Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
The amazing thing is my eyes at age 44 still see irons about as clearly as they did when I was young so I figure I need to hunt with this stuff

****** while I can still see the sights.

You got that right. I'm 69 y o and only need reading glasses BUT that makes rear sights BLURRY !!

I was 45 in 1994 when I got my FIRST pair of readers. Everyone is different but Use em while you can.

OTOH, I can STILL use irons on a handgun........it's at arms length.

Again, Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by moosemike
The amazing thing is my eyes at age 44 still see irons about as clearly as they did when I was young so I figure I need to hunt with this stuff

****** while I can still see the sights.

You got that right. I'm 69 y o and only need reading glasses BUT that makes rear sights BLURRY !!

I was 45 in 1994 when I got my FIRST pair of readers. Everyone is different but Use em while you can.

OTOH, I can STILL use irons on a handgun........it's at arms length.

Again, Good Luck

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. Glad to hear it hasn't messed up your handgunning.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Moose, what alloy and lube are you using?

BTW, having too much fun is still legal!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I have gotten older, what I am hunting with and who I am hunting with has become much more important than any trophy. I had a couple of rifles this past year that I wanted to take a deer with because both were favorite rifles that took me years and no small amount of luck to come up with. I will always remember the days hunting with those rifles when easy shots were passed up as well as the days when the deer was taken.
Spending time in the woods on a hunt with a rifle like your Winchester 92 would add some very valuable memories, and the success of the hunt would be certain... whether or not game was taken.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Moose, what alloy and lube are you using?

BTW, having too much fun is still legal!

Right now I'm running soft lead from Desperado bullets and they come pre lubed. Now barrel leading is an issue with these so I'm going to order hard cast and I'm going to have to figure out what lube to get. Interestingly I loaded up some Hornady 180 XTP's intended for the 10mm and I used blackpowder. Turns out the gun absolutely loves them. Much more accurate than with soft cast. So I think it's really going to like hard cast.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mathsr
As I have gotten older, what I am hunting with and who I am hunting with has become much more important than any trophy. I had a couple of rifles this past year that I wanted to take a deer with because both were favorite rifles that took me years and no small amount of luck to come up with. I will always remember the days hunting with those rifles when easy shots were passed up as well as the days when the deer was taken.
Spending time in the woods on a hunt with a rifle like your Winchester 92 would add some very valuable memories, and the success of the hunt would be certain... whether or not game was taken.

This is where I'm getting too with my hunting as well.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As an aside, I can remember my Grandfather taking his 1894 Marlin 38-40 to Bear Camp one year. That's a cool memory. He tied a rope on it for a sling. That was a nice gun but I didn't end up with it my Uncle did.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Arcus Venator
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.