Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Remsen,

My old hunting pard shows me his Russian G Grandmother’s chicken soup recipe. Old weathered and faded piece of paper. Scribbled in faint pencil,

Step #1

First you steal a chicken..........

😉

Last edited by kaywoodie; 04/19/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Haha!

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Is the kiske any good or just something you eat......cause it Passover?

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Remsen,

My old hunting pard shows me his Russian G Grandmother’s chicken soup recipe. Old weathered and faded piece of paper. Scribbled in faint pencil,

Step #1

😉

Stolen chicken tastes better...

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

It sounds disgusting, but it's actually really good. It's basically like any other sausage, so if you like things like chorizo or kielbasa, you'd like kishke.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Best ethnic food I remember is pork ribs, sauerkraut and polenta. Not that soupy stuff Italians make, but nice and firm that slices and holds it's shape. Like Gramma used to make. Was always amazing to watch the little baba just whip the bejeezus out of a pot of the stuff and plop it on a plate exactly when it's firming up.

Never met that soupy stuff. The traditional way or serving polenta is it has to be thick enough when dumped in the middle of the table on a cotton towel that it holds it shape. You slice or spoon off how much you want, spread it out, spread some butter on it an then top with a marinaro sauce which usually had pheasant, rabbit or squirrel in .Some times all three.

Worse case of food poisoning I ever had was from a Italian sausage sandwich in a restaurant in Las Vegas. I think it was called the Bootlegger .

Now days I am more of a fan of Mexican food

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Prwlr
The problem with ethnic is - who determines what is "good"? I am very critical of some mexican food because I grew up with it. But when eating other ethnic foods all I know is that one restaurant's food tastes better than the other, what ever the cuisine. As far as food making me sick that could potentially occur at any restaurant at any time and may not be related to the actual cuisine but sanitary conditions or tainted ingredients beyond control of said business (such as recent problems with romaine lettuce).

As an example, I really like the Kung pao chicken at a local Chinese chain, but not so much at our favorite family owned Chinese restaurant which makes other entrees much better.

I love General Tso's chicken but it is different (sometimes very different) wherever you go.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Remsen

It sounds disgusting, but it's actually really good. It's basically like any other sausage, so if you like things like chorizo or kielbasa, you'd like kishke.

Sure!

I would like to try it.

Just took what was left of a brisket and put it in the brine for corned beef.

Thats sorta ethnic yeah?

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Sure!

I would like to try it.

Just took what was left of a brisket and put it in the brine for corned beef.

Thats sorta ethnic yeah?

It sounds ethnic to me...

I know it's not always a good thing to switch topics in a thread, but since there are some cattlemen here I figured I will try my luck.

I have to split my time between Montana and California, due to elderly parents in California. When I am in Montana, I get steaks from a local butcher who buys beef from local ranchers. The steaks are the best, but something I've noticed is that that fat on the local beef tastes different from fat on beef I get in California. I trim all visible fat off of cooked steaks in California, but the last steak I had in Montana I left the fat on and I swear it tasted like butter.

Is it generally true that beef fat tastes better when the meat is REALLY fresh and then it gets a bit heavy and off-tasting as time goes by? Or could it be that the local beef in Montana is simply better?

Last edited by Remsen; 04/20/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It sounds ethnic to me...

I know it's not always a good thing to switch topics in a thread, but since there are some cattlemen here I figured I will try my luck.

I have to split my time between Montana and California, due to elderly parents in California. When I am in Montana, I get steaks from a local butcher who buys beef from local ranchers. The steaks are the best, but something I've noticed is that that fat on the local beef tastes different from fat on beef I get in California. I trim all visible fat off of cooked steaks in California, but the last steak I had in Montana I left the fat on and I swear it tasted like butter.

Is it generally true that beef fat tastes better when the meat is REALLY fresh and then it gets a bit heavy and off-tasting as time goes by? Or could it be that the local beef in Montana is simply better?

No telling what they feed them Californification Cattle. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remsen,

Step #1

😉

So does watermelon.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
It does matter what the cattle are fed.

Generally speaking....I find there to be a big difference between the fat on a grass fat and grain fat beef.

The grass fat animal normally has a stronger flavor....some people describe it as gamey. I personally can find not a single thing wrong with some of the grass fat animals that I have raised. I like the strong beef flavor.

There is grass fat and then there is grass FAT! The quality, and quantity of the grass makes a huge difference.

The beef you eat in Montana is probably grain fat unless otherwise specified. A great deal of that beef is barley finished.

The fat of these animals all tastes different.

Also, generally speaking....the least amount of time an animal will hang after killing is a week to ten days.

Two weeks is average at a locker plant. Three weeks is better yet.

Very little beef is consumed truly "fresh".

My guess would be that you are eating animals that have been fed/grazed vastly different finishing rations. The freshness of both animals was probably pretty similar.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remsen,

Step #1

😉

So does watermelon.

Sign on a watermelon patch: "One of these melons has been injected with poison."
Next morning: "One of these melons has..." crossed out and replaced with "Two of these melons have...."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Remsen,

Step #1

😉

So does watermelon.

Sign on a watermelon patch: "One of these melons has been injected with poison."
Next morning: "One of these melons has..." crossed out and replaced with "Two of these melons have...."

laugh laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It does matter what the cattle are fed.

Generally speaking....I find there to be a big difference between the fat on a grass fat and grain fat beef.

The grass fat animal normally has a stronger flavor....some people describe it as gamey. I personally can find not a single thing wrong with some of the grass fat animals that I have raised. I like the strong beef flavor.

There is grass fat and then there is grass FAT! The quality, and quantity of the grass makes a huge difference.

The beef you eat in Montana is probably grain fat unless otherwise specified. A great deal of that beef is barley finished.

The fat of these animals all tastes different.

Also, generally speaking....the least amount of time an animal will hang after killing is a week to ten days.

Two weeks is average at a locker plant. Three weeks is better yet.

Very little beef is consumed truly "fresh".

My guess would be that you are eating animals that have been fed/grazed vastly different finishing rations. The freshness of both animals was probably pretty similar.

Thanks, Jim, I learned something new today. I'll have to ask the butcher if he knows more about the feed and finishing (I suspect I'll get an earful).

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
[/quote]
I love General Tso's chicken but it is different (sometimes very different) wherever you go.[/quote]

You do know that's an American dish?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rob96
[/quote]
I love General Tso's chicken but it is different (sometimes very different) wherever you go.

[/quote]

No. I assumed since it's served in Chinese restaurants and not at KFC that it was not. smile

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7

[/quote]
No. I assumed since it's served in Chinese restaurants and not at KFC that it was not. smile[/quote]

Its a Chinese American dish which still makes it Ethic. You were correct in your assumption.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Originally Posted by Rooster7

No. I assumed since it's served in Chinese restaurants and not at KFC that it was not. smile[/quote]

Its a Chinese American dish which still makes it Ethic. You were correct in your assumption.
[/quote]

Thanks Fats!

***sticks tongue out at Rob96***

grin

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I remember fixing a dish for a "Mexican/South American" potluck dinner.
They told me I almost killed them with the heat from a dish fixed at "normal" New Mexican red
level of "Mecxican" food.

I always wonder how watered down/changed American versions of ethnic foods really are.
Thai is one that I really see a difference, when they open it may well be spicy and hot and going back later are closed or Americanized to meet the tasted buds of the local populace.

I think "authentic" ethnic depends on a fairly sizable local ethnic population to keep the doors open.
I think back to a class I took in the LA area and one of the folks offered to take us to an authentic ethnic place. A couple of the folks could not use chopsticks and the restaurant had a difficult time finding utensils for them to eat with.

Last edited by LouisB; 04/21/19.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 76 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.