Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13777334 04/28/19
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

shoes that is....got a trip booked...wondering about shoes. Boots….that are maybe a little more quiet.

I almost always hunt in rainey...snowing.....so don't think about drier conditions...….bob

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at some Courteneys at African Sporting Creations. Have used the Safari boot on two trips. Well made and quiet. Jim was very helpful in getting me in the right size. Russells would be good too. Redwing 7" Wing shooter boot would also be a good option. I would personally prefer the waterproof version but that's all they have on their website. Sole is more quiet tho. Some people advocate tennis shoes, but I prefer something a little more substantial.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had good luck with Desert boots with their thick crepe soles. They are very quiet and tough enough to resist thorns. They don't offer a lot of support though so I wear custom orthotics.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Whatever you get they need to cost about as much as a pair of Lucchese ridge-back alligator boots. More would be even better.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Whatever you get they need to cost about as much as a pair of Lucchese ridge-back alligator boots. More would be even better.

am looking for something a little more reasonable….thorn protection would be nice...…..bob

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I used the same boots in Africa that I use to hunt mule deer out here in the desert.....Wolverine leather slip on boots without laces, rubber soles. They grip, they're extremely comfy, and the laces don't attract thorns and stickers. I don't wear short pants hunting in Africa either....don't get it. I've never felt the need for specialized hunting clothing when going to Africa. I hunt over there with the same stuff I hunt with here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016CRESM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobMt

shoes that is....got a trip booked...wondering about shoes. Boots….that are maybe a little more quiet.

I almost always hunt in rainey...snowing.....so don't think about drier conditions...….bob

Where to?

Most of southern Africa is not super demanding. Comfort is #1 for me. Over ankle length. My favorites have been mil surplus jungle type boots. Currently, French or Italian SF boots. Canvas uppers, speed laces, and very comfortable. Many guys hunt RSA in athletic shoes. No mountains to speak of, flatish terrain. I'm not afan of that because of dust and burs and thorns.

These are the French version. I was introduced to them 25 years ago by my PH in Cameroon. He used them and I like them. Zero break in perio,. well WORTH the cheap price and well made.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-French-Ranger-Boots-Lace-Up-Canvas-Army-Footwear/152701182681?hash=item238db322d9:m:mmGclqZu4E8zCAqc2E29_XQ

If you have hilly, mountain terrain, you might go with more ankle support.

Have fun!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those look nice, too.

Do or do not, there is no try.
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

thanks JG...….I have to have lace up though...….I also don't feel the need to have " Africa clothing".....but I will probably need clothes more suited to the desert than here in Montana…..bob

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Hatari…..Zambia...…..i also hate getting crap in my shoes...cheat grass here...will check those boots out......bob

IC B3

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

ND.....those look nice......it would be like throwing champagne on a pig.....bob

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I've had good luck with Desert boots with their thick crepe soles. They are very quiet and tough enough to resist thorns. They don't offer a lot of support though so I wear custom orthotics.

this seems to be the route to take.....bob

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I really like the Russell PH series. These can be ordered with the classic crepe soles or the Vibram airlight that has a little more grip but is still quiet. They have the ultimate stalking shoe with only a bullhide sole but not so good in the rocky areas of West Texas or for the Koppes in Africa. If you go with a cloth shoe might take a look at the Turtle Skin gators which can turn most thorns with the added bonus of being snake proof. If I bring two pairs of shoes the second is either a Merrell Moab mid or some updated tactical desert boots.

The Turtle skin is not the quietest but are ok under long pants if you need to be quieter. https://turtleskin.com/default/outdoor-snake-protection.html One model of the Russell PH and their turkey boots or thorn/snake proof models have Turtle shin under canvas or leather, I have the Turkey boot and they are quiet comfortable and only hot when the temperatures are at 90+ degrees but any boot would be hot then. For a quieter gator several safari oriented stores have canvas ones mostly to keep seeds and burs out of your shoes.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I wear the same boots that I wear hunting anywhere else. I basically have two pair of Danners, one insulated and one not, both Goretex. Obiously, the non-insulated go to Africa. I wear Boyt gators so laces are not an issue. I generally wear shorts, the same ones I am wearing as I type.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
BobMt,

For many years I mostly wore the typical "veldskoen," made with relatively thin crepe-rubber soles and ankle-height leather uppers, often called "chukka boots" in the U.S. You could buy a pair for $20-$30 in Africa, and the most comfortable I bought were made in Namibia with kudu hide. Bought two pairs there in 1999, and should have bought more, because they were so comfortable (far cooler than either hunting boots or synthetic running shoes, and quieter) that I wore them too damn much during summers here in Montana, or even during early autumn hunting seasons. In most African country they worked fine without socks, but in thicker grass or thornbush they worked better with light gaiters.

Heavy boots are not needed in most African hunting, and even light running shoes can be pretty warm--though that's what most PH's wear because Chinese-made shoes are so cheap over there that they affordable veldskoen. The last pair of veldskoen I bought was in South Africa in 2003, and they were made of cow-hide rather than kudu-hide, so were thicker and warmer. Wore them out here too.

Have seen similar shoes/boots starting to make a comeback in the U.S., and have bought one pair, just in case. There was more than one reason for veldskoen.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I took some middle of the road Lowas- uninsulated etc. Way overkill. If I ever go back I will take my current pair of work boots which are Georgia boot wedge work boot. Light, quiet comfortable and cheap. My PH had similar boots. I guess it was a case of live and learn.

[Linked Image]

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Where are you hunting? I was in the Kalahari, and quite frankly, barefoot or flip-flops would have been fine. I took hiking shoes and would have been better off with "tennis shoes."

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

I will be in Zambia hunting with the du poolys…..sounds like my Merrill's will be fine......1st of June is the time line weather wise.

thanks everyone for the comments...….bob

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you are in Windhoek or similar sized city you may want to order a pair of Velle Shoes (Veldt Shoes) as Mule Deer suggested. They could be made to order in a week or two and they had models in Kudu, Seal, Shark and Buffalo skin. If I go back I will get one pair of Kudu and one with Buffalo hide. The Kudu with crepe soles and the buffalo with tire soles.

You could even send a tracing of your foot to your PH if he is amenable and have them waiting for you. The Kudu and Seal skin ones take very little breaking in. But there is much to recommend an inexpensive unlined work boot that you could just leave behind if you needed to lighten your baggage.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Look at some Courteneys at African Sporting Creations. Have used the Safari boot on two trips. Well made and quiet. Jim was very helpful in getting me in the right size. Russells would be good too. Redwing 7" Wing shooter boot would also be a good option. I would personally prefer the waterproof version but that's all they have on their website. Sole is more quiet tho. Some people advocate tennis shoes, but I prefer something a little more substantial.

I live in reasonably warm clime and the Courteney Safari are excellent poking about in the scrub...but make damn sure you use sock prtotectors with them or you will be picking grass seeds out of your socks each night.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.