Hop To
#13768927 04/24/19
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Curious why I don't see more frequent mention of Dozier Knives here. Any fans? I have yet to handle one.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a few. Think I only have 4 left. The 3 below plus a Canoe.
MOGC has owned a pile.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm
Curious why I don't see more frequent mention of Dozier Knives here. Any fans? I have yet to handle one.

They are workhorse knives. I’ve got a couple. Dozier amd Crotts.

Kinda no frills. I’ve picked all mine up second hand.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dozier knives have great heat treatment, great grinds and cut like champs. His ergonomics are also pretty good. They work and work well. They are not finished to the same level as something like an Ingram. They are also for the most part a bit chunky and not as light in the hand or as balanced. Dozier knives are less expensive than many other makers so I guess that counts for something when looking at the finish. I have owned a bunch of them over years but I have not bought a new Dozier in a long time.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Dozier knives have great heat treatment, great grinds and cut like champs. His ergonomics are also pretty good. They work and work well. They are not finished to the same level as something like an Ingram. They are also for the most part a bit chunky and not as light in the hand or as balanced. Dozier knives are less expensive than many other makers so I guess that counts for something when looking at the finish. I have owned a bunch of them over years but I have not bought a new Dozier for in a long time.

If you go on their website they have some knives built in St Paul ,handmade by Bob himself. I suspect some of those are higher finish & of a different quality and feel as the basic hunters ,listed in the " Arkansas made" section

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It is true. Bob puts a lot of his knowledge and skills into his handmade blades.

But you can get pretty much anything you want from the "Arkansas Made" line as well. They are cutters!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I only have one (sweetwater), but I'm a fan. Just a no-BS cutting tool that works and works well. He doesn't chase steel fads, which would no doubt help his sales.

Many of his patterns don't appeal to me, but I could say that about any other maker as well.

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by VinceM
Dozier knives have great heat treatment, great grinds and cut like champs. His ergonomics are also pretty good. They work and work well. They are not finished to the same level as something like an Ingram. They are also for the most part a bit chunky and not as light in the hand or as balanced. Dozier knives are less expensive than many other makers so I guess that counts for something when looking at the finish. I have owned a bunch of them over years but I have not bought a new Dozier for in a long time.

If you go on their website they have some knives built in St Paul ,handmade by Bob himself. I suspect some of those are higher finish & of a different quality and feel as the basic hunters ,listed in the " Arkansas made" section

Vince, worth noting quite a difference in price between the two.
I'm curious enough about the Arkansas knives that I may put myself on the (three year!) list.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can’t go wrong with Dan Crotts knives either.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Can’t go wrong with Dan Crotts knives either.

+1 to Daniel.
and Tom Krein over both...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm
Originally Posted by VinceM

Vince, worth noting quite a difference in price between the two.
I'm curious enough about the Arkansas knives that I may put myself on the (three year!) list.

They post new stuff FS weekly ,just about. Life is too short to wait 3 freakin years for tools

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple comments:

First, A.G. Russell (RIP) Knives normally has a large selection in stock, and is usually just a couple months out on orders.
-----------------> AGR Dozier Made

Second, Dozier traditionally takes literally boxes of knives to the major shows. More than some factories. BLADE is in about six weeks. Right after, most every big knife purveyor on the internet will have them in stock, and the Featured Inventory page Vince pointed out will carry the leftovers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first hand made hunting knives I ever bought , were Dozier. How I got to know about 'em ,I somehow had an AG Russell catalogue put in my PO Box as a mistake. And NO i did not turn it in to the postmaster ,it had good stuff in it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a YPS in sheep horn with wilderness sheath. It is about all I could ask of a hunting knife. I am a huge fan of Dozier and really like his wilderness sheath. I don't much care for his horizontal sheaths.

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Couple comments:

First, A.G. Russell (RIP) Knives normally has a large selection in stock, and is usually just a couple months out on orders.
-----------------> AGR Dozier Made

Second, Dozier traditionally takes literally boxes of knives to the major shows. More than some factories. BLADE is in about six weeks. Right after, most every big knife purveyor on the internet will have them in stock, and the Featured Inventory page Vince pointed out will carry the leftovers.

Good Intel, thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the dozier kydex sheaths. Though I’m lefty and all the ones I’ve picked are righty.

First heard of dozier knives from the small black and white ad in the back of some hunting(?) magazine.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve owned quite a few Doziers that I’ve bought from Bob when he sets up at the big Tulsa Show. He makes good stuff!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 26 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.