Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13756986 04/20/19
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thinking about picking up an Encore frame for a futzing around project gun. Anyone familiar with current production ones? Are the triggers easy to tweak if needed.

Last I heard, the BATFE wasn't screwing around with people switching between rifle mode and handgun, but should I start with a handgun frame just to be safe, or just get the rifle, which is my main interest?

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not sure about the newer Encores, but about 20 years ago I bought one in stainless and walnut with a 50cal muzzle loader barrel. Then I got a 12ga riffled slug barrel blued, then a 30.06 in stainless. I love that gun and have killed well over 100 deer with it. I've never messed with the trigger, so I can't help you there, but it shoots nice. The 12ga slug barrel kicks like a mule with 3" shells though.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My cousin hates 'em because all he's ever used are the slug guns. I fired a thumbhole ML once offhand and found it pleasant and easy to hold in that position.

I am giving away my .308 and want a replacement for mostly fun and games, as well as a cheap and easy way to play with other cartridges. This is a long-term plan, since other projects are pending in the here-and-now.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
The 12ga slug barrel kicks like a mule with 3" shells though.

I don't think that is isolated to that type firearm.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have owned & hunted exclusively with Encore's when my hunting career began in 1998. I have taken many animals with them in various barrels offerings. The my favorites have been 280 JDJ, 7 Wby & 300 Wby.

The issue of the various configurations of barrel & frame compatibility with BATF legalities has been settled long ago. Very few people "go to the head of the stream to get the freshest drink of water" for the truth of the matter, and, subsequently rely on what somebody told them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
PAPPY ,
I will bet you never felt any -zero 0 - recoil when that nice buck was in your crosshairs !!
Love mine also . got ; 209x50 Bullberry -.270 Winchester -Fox Ridge .223 Remington bull . All are very accurate .
Soup

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just looked at their position (2011) and for now it seems there's no issue. However, since the entire question wasn't ruled on in Thompson Center (1992), it remains possible that future BATF positions may change.

No matter really for me, was mostly curious, and long ago decided the Hand Rifle wasn't my cup of tea. A 12" Contender is about the most I'd want to futz with, and 10" better yet.

Thanks,

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Just looked at their position (2011) and for now it seems there's no issue. However, since the entire question wasn't ruled on in Thompson Center (1992), it remains possible that future BATF positions may change.

Bravo!!

Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
the only time there seems to be a problem on pistol/rifle is here on the fire.. people here seem to enjoy coming up with problems where there were never any.. I have owned encore and contenders ever sience they came out and never had a problem with rifle/pistol swaps .. it is just an anal thing shut the fugg up about it, it never happened..

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hubert
the only time there seems to be a problem on pistol/rifle is here on the fire.. people here seem to enjoy coming up with problems where there were never any.. I have owned encore and contenders ever sience they came out and never had a problem with rifle/pistol swaps .. it is just an anal thing shut the fugg up about it, it never happened..

This.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well fellers, there certainly was a problem when TC had to go to court, all the way to the SCOTUS to protect their company and their customers. The current position by the feds was written in 2011, quite a time gap from 1992 when TC won their case. Even that doesn't seem to address taking a frame originally configured or sold as a rifle and turning it into a handgun, only the reverse. IF I ever go that route, I'll contact them for clarification and documentation before I act.

I asked a simple question and got a pretty rude response for no good reason. If it wasn't Easter I'd tell you to kiss my ass.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I asked a simple question and got a pretty rude response for no good reason.

That is quite common on this forum. There are several here that take great delight in acting like Junior High kids.

Don't post near as much as I once did. There was once, a guy here, who could not tolerate any negative talk of a 270 Winchester. He went so far as to send me a p.m. extolling its virtue & denigrating me.

Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Pappy, I didn't intend any rudeness and if I came across as such, please accept my sincere apology. What I was agreeing with was the statement that there doesn't seem to be much issue with Encore frames unless and until someone wants to make a big deal out of it. Like many here, I have owned and currently own Encores and Contenders and am not concerned with how the frames may have been registered. I don't own any pistol barrels and all of my frames are on rifle stocks. Maybe I should be concerned but I don't know why.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
TC went to court because the BATF said the carbine kits. made for illegal SBR.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Prior to the ruling.....the old language allowed handguns to be made into rifles no problem.,...but "once a rifle always a rifle" was still the rule. SCOTUS stated (clarified?).....that putting a rifle that was made from a handgun....back to handgun...did not make a new gun. It merely restored it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
So if all receivers sold by TC are manufactured as "handguns".…...its no big deal
IIRC Gotta be 21 to buy no matter what form its in ..due to ease of conversion.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/02/19.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Pappy, I didn't intend any rudeness and if I came across as such, please accept my sincere apology. What I was agreeing with was the statement that there doesn't seem to be much issue with Encore frames unless and until someone wants to make a big deal out of it. Like many here, I have owned and currently own Encores and Contenders and am not concerned with how the frames may have been registered. I don't own any pistol barrels and all of my frames are on rifle stocks. Maybe I should be concerned but I don't know why.

No biggie. Everybody has thin skin days and thick skin ones. No blood, no foul.

Was talking to the counter guy at my LGS about the AR pistols becoming popular lately. Seems the previous rule that forbade using the "brace" as a shoulder stock has been overturned as discriminatory (and maybe silly and unenforceable). So for now anyway, the practice is okay. Still, as long as "rules" control issues like this instead of firm laws, there's a risk of running afoul of arbitrary schitt that we never even hear about from appointed bureaucrats.

I've sidesteppped the whole shebang by ordering a Henry SS .308, which looks better to me than the Encores and is priced better too as long as I don't end up buying more than a couple.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

Was talking to the counter guy at my LGS about the AR pistols becoming popular lately. Seems the previous rule that forbade using the "brace" as a shoulder stock has been overturned as discriminatory (and maybe silly and unenforceable). So for now anyway, the practice is okay. Still, as long as "rules" control issues like this instead of firm laws, there's a risk of running afoul of arbitrary schitt that we never even hear about from appointed bureaucrats.

I've sidesteppped the whole shebang by ordering a Henry SS .308, which looks better to me than the Encores and is priced better too as long as I don't end up buying more than a couple.

It's terrible when you have so many choices. smile In my military days, I carried an SMG - the Cdn version of the British Sterling - because it was collapsible. Folding the stock was great to keep it small when climbing in and out of vehicles, but it was easier to control with the stock unfolded. I expect it would be the same for an AR..

[Linked Image]...[Linked Image]

I wanted an Encore too, but having to order one and the barrel means having to wait at least three months. I'd keep my eye on the used market, if you still have the itch. At any rate, I'm glad you got the Henry.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
........ as long as I don't end up buying more than a couple.

Don’t see that happening.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Me either.

Kinda thinking the .308 will be it. A perfect way to burn up all the brass, bullets, sabots, etc I have on hand for that. Might even take it hunting.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 3,235 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,920
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.