’ve already seen all this, disregard. 😁)

Last edited by kaywoodie; 04/06/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Postscript. You would laugh if you knew what I use for wadding in my smoothbores.

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Postscript. You would laugh if you knew what I use for wadding in my smoothbores.

[Linked Image]

Woodie, I've read that back in the olden days wasp nest were also used with the patched balls to prevent the patches from being burned. Maybe they would use the patches again if they could find them.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks kay i did read cicle flys information.
So i have successfully fired both guns using the method of turning the nitro card on its side and forcing it in and using the ram to flatten it back out, they also say that 14ga cushion wads would be fine to use in place of a 12ga wad as it is just there for support. The overshot cards is thin enough to bend to work so i have found a solution, next time i'm ordering mini nitro and not maxis. i think the diameter would make a big difference in how easy it is to get down past the choke.

Last edited by Muzzleloader92; 04/07/19.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
ML 92,

Back in the day when I had several sxs ml shotguns I also used undersize fiber wads. Worked great Instoll pack a few circle fly overshot wads along with my wasp nests. Good luck!

Webster Parish,

Yes I’ve heard same thing of using some nest for overpowder.

Y’all have great day! Webster! Stay dry!

Founder

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back when smoothbore muskets were the norm, hunters would just pour some powder down the barrel, top it with a ball of paper, pour some shot in and top it with another wad of paper. The ramrod kept everything tight until they fired it out. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with Sunday's newspaper.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Plastic shotgun wads are sized to fit into a shell, not the bore.
Most 12 ga. shotguns have a bore size of .720.
Wads are made with a cupped base that expands upon firing to seal the bore.
You may be able to use a shotgun wad if you get a cylinder choke tube.
That way, the tube will be the same diameter as the bore and you can force the wad in.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shoot a Knight TK2000 for spring gobblers and use TPS wads and for overshot I use styrofoam trays like you get meat on from the grocery store. I took a old extra 12 ga turkey choke tube that I had and ground the end of it sharp below the threads to cut my over shot cards out. I have a screw in choke also with in the Knight shotgun and I have no problems at all loading mine and everything stays tight. It might give you an idea to work with using the styrofoam meat trays. I would not hesitate to take a 50 yard shot with my Knight, but kicks like a government mule on crack lol....

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.