24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have an RWS 34 T06, which I purchased new and I've had a terrible time sighting it in using the iron sights - it seems to be all over the place. Admittedly, I only tried to sight it in once, last summer when it was about 109° so that may have been a factor. I've had two Sherridans, which I grew up shooting and they were accurate as hell, but I've never had a high quality air rifle like my RWS 34 and I guess I'm just not used to it. The RWS is considerably heavier and somewhat cumbersome compared to my Sherridans and it is much more difficult to cock the break action (bordering on very difficult), but I imagine that it will get easier to cock with use - is it ok to dry fire one of these?

Is there a set procedure for sighting in such an air gun? At what range should I sight in - 50 feet?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
First, it's NOT okay to dry fire. Spring piston guns are kinda like compound bows........they need resistance to cushion the power stroke. Spring guns are very hold/rest sensitive compared to compressed air guns like your Sheridans. Variations in how you hold your rifle or rest the forend can change the POI and scatter pellets. Consistency is key. Also the weight and type of pellet can make a big difference, I haven't seen too many high powered spring guns shoot light weight pellets well.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Powerful spring piston guns can be very sensitive to how you hold them. In general most like to be held very loosely and if you are shooting them off a bag or something, it needs to be soft and allow the rifle to move. Put your hand under the forearm but do not grip it and hold it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the information. I did not realize that spring guns were so hold sensitive. I will give more care to my hold/rest the next time I attempt to sight it in. I was planning on sighting in at 50'. I have not dry fired the rifle, so i will continue to refrain from doing so. The pellets I am using are the RWS Superdome .22 cal., 14.5 gr.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The "artillery" hold is how most shoot powerful springers, with the exception of recoiless ones like my 54 Air King with its opposing springs. Allow it to recoil by resting, not holding, the forend.

Don't dry fire. Don't leave it cocked for more than an hour or so. Buy some felt cleaning pellets and use two to uncock it if you can't shoot it empty. Follow the lubrication schedule and it will last and last.

If you scope it, you'll likely need an angled rail to compensate for "barrel droop". Check Pyramyd Air for their recommendations. Also, the scope must be springer compatible, or you'll kill it in short order.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I watched a few videos on the artillery hold. I will give it a try. I do have an RWS scope that came with the rifle, but I want to use iron sights for now.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like to shoot my springgers off of a rolled up sleeping bag when shooting for groups. Firm enough support for accurate shooting yet gives when the gun cycles. In the field I like to shoot off a set of cross sticks with a leather connector. If you scope it make sure the mounts are very solid and have a pin that drops into the hole in the receiver. If not it will slip. It's a good idea to take a pencil and draw a line where the mounts connect to the receiver and draw a line around the rings/scope connection. Then if it moves you will be able to see it. Cheap mounts are responsible for many 'poor shooting' spring air rifles.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are touchy about hold because the recoil starts when the piston is released. The rifle starts moving before the pellet.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm not much of an iron sight guy anymore, so when I bought my 34, I had a red dot that wasn't being used and I put that on it. I have always hot it "in my hands" so to speak. When sighting in, I was at my bench but the forearm was in my hand and my hand was on a rest, butt stock against my shoulder. This simulates shooting it freehand, and I've had good success. The red dot has no magnification, so you do the best you can, but mine shoots great. I've had a ball.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 34 is scoped. But I've sighted it in anywhere from 50 feet to 150 yards. Depending on how I feel like playing that day. The gun is pretty hold sensitive. But it doesn't take too long to catch on to what they like and what they doesn't.

As far as feeding...……......….mine much prefers heavier pellets over light stuff.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
99 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,370 guests, and 696 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.