Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have several friends that like the pro hunter in their 30-06’s but I’ve watched a couple of their deer take 2 shots to anchor them. Both initial shots would’ve been fatal (eventually) but the deer traveled and they had to track them through reprod for a good while. The second shots put them down for good. They both watched my .308 drop a couple larger mule deer in their tracks using TSX and TTSX and were impressed which prompted them to change their bullet choices. They like the Prohunter and Gameking because they’re accurate but in my opinion there are much better choices. I know there are guys that swear by them and I don’t want to start an argument so if they’ve worked well for you and you have confidence in them then by all means use them. I’m merely relating my experience with them. I also don’t like interbonds as I’ve seen complete cup and core separation and less than ideal performance. I use premium ammunition that shoots well in my rifles, in my .338 it’s any mono, TBBC, A-Frame and Scirrocos. In my other rifles I’ve been satisfied with the TSX and TTSX. I basically use all monos now and have been extremely impressed by their performance.

For relatively common, missionary position bullets the Core-lokts are the “deadliest mushroom in the woods”. 😁

Good luck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My father in law used mostly Sierra bullets for 37 years in Alaska. But he didn’t follow Internet forums so didn’t know that [bleep] he killed should have died differently. Used 220 round nose in .30-06 and .300 win mag before switching to 200 grain game kings on moose and caribou

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I have several friends that like the pro hunter in their 30-06’s but I’ve watched a couple of their deer take 2 shots to anchor them. Both initial shots would’ve been fatal (eventually) but the deer traveled and they had to track them through reprod for a good while. The second shots put them down for good. They both watched my .308 drop a couple larger mule deer in their tracks using TSX and TTSX and were impressed which prompted them to change their bullet choices. They like the Prohunter and Gameking because they’re accurate but in my opinion there are much better choices. I know there are guys that swear by them and I don’t want to start an argument so if they’ve worked well for you and you have confidence in them then by all means use them. I’m merely relating my experience with them. I also don’t like interbonds as I’ve seen complete cup and core separation and less than ideal performance. I use premium ammunition that shoots well in my rifles, in my .338 it’s any mono, TBBC, A-Frame and Scirrocos. In my other rifles I’ve been satisfied with the TSX and TTSX. I basically use all monos now and have been extremely impressed by their performance.

For relatively common, missionary position bullets the Core-lokts are the “deadliest mushroom in the woods”. 😁

Good luck.

Could you share specifics on the incident(s) where you saw core separations with Interbonds? That’s a bonded bullet do a separation would seem to be unlikely.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My .30-06 shoots the 165 Game King well enough, but I have been somewhat reluctant to use them on large deer and elk for the reasons stated above. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I called Sierra several years ago to talk specifically about tough 30 cal bullets in a 30-06 for bears. They steered me away from gamekings in 180 and 200 in favor of the 180 PH. I loaded some up with good accuracy, but never put one in a bear as I usually had Interlocks or partitions loaded for the rifles I carried.

I did shoot a whitetail buck chasing a doe with the last of them I had left. The bullet didn’t seem to blink, zipped right through.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The last 5 deer i have taken with 180gr SGK loaded in a 300WM. All shots were under 100yds. Three were broadside just behind the shoulders. Bullet went in and out with the deer going 10yds. On another one a big doe was shot in the neck. Through and through taking out an artery, breaking the neck and flipping her head over heals. Dead right there. The 5th deer, a big buck I went to shot broadside but he turned towards me and I hit him in the shoulder near me. Bullet must have fractured as one piece went up through the spine and exited. Another piece (small) went through the heart snd the remainder smashing the opposite shoulder. He collapsed dead where he stood.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I used the 117 gameking in a marlin xl7 25-06 for 2 seasons. Those couple years and I had lots of doe tags and buck tags on a couple states and ended up killing a pile of critters, all deer and antelope. Several DRT, some ran a few yards, but overall they performed well. With that said, several didn’t exit on broadside shots of antelope and damage was excessive on some. Definitely a pretty soft bullet. That gun and bullet have been the most accurate factory rifle I ever owned. Consistently shooting sub 1” groups at 300 YARDS!

Last edited by KU_Geo; 04/26/19.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I first started using Sierra 243 85 gr. HPBT it was a MatchKing bullet its now a GameKing bullet. For several decades I have used it for deer control shooting put it in the lungs of a deer there DRT or go a short distance.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ive used the 250 grain .338 Gameking with great success on muleys and elk. Was my go to bullet until they went on backorder for ola long time a few year back, have since switched to the 225 sst.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a friend that swears by the 160 gk over 59 grns of IMR4831 for Elk.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bullet entered the opposite shoulder and exited here.
7rem mag
160 gameking
75 or 100 yard shot

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Bullet entered the opposite shoulder and exited here.
7rem mag
160 gameking
75 or 100 yard shot

[Linked Image]

Photoshop,

and you making a 100 yd shot.......

pffftttt......................

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The only really big game I've shot with Sierras were moose; and they seemed to die in the approved fashion. The 130 grain flat-base 270 through the ribs, tipped them over like a big deer. I've also used the 215 Pro-hunter in the .338 Win. How well that one works depends on whether you go by the results or what the bullet looks like when its over. The they seem to like to slip their jackets right about the time they stop moving forward; with the jacket and core either right together or easily pulled apart with your fingers and about 1/2 their weight shed if you don't count the loose jacket. On the other hand; the moose tended to be dead so all is not lost. Frankly, they wouldn't be my first choice but a friend is quite happy shooting grizzlies and everything else in BC with them.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always admired Sierra's accuracy. Their 90 gr HP has always been accurate, and devastating, on varmints, in my 270's.
I think that Sierra built the most accurate bullet back in the 70's. The competition has improved in recent decades.
On big game, I view Sierra bullets, as adequate in the 300 Savage and 35 Whelens. Not so much in faster calibers.
Sierra's are "go to" bullets for testing accuracy in any new rifle.
Calibers loaded to run above 2900 fps were, and are, fed Partitions or recently, ETips, for hunting big game.
50 years later, my opinion of Sierra remains the same..

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
My vote is for neither. Not a fan of Sierra on game after seeing many results ( Though they were on dead animals, so what else do you need to know?)

One exception, oddly enough is their .224 caliber 63 gr SMP that Dober turned me on to...supposed to be a 'varmint' bullet but performs very well indeed on medium game.

Same as everything else...opinions and experiences differ, its why God invented Blondes, brunettes and redheads...

Last edited by ingwe; 04/27/19.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just because they resulted in a dead animal doesn't mean they performed well. Sierra bullets have produced some atrocious wounds on animals I have shot them with, even with somewhat big caliber, heavier bullets such as the .308" 180 GameKing, especially when impact velocity is high.

Slow them down, shoot them out of a .30-30 or something like that and they'll be fine I am sure, but they're not for me and my normal hunting rifles.
I have also found them to be like Nosler bullets, in that they're normally accurate out to X yards, then their accuracy goes to hell, I presume because their internal concentricity (or lack of) causes them to wobble like a Marine on liberty once they slow down to a certain point.

The 63 SMP is the sole exception for me, out of my .22 hi power. I believe it is a varminter bullet though, not a GameKing or Pro-Hunter and I sure as hell don't shoot it long range.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I shot a buck last fall with a 150gr .277 game king at about 3000 fps from a .270 WCF and the bullet exploded. Shot was 50 yards or so. Deer dropped dead but you could have put a truck tire through the exit wound. It was literally bigger than a basket ball. Total bullet failure. Ive used Hornandy interlocks in the past with the same velocity and have never had one do that.

I really like the way the Sierra bullets shoot but I won't hunt with them any more. Better options available...and for less money in some cases.

GOD Bless America
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Quak
I shot a buck last fall with a 150gr .277 game king at about 3000 fps from a .270 WCF and the bullet exploded. Shot was 50 yards or so. Deer dropped dead but you could have put a truck tire through the exit wound. It was literally bigger than a basket ball. Total bullet failure. Ive used Hornandy interlocks in the past with the same velocity and have never had one do that.

I really like the way the Sierra bullets shoot but I won't hunt with them any more. Better options available...and for less money in some cases.

It seems like conventional wisdom has been to keep the velocity with cup and cores something less than 2800 fps give or take. Your bullet would have been doing about 2900 fps at impact. Did it hit bone too? As for Hornady vs Sierra, I don't know that you can make a blanket statement about all Interlocks vs all Sierras, as sometimes there are differences with specific bullets. Case in point, BC30cal had a bad experience with the Hornady 220 gr (and he wasn't pushing it too fast either), while others attest to the Sierra 220 gr as well regarded ( Experience with 220 grain Sierra round nose or 220 grain Federal factory ammo? , 220 Grain .30-06 Loads (John Barsness weighs in on the 2nd thread link).

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I started out with cup and cores in the late ‘60’s......308 Win. and .375 H&H! Went to Nosler Partitions in the late ‘80’s....in a 270 Win. Then to Barnes X Bullets in the early ‘90’s. The only bullet that I considered a “bullet failure” which exhibited utter and complete “disintegration” was a 300 grain Sierra from an H&H, at well under 2800 fps impact velocity. And, 2 of the three were small big game....the other an elk! Those 300’s when fired into a test median right beside a 270 grain Hornady.....again failed miserably, while the Hornady performance was very impressive! I could not find any remnants of the Sierra.....perhaps if I had used a “screened box”, I may have found some bullet material. They were however, pretty impressive when used on prairie dogs! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Just because they resulted in a dead animal doesn't mean they performed well. Sierra bullets have produced some atrocious wounds on animals I have shot them with, even with somewhat big caliber, heavier bullets such as the .308" 180 GameKing, especially when impact velocity is high.

Slow them down, shoot them out of a .30-30 or something like that and they'll be fine I am sure, but they're not for me and my normal hunting rifles.
I have also found them to be like Nosler bullets, in that they're normally accurate out to X yards, then their accuracy goes to hell, I presume because their internal concentricity (or lack of) causes them to wobble like a Marine on liberty once they slow down to a certain point.

The 63 SMP is the sole exception for me, out of my .22 hi power. I believe it is a varminter bullet though, not a GameKing or Pro-Hunter and I sure as hell don't shoot it long range.

Having run thousands of Sierra bullets over a Juenke I completely disagree on concentricity being a Sierra problem. They simply are as good as they come. The old screw-machine Partitions are the only ones close.

Also, like any stabilization issue, it shows up from the start if it is there. Run a thousand Core-Lokts over the Juenke and watch how the tiny handful of perfect ones shoot compared to the average...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.