Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just killed a jake at 47 yards with a single shot of Winchester XX Turkey 3" #5 copper clad. 12ga, Carlson extended choke (I believe.665). Not fancy. Stone dead.

I've killed lots with plain old lead.
Once I run out of the dedicated turkey loads I have I may buy some TSS to try out.. Or not. It's not really all that hard to kill them, but trying new stuff is fun.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I would use what patterns the best.

That's the secret, and always has been. I've been experimenting with turkey guns and chokes for over 25 years, looking for that "perfect" combination. I've got a bunch of half boxes of all different brands of shells I've tried. Don't be fooled into thinking that you have to use expensive shells or some magic formula shot, because you don't. Plain old lead will do just as good a job.....providing you do yours. It's no different than deer hunting, as people have been killing deer for years with the old tried and true cartridges every bit as good as they have with the new ones.

As I said, I've experimented quite a bit with different shells.......Federal, Remington, Winchester, and Heavyweight. Long ago, I settled on Winchester Supreme's, and lately have started using the Longbeard's. I just killed a bird this past week with a 20 gauge Longbeard #5 at 48 yards, a much longer shot than I like to take with any shotgun. But, I'd patterned it and knew what it would do. Again, that's the key......pattern your gun with different shells, and different chokes. Also, don't be ashamed to shoot plain old lead, because I'll tell you a little secret.......it will kill them just as dead as shot costing 5 times more.

Having said all that, suit yourself and use whatever trips your trigger. Over the years, I've quit overthinking the turkey hunting game, and have quit guying new calls and decoys, and every other kind of gadget that comes on the market. You don't need all that to kill a turkey. What you need is patience and persistence. Everything else is just to spend money on needlessly.

About 25 years ago I would read anything I could about turkey hunting. Always looking for that secret tip. The forestry professor that I worked under loved to turkey hunt and was good at it. I learned a lot hunting with him. One secret bit of info I got from him was concerning calls. I asked him what was best. Never forgot his reply and have followed his secret ever since. I always pass it on too.

His reply concerning calls? Buy what's on sale at the end of the season. Speaks volumes and easy to extrapolate to every aspect of turkey hunting. BTW, he never wore camo other than a face mask. Dark green clothes and boots up to his knees worked fine.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.