Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an American field line.
Best dog I've ever had.
Tall, long legged, and big. Right now, about 110 pounds.
I have friends who have smaller dogs, and watch as they try hard to grab a goose by the chest. Most drag it back by the neck, wing, or foot.
My big guy can litterally snatch one up on the run.
Have taken him to senior/seasoned levels in AKC, and UKC hunt tests.
I do worry about hips in later years because of his size, but x rays have shown no dysplasia.
Next lab will be another yellow American.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I had "American" labs back when I had them, a buddy currently has "British" labs.

The most marked difference I see is in their behavior. My buddy's dogs appear to be much more laid back and quiet while American dogs were much noisier and rambunctious. Much of this may be due to American dogs often being kenneled outside compared to the Brit dogs I've seen. When the dog is next to you, it is much easier to correct it for excessive barking or jumping.

On the same line, the Brits seem to respond better to a gentler touch when training. If one is used to training Goldens, then I think they have the correct mindset for Brits. American lines have developed to handle a lot of pressure when training. That can be handy when one makes a mistake but the dogs seem to test the handler more often. One type is not better than the other, it just means one needs to pick a line that best meets the handler's personality and style.

Body wise, the Brit lines seem shorter and stockier. That makes sense as the breed is used more as a retriever than flusher like here in the States. American lines run more of a gamut of body types of which I preferred the taller and ranger body.

Needless to say, these are some very general observations between the two versions. One still needs to research the breeder to determine if their pup will likely be a good match for you.

This idea about the hard temperament of American Hunting stock is dated. The force fetch has fallen out of fashion. You’ll find in the newest generations of American Labs, a dog bred to hunt hard with athleticism, instinct, drive and discipline, and a dog bred to be a companion and live inside with it’s people.

I disagree "Force Fetch" has fallen out of fashion, force fetch is a training process in which the foundation of future training is built upon. Over the years I have had new pup owners totally repulsed by the thought of force fetching their dog or having a professional force fetch their pup. I have always asked them if they have "Kids".....if they say yes I ask them if they potty trained their kids. The reply was always YES.. Then I ask them...WHY. Of course by me asking WHY always stumps them in silence in answering such a stupid question. I quickly reply to their silence, "Potty training their kids has the same foundation as force fetching their new pup". Having a fully trained response in your dog foundation future training begins following the force fetch process.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Force fetch training may or may not be required. It is mainly necessary for those who field trial where a refusal may cost a placement or championship. Some Dogs may never refuse, but the trial trainer doesn’t want to take the chance. Also there is the element of style in how the Dog gives the Bird to the handler.

With a Dog hunted for field use exclusively, and the Dog is an enthusiastic retriever an occasional refusal is not the end of the world. If the Dog only retrieves half heartedly, then force fetch training may be considered.

With an enthusiastic retriever used as a hunting Dog only, where the return game started early and consistently, force fetch training is rarely required. And then more so for the owners pride than the Dogs ability.

Some breeds are also natural retrievers and are less inclined to refuse. Others such as Setters and Pointers often do not have a strong retrieval instinct or are all that enthusiastic about the game. I know, someone out there had a Setter that would bring back 10 Turkeys that we’re still alive and flapping. They were the exception.

All do not need to be force trained and in addition it isn't fun for the Dog or the trainer. Unless the trainer is good at the game, it is best left to someone who is.

Last edited by battue; 04/20/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
D
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Best dog I've ever had.
I have friends who have smaller dogs, and watch as they try hard to grab a goose by the chest. Most drag it back by the neck, wing, or foot.
I do worry about hips in later years because of his size, but x rays have shown no dysplasia.

And how is that big dog of yours, senor? You got a special one, there is no doubt about that! You still retired?

Chuck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i mis having a trained lab to hunt with and for home protection too,i grew up with pure-bred labs ,and as most dog lovers know they had a couple of special labs over the years .now at my age of 65 years and living in Minnesota with not as good a hunting bird state anymore ,not sure i need another lab anymore ? but i always preferred my bigger American labs better,these bigger labs just seemed tougher.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'll second doctor Encore regarding "force fetch." The term has fallen from favor but not the practice. I have heard the name change from force break to force fetch to force retrieve to trained retrieve to whatever it is called today (I gave up trying to keep up on the ever changing phrases) but the concept remained the same.

Like breaking horses (where the concept and phrase originated) force breaking is imposing your will on the dog. Whether one talks about come here, heel, sit, stay, or fetch, the trainer imposes his will upon the dog to do as the trainer says when the trainer wants. Like any other command, varying degrees of force are used to reach the desired result.

Like horses, force fetch runs the gamut in the degree of coercion used. One can "gentle break" if one has the time and the dog has the correct demeanor or one can "rough break" which is more rapid and uses a much greater degree of coercion to get the end results if the dog is more resistant to gentle persuasion. Or, one can use various levels in between as needed. Force fetch is not all toe pinches and the like, there are many types of coercion. Gun Dog magazine had an article on this sometime in the last three issues I believe.

I use force fetch on all my dogs as it not only for obedience and to lessen the odds of a disqualification in a test or trial but also to conserve game. I would much rather have a dog refuse a retrieve at a test or trial than in the field. In my opinion, the dog's most important job is to limit loss of game by retrieving. Finding game is secondary to that. If a bird is knocked down and the dog is sent to retrieve, I want that dog to get and bring back the bird and not decide, "Maybe tomorrow, I don't feel like it today."

I do this with all my dogs whether they be pointers, retrievers, or flushers. Our Aussie/Pitbull mix has been force broke to retrieve as he is currently my flushing dog even though he lives to retrieve. Even though he had not refused a retrieve to that point, I force broke him to lessen the the possibility of it happening. As competitive as he and my other dogs are, the odds are not large for a refusal but I want as much stacked on my side as I can.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Best dog I've ever had.

lol,

I have had and seen multiple retrievers @ 45-50 lbs easily chase and retrieve w/o effort 15 lb geese.

Genetics and drive determine.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Best dog I've ever had.

110lb Lab. I feel sorry for him. Not good

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shameless brag......
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.