Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would love to hear more experiences with the 232 Vulkans on game as well. The 232 oryx too for that matter. Thanks for all the great posts and information on the 9.3x62mm to all.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Haven't used the Vulkan, but the Oryx tends to expand very widely at modern 9.3x62 velocities, so doesn't penetrate all that deeply. This is no big deal on deer-sized game, in fact sometimes helps kill quicker.

In fact Oryx bullets tend to expand widely in ALL calibers, so even though they typically retain around 90% of their weight, don't penetrate as deeply as most other controlled-expanding bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John,

Looking at the above list from the Handloader article, I'm guessing the 250gr "Barnes X-Bullet" is the old version of the "X"?

I'll be looking for a load for an upcoming fall cow elk hunt and want to try the newer X bullets. Is it safe to assume that the newer versions will produce a bit less pressure due to the grooves on the shank now?

And, any idea what a good overall length might be for a CZ as used above?

I may try the GMX and possibly some other brands of "non-toxic" bullets if available. I may want to use the rifle here in Cali if I should be so lucky as to draw here.

As always, thanks for your input on this site.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
icedog,

Have you considered a 280-300 grain .366 or .367 inch GCCB in front of that Varget powder, at about 2000FPS??
(Any Western Hemisphere game animal won't care that it was quickly killed by a cheap/hard-hitting cast bullet.)

I suspect that that load would take ANY dangerous game out to 200M, with the possible exception of elephant, which I'll never hunt.

An old boarding school chum of mine has taken SEVERAL moose with his 290 grain homebrewed bullets. = Raney calls his cast handload, "THE BONEBREAKER".

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Geno,

Yep, that was the original 250-grain Barnes X, and yes, you should be able to use a little more powder safely with the TSX.

In my CZ 9,3x62, I generally seat all spitzers just shy of magazine length. So far they've all shot well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have shot 12+ deer with the Norma Oyrx 232, in a CZ 550. RL-15 load from JB. MOA at 100 yards and a bit better. Never had a deer go more than 10 yards usually less. Hammer of Thor perhaps. One I hit in the shoulder, the bullet did expanded and break apart. Deer did a little circle and fell. Buddy's in the woods said they always knew when I shot. Called it a Cannon? Works well for me. JB's 250g loads also shot to about the same point of impact. Not really a rifle or load for more than abut 250 yards, but when you want them down, NOW, it works very well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks John, I'll try that length.

You and Eileen enjoy your spring.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For some reason, My CZ550 never did like the Barnes bullets. About 2" at 100 yards. Also a lot of copper fouling in the bore. Mine has a long throat, unless beyond 250g never could reach the land before the magazine limit.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have not found reaching the lands necessary in several 9.3x62's. The CZ's (and most others) have very long throats, since like many early smokeless cartridges the 9.3 was developed around heavy, round-nosed bullets, which required a long throat.

When I have problems getting bullets to shoot well in long-throated chambers anymore, I try seating them deeper. Often up to .10 inch deeper results in much better accuracy. (This also applies even with "standard" throated chambers and longer bullets.)

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
With the Norma Oryx 232's, I seated them about a caliber into the case, no way they would hit the lands. Way to short. No where near the mag limit either.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mule Deer; All,

Inasmuch as 'ole Otto Bock designed his 9.3x62mm specifically for hunting moose, reindeer, Red Deer & wild boar in the forests of Europe. - The caliber worked so well on large European game that German colonists in Africa started using the caliber for dangerous game there, where it proved to be very suitable for farmers/ranchers there in much the same role that the Winchester & other makers (mostly) LA rifles served in the USA/Canada. = A rifle that was suitable for taking the game that was native to that area & that could easily be carried by a horseman.

For farmers/ranchers, the BIG double rifles were too heavy & clumsy to carry easily across the pommel of a saddle AND those double-rifles were VERY expensive when compared to the Mauser-based BA.. - Also, a BA rifle of the sort that Mauser made did not require a gunbearer to hunt with when afoot..

I don't know about the rest of the 9.3x62 "addicts" like me, but I don't even consider the old 9.3x62 as a rifle for long range & consider as it as a "powerhouse" at 200M or less for ANY big game, Worldwide.
(Many rhino, Cape Buffalo, lion, large antelope, zebra & elephant were efficiently taken with the 9.3x62 using LONG, heavy for caliber, round-nose bullets of 270 grains or more.)

Personally, I use only TWO sorts of bullets in my 9.3x62.: The 286 grain JSP/solid or my homebrew about 280 grain GCCB. - BOTH bullets work well at the range & for hunting the game animals for which the so-called "Big Mauser" was designed.
(I really don't see a real need for a <250 grain bullet in the 9.3x62, though obviously everyone is free to use whatever weapon that they choose.)

just my OPINION, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tex,

I have read a LOT about the history of the 9.3x62, and have yet to find a reference that suggests Otto Bock designed it primarily for larger European game. Instead all the histories of the cartridge I've found state that it was primarily designed for German settlers in Africa, as a round suitable for anything there that would fit and function in the standard K98 action. If you have original sources that suggest otherwise, would like to hear about them.

Dunno why somebody would refuse to use modern powders and bullets in an older cartridge, just because that's not the way it was originally designed. Otherwise the .30-06 would be stuck with 150-grain spitzers at 2700 fps and 220 roundnoses at 2400. Using higher ballistic coefficient, controlled-expansion 250's at 2650 fps makes the 9.3x62 much more versatile. Have used it quite handily to 300+ yards, and also up close, on a LOT of big game in both North America and Africa with fine results.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mule Deer,

QUESTION: Have you had problems with "disappearing posts"?? - I just posted a comment (that I'm repeating here) that is evidently GONE altogether, though I got a notice on-screen that said that the comment had been posted.

What I said in that post was: Check out the 9.3x62mm chapter in the book BIG BORE RIFLES. = When I locate my copy, I'll PM you the page number
I further suspect that there are other similar comments in books & magazine articles, as I remember a somewhat similar comment in (I think) an old issue of SHOOTING TIMES.. Also possibly in one of the GUN DIGEST books.

In any case, I ended my original comments with:: "in my OPINION, tex". = NUFF said.

ADDENDA: In the event that I'm planning to hunt an animal larger/tougher than WT deer/feral pigs, it's the reformatted, by JES, Remington Model 760 in 9.3x62mm that I automatically reach for, I load it with 286 grain JHP or my "homebrewed" GGCB at about 2000FPS. = Either load kills WELL & without excessive use of power, muzzle blast or "kicking my shoulder off". - It's one of my two favorite calibers for hunting.
(My "pet" rifle is a Model 760 in .300SAV from 1954.)

NOTE: As I'm in the process of "transitioning to" ALL pump long-guns, I have a "near new" Model 7400 , with Remington factory engraving that I'd sell CHEAP. - It's in .243WCF & wears a nice scope.
(I would also happily trade it for an "old school" Model 760 in .256 Roberts or .35REM.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04/29/19. Reason: add

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So is BIG BORE RIFLES the book by Michael McIntosh? Or somebody else?

Am a little puzzled by your last paragraph. Do you mean you've killed a bunch of game larger than deer and pugs with a "286 JHP" or your "homebrewed" GGCB? Or that you've killed a bunch of deer and pigs with them?

Yours,
John

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mule Deer,

I just looked it up. - The actual name of the book is BIG BORE RIFLES & CARTRIDGES. - I don't see an authors name in the cover-photo on amazon.com

YEP, I've killed a GREAT MANY feral pigs over the years with a number of different weapons including a Model 1911A! in .45ACP.

I've similarly taken more than my fair share of WT deer.

SO FAR, my largest/toughest takes have been WILD/FERAL bulls in the far south TX brush & thickets. = SOME of those feral bulls weigh about 1500#. - IF you know a rancher, who has a "wild bull" problem (They tear down fences, very efficiently, breed expensive/registered cows & damage other ranch equipment/property, too.), that's EXCITING hunting for sure & DEFINITELY a job for a BIG BORE rifle.
(In 1984 I was asked by as local OK sheriff to hunt down & KILL a "gone wild & DANGEROUS as H", HUGE gray/black Brahma-cross bull. - After several days of hunting, I finally a got a shot at him with a borrowed .416 Rigby Magnum ======> He was converted into hamburger meat at our local Scout Camp & fed a great many Boy Scouts/adults that year.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04/29/19. Reason: add/spelling

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So what company published your BIG BORE RIFLES AND CARTRIDGES?

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mule deer,

I cannot answer that question, as I looked & can't find my copy. (I'm having to move residences & am packing stuff up. My copy's in one of the cartons of books.) = I looked the book up on www.amazon.com & found a photo of the book's cover on the site but with no author's name visible.

CHECK YOUR MAIL.

ADDENDA: Found the publisher on amazon.com: WOLFE PUBLISHING CO, from 1991 The website under "author" says: Compilation/Various

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04/29/19. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mule Deer,

Btw, the MOST DANGEROUS animal that I ever "hunted" was about 73" tall & weighed 140#.

She finally caught me in 1976 & in 1983 she tried to shoot me with my own S&W .45ACP revolver. = Thanks be to Heaven, she MISSED but did hit/damage my 1976 MB ragtop.
(That was one "lovely to look upon" & 100% CRAZY lady. = It cost me 60,000.oo to get her out of Dallas, forever. - CHEAP at 10X the price.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So what company published your BIG BORE RIFLES AND CARTRIDGES?

satx has a "thing" about revealing his sources... grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
JB

there's a book titled Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges
published in 1991 by Wolfe
in it is a chapter titiled "The Indomitable 9.3x62" written by al miller

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
660 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 73 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.