Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Originally Posted by Rug3
West Woods Outfitters
I have been greatly pleased each time I hunted with them. I highly commend them.
My next Newfoundland hunt will be with them again.
Recommended them to others who gave very positive feedback also.
Their clientele includes several returnees each year so early registration is important if you want to get in.

Check them out. Read the testimonials.

Google West Woods Outfitters.

I'll second Jim's recommendation of Westwoods. I'm going back with them next year. Stewart, Grace and their staff are all great people.
You might want to take along a pair of pants in the next size up as Grace is a great cook!

I'll third it. I did my first hunt with them and the next will be with them.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How tough is it to clear guns into Canada nowadays? What is the process?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Now you are going to make Pugs have a stroke... smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have heard varying stories on this....

I have a griz hunt booked in the Yukon next year, and have been told to fly through Calgary and NOT Vancouver. I guess that means that there's some aspect of individualism in the difficulty getting guns across or maybe it is a province vs province thing.....like California vs. Texas.

I have no idea what cities on the east side of Canada would be more friendly than others...but this is something to think about. If you're driving, I think the concept would be the same. Go through their customs at a "good" location.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Doesn't need to be difficult. My experiences in September were good, quick and easy.
Look up the current regs on Canada's website, download the current form, & fill out according to instructions. Carefully.
If flying allow some extra time on both ends of the flight. US Customs can be a bit of a wild card as can the Canadians.
Having your paperwork in order often seems to expedite things.
My 2 cents is that you view these as a formal business transaction, keep it simple, answer their questions.
Keep your jokes to yourself, save your questions til after the formalities are done.

When you arrive at customs, leave your gun(s) in their case in your vehicle, take the above mentioned forms into the office, present them, you passport, & make payment. They took credit cards at the office we passed thru just outside Maine. An officer may/will accompany you back out to your vehicle to confirm serial numbers. Then you are on your way.

The officers we dealt with were quite pleasant and chatty. Told us to be sure and have licenses & game reports (supplied by outfitter) available on return, which made that visit quick and easy as well.
The fee covers more than one gun, if you wish to take a backup. No extra charge or paperwork.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
New Foundland was easy to the guns in, coming back was a different story. Out of the 4 of us, no one had a 4457 form, good thing I worked a couple of cases with them guys or we would still would be sitting in jail!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Now you are going to make Pugs have a stroke... smile

Getting them into Canada is a piece of cake. US Customs coming home? At least in Toronto they were a morass of incompetence and indifference. Plan on 3+ hour layovers to get it done. Yes, I'm still pissed at those useless gov drones. I work with the gov every day and these were a new level of incompetence.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've cleared customs many times with gun coming back from Africa and Mexico. I'm used to dealing with the occasional dolt on the US side. Just wasn't sure about Canada. I'll avoid Toronto if possible, so thanks for the heads up.

Appreciate the info though. I'll google around and check out Canadian forms.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Twin Lakes with Craig Pelley did me right in 2015, but heard the moose population has gone down hill! Had a blast got a great meat bull, had the meat shipped home still eating it the vacuum sealed is still good! Had no issues coming home through Toronto has the US Customs paper work before I left! Simple to get and no problems coming home!

Last edited by Otis; 04/22/19.

Semper Fi USMC/0331
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I booked Tuckamore lodge for 2020.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Otis
Twin Lakes with Craig Pelley did me right in 2015, but heard the moose population has gone down hill! Had a blast got a great meat bull, had the meat shipped home still eating it the vacuum sealed is still good! Had no issues coming home through Toronto has the US Customs paper work before I left! Simple to get and no problems coming home!

We had no issues in 2014 either but last year they changed the entire procedure from one that worked fine to 3 hours of sitting and we all had our paperwork in order.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well that new PM is a duesh bag!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been reading intently the comments on customs and guns and am thankful I had no issues while hunting Moose in Newfoundland. My archery equipment never got a second look except one agent wanted to know why the field points and broadheads were not on the arrows. wink

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Otis

Where do you get the proper paperwork?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Form RCMP 5589 / CAFC 909 - http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/index-eng.htm#f909 (more info - http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm)

You also want to have a US form 4474 to make it easy to bring it back - https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/323/~/traveling-outside-of-the-u.s.---temporarily-taking-a-firearm%2C-rifle%2C-gun%2C

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pugs, can you not use the Form 4457 for your guns and personal items? That's the form I've used coming back from Africa and MX.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pugs, can you not use the Form 4457 for your guns and personal items? That's the form I've used coming back from Africa and MX.

Yep. Same form. Basically proves you had the same (expensive) stuff when you left the country.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Have two buddies who hunt with this guy every two years: https://www.anglingnewfoundlandlabrador.com/plan-and-book/outfitters/21896696

I will say that neither of them are the type to hunt out of a vehicle and they want to actually get out and about. Having said that, while they will certainly shoot a monster if they see it, they are meat hunters, so don't spend a lot of time assessing trophy quality.

In any case, they've gone 3 times in the last six years and used the same outfitter. That says something.

Myself, for the money, I'd sooner go to Africa.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've hunted with Red Indian Lake before and am headed back this October with them again. Highly recommend. Our group has gone 5 times total there. Always a great experience. I also hunted with another outfitter who I wont mention by name, they were good also, but much more rustic and a lot harder hunt for similar results. Wouldn't not recommend them, but be sure you know what you're getting in to.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Remember don't sign the Canadian paper work until you are standing in front of Canadian customs after they inspected your firearms! If you do you wasted your time and money!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.