Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just wondering if anyone has experience with this bullet on deer from a .223.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, works great at those speeds out to distances most shouldn’t be shooting anyway. Rib shots are the goal but if a shoulder gets in the way it’s not the end of the world other than being a bit messy..

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I've only killed 2 with that combo, but no complaints.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good to know.

I've been messing with the 108 gr version from my 6mm Creedmoor.

Dang! That little Hornady is one mighty accurate bullet! If it works well on deer too... smile

Guy

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If I started using my 223 on deer what would I do with my 7-08?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rickt300
If I started using my 223 on deer what would I do with my 7-08?

Having seen a book deer that was not small, fall to a 69 SMK with a lung shot and not overly blown out, IE bullet worked just fine, there really isn't a lot of use for bigger rounds.

Heck we shoot most of ours these days with a 10mm Glock and a 300/221 with 194s at about 1000 fps... just doesn't take much unless you are after the once in a lifetime and need worst angle, max distance type of thing.... yes I'd hunt with such as a 338 mag in Deep South for BIG deer... or Mexico etc...

And having killed a deer past 550 with 223 and 75 amax, and with a truck of witnesses... the 223 can do a lot

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Texans can only "if". Congratulations?!?

The 75 ELD is more than stalwart.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Oh man you're not supposed to use match bullets for hunting...

Public landowner...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Hint..................

Maybe if your night hunting.........but for daylight hunting in the thorn trees I like more gun.

Last edited by rickt300; 05/10/19.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cinch

I have an aversion to that too...that said in the .223 there are lots of proper hunting bullets now, lighter weight, better velocities than the 75 and long time proven killers....

JMHO

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

J
J
75 eld-m is stupid accurate and kills deer dead. It's my go to hunting bullet for my 223ai, and I always laugh at the old school mentality that folks have where I am. It's always fun to watch minds be blown with the performance of the 75 eld-m compared to what preconceived notions are. Shot placement first, bullet second, headstamp a distant third.

I hunt in Texas, and it's more than plenty for any game native to Texas. People wringing their hands about it either have no first hand experience with the bullet, or are just stuck on the idea that bigger always equals better...meanwhile, I'm piling primers practicing with less cost, less recoil, and more performance than most people even understand.

Where I hunt, Hill Country deer are not big, and most shots are easily inside of 200 yards. The first year I hunted with a 223ai, my uncle and cousins about threw a fit with the idea that 223 isn't enough gun as compared to their 270's, 7 mags, and 30-06's. Never mind that that they're shooting a factory rifle with a sloppy chambering, a tasco scope, and remington core-lokt. Never mind that actual data matters. Some people simply don't know what they don't know, but I have the luxury of not guessing.

Fear not...75 eld-m is money. Hard Stop.

Otherwise, the 65 gameking wrecks shop, as does a 62 tsx...or a swift...or a nosler partiiton....but none shoot as sweet, in my experience, as the 75 eld-m.

Last edited by JPipes; 05/14/19.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Short range on hogs, the Speer 55,62, and 75g Gold dot bonded will get'r done, 223 AI & 22/250 AI is a shore nuff magnum. [bleep] ain't hard to kill...probably heard that before.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JPipes
75 eld-m is stupid accurate and kills deer dead. It's my go to hunting bullet for my 223ai, and I always laugh at the old school mentality that folks have where I am. It's always fun to watch minds be blown with the performance of the 75 eld-m compared to what preconceived notions are. Shot placement first, bullet second, headstamp a distant third.

I hunt in Texas, and it's more than plenty for any game native to Texas. People wringing their hands about it either have no first hand experience with the bullet, or are just stuck on the idea that bigger always equals better...meanwhile, I'm piling primers practicing with less cost, less recoil, and more performance than most people even understand.

Where I hunt, Hill Country deer are not big, and most shots are easily inside of 200 yards. The first year I hunted with a 223ai, my uncle and cousins about threw a fit with the idea that 223 isn't enough gun as compared to their 270's, 7 mags, and 30-06's. Never mind that that they're shooting a factory rifle with a sloppy chambering, a tasco scope, and remington core-lokt. Never mind that actual data matters. Some people simply don't know what they don't know, but I have the luxury of not guessing.

Otherwise, the 65 gameking wrecks shop, as does a 62 tsx...or a swift...or a nosler partiiton....but none shoot as sweet, in my experience, as the 75 eld-m.

I keep seeing this, and my 223 really likes them.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by JPipes

I keep seeing this, and my 223 really likes them.

My 12tw barrel shoots them ok - just inside an inch , only one example but the 65gr.Gameking flew right through an 75-80lb. pig broadside at about 120 yards . Knocked a 1 1/2'' hole that drained pretty good for the several feet she ran . Great little bullet .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunter A can see and shoot deer 500 yards away where he hunts. He can also watch deer run 500 yards and fall over if need be.

Hunter B can't see farther than 40 yards where he hunts. Anything that runs at all vanishes and needs to be tracked.

Hunter A and Hunter B need to be careful giving each other advice, arguing or telling the other he's wrong.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/gmx#!/

a couple guys I know rather well use AR15 rifles, here in florida
with 4 round magazines with the bullet linked above
the preferred load has been 26 grains of h414
they are perfectly happy and I load for them, ranges seldom exceed 100 yards
and deer rarely exceed 130 lbs
personally I tend to prefer my marlin 44 mag, a 310 grain cast bullet over 21 grains of h110

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Cinch

I have an aversion to that too...that said in the .223 there are lots of proper hunting bullets now, lighter weight, better velocities than the 75 and long time proven killers....

JMHO

52-55 grain soft points work great. Deer aren't nilgai.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Hint..................

Maybe if your night hunting.........but for daylight hunting in the thorn trees I like more gun.

are ya saying Stumpy is spotlighting?

how could that be? its illegal and we all know how law abiding etc Stumpy is and all....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
ok, dumb question time.

for the 75 eld-m, what twist do you need to stabilize it?
I have a rem 788 I was thinking about using.

In an AR, can you load them to mag length or are they single feed only?

I'd be interested if the ogive didn't start before the case mouth when loaded to AR mag length.

Last edited by blammer; 05/19/19.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blammer
ok, dumb question time.

for the 75 eld-m, what twist do you need to stabilize it?
I have a rem 788 I was thinking about using.

In an AR, can you load them to mag length or are they single feed only?

I'd be interested if the ogive didn't start before the case mouth when loaded to AR mag length.

1 in 8 or faster. Ogive is below the case mouth at ar mag lengths.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.