Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Never owned one or used one.
My wife and I are going out west for a loooong camping trip. We will be driving one of our full size diesel trucks.
Based on my solo DIY hunting trips I believe we need a trailer hitch cargo carrier for our coolers. I use one for long term storage and another cooler(yeti) for day use.
For those that have and use a carrier what do you suggest? I know some have different ways of lowering to access the bed and others are fixed and have to be disengaged from the truck to access the bed. Thoughts on loads?
I mentioned the trucks as the vehicle as to help those know the carrier is not going on a Pinto 😀!
Thanks

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I also have a question. Since most obscure the license plate how do the LE`s react to them?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just have a cheapo Harbor Freight one that I load the crap out of yearly big game hunting. Never a problem, works as it should. Never had issue with the cops, but I am pretty sure i cover my plate completely. Something to think about I guess if I had an open beer or something...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used one on my Jeep to manage hunting season loads. Mine is a Reese and on the cheap side. There are nicer ones that swing away that would be much more useable. Low end ones rust pretty easy, so the aluminum versions may be something to consider. It really comes down to cost. The cheap ones will carry a load, but definitely don’t offer the convenience of more expensive versions. Departure angle needs to be kept in mind and I highly recommend some type of adapter for your hitch that minimizes wobble.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a normal one and welded a cage to it. Now it holds two big coolers with no worries

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've been using a plain Jane one for many years and worked it hard from coolers, and dead animals to a wood stove over 1000 miles it's been a great way to have extra storage.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I bought one from cabelas last year and have been happy with it so far. Have never heard of anyone being hassled by the po-po's

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've got a fairly heavy one[from TSC I think] that also folds up. When we use it the folding option is nice[as opposed to removing and storing while staying at hotel etc].

FJB & FJT
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Don’t have any pictures of mine but when I went looking for one I needed a certain size to hold my snowblower. Ended up building one out of angle iron, plywood and a piece for the receiver. Works great. Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a harbor freight aluminum version with a ramp that folds up for the basket side. Rides just a little low and touched the drive sometimes due to the departure angle. (I could solve that light touch with a tapered grind to the support post from the reciever. It's steel, and runs to the back of the carrier. There is no need to unload it and store it at hotels, just use a locking hitch pin and don't worry about it.
Mine has a 300lbs rating, and is used for my wife's mobility scooter. I drive a Ford f150 and need to drop the ramp to lower the tailgate, but otherwise it clears the basket by close to a foot, I think.
I cut and welded a hitch extender to raise the unit about 3", but found it made it rock a bit, so stopped using it. No issues with police problems, and it has been in use for at least 3 years, so far.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks guys!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have used one a lot. Any brand will likely work just fine. Never had any problems with the poleece.

Be aware that whatever is on your carrier will be covered with whatever you've been driving over.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These are very nice but expensive https://pakmule.com/product/pakmule/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whatever you get, I'd be sure to add lots of reflective tape to it...

R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
thanks again

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is the aluminum one from Harbor Freight, I've had it maybe 9-10 years and its carried a lot of stuff and still works great. Carried plenty of critters on it:)

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are using expensive coolers, someone will try to steal them! Take measures!
Don't forget it's there. Buying a new front end for someone will be expensive.
Be aware of your exhaust,
it will burn/melt a cooler.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Be aware that whatever is on your carrier will be covered with whatever you've been driving over.

Pay attention to this ... it is dead right. I would not want to haul a deer on one very far on a dusty road. If you're hauling soft luggage, look into one of the heavy duty dry bags used for rafting. The roll up / seal does a pretty good job of keeping the worst of the dust out. Zippered closures don't work all that well. Ice chests seem to flex and breath going over bumps and will sometimes suck in dust as well.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you put one on the front by way of front hitch, I would put sight rods on the corners. For me, it is east to forget it's there, and it matters when making turns into parking lots and such.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
I just have a cheapo Harbor Freight one that I load the crap out of yearly big game hunting. Never a problem, works as it should. Never had issue with the cops, but I am pretty sure i cover my plate completely. Something to think about I guess if I had an open beer or something...

Same here,I think I paid less than $50 for it and it will hold 300 #'s . Probably more. If I am not pulling a horse trailer I use it with when my slide in camper is on .Gives extra loading area and doubles a s a step in and out of the camper

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Harbor Freight

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Built mine out of scrap steel we had at our shop, put a winch from Harbor Freight on it to pick heavy stuff, use it almost everydday. Rio7

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Cabelas aluminum version that has had 10+ years of hauling everything from coolers to dead animals to potted trees and shrubs. Wouldn't be without one.
I put orange flagging on the corners so I don't run in t o it. I'm a bit absent minded and a cluts

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have made several trips from California to Colorado and return over the years and never stopped by LE for blocking the license plate.

Ted
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Wife got a ticket in Anchorage for a bike rack that blocked the license plate. Had to appeal it to win as local police had same bike rack.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.