Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by battue
They have the Open there again this year....I'm signed up....Let me know if you can make it....If you can, I will see if Lois can make some squad adjustments....

Yes, he is shooting the LW Parcours, and doing well with it. The "boy" is in the Veteran class these days. My how time goes on by.

I have to check the dates but I am pretty sure Ill be in Slovakia then.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
May I will still be gone. Who are you squared with?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
May I will still be gone. Who are you squared with?

Don’t know any of them. Just signed up when I saw the Fitasc was almost filled. There will be more than a few people there that I know and can hang with.

Then again, maybe I do. I haven’t looked at the actual squad. Last time down there I shot behind Cherry. Which was a definite positive. Really nice guy, but intense when he is shooting.

Last edited by battue; 02/26/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dan going?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would be surprised if he didn't go, but haven't talked with him in a bit. He has been shooting really well and recently won the American Fitasc Championship. Wouldn't surprise me if he made the top 10-15 at the Open.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
He is a hell of a shooter and funny guy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Used to race the high speed bikes were they are running around on their knees at crazy speeds. He got pretty tore up doing so.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Used to race the high speed bikes were they are running around on their knees at crazy speeds. He got pretty tore up doing so.

Yeah I remember him telling me about that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
For turkeys, avoid inertia guns unless you want to pay extra to upgrade parts for reliability. Search "Benelli click" for an explanation. The Beretta A300 leads the pack for affordable gas guns, but the extra barrel ain't real cheap. You can get a Mossberg pump for what a Beretta barrel costs.

I suggest the A300 for wingshooting and a Mossberg 505AF 20ga for turkeys. Mount your sight on the barrel. There are various options. Aimtech Rib Rider is one. Load Federal TSS and a SumToy choke on the 20 for gobblers. The light 20 will be much more enjoyable in the turkey woods.

Has to be the funniest thing I have read all day. How many Benelli's have you shot over 100K rounds through? M1 on top has well over 100K bottom has well over 30K

[Linked Image]

You failed to comprehend the part about "For turkeys". There's a point here about which you're ignorant. No, I'm not going to tell you.

Just remember there has rarely a thing been made that wasn’t made to sell. All those fishing lures, all variations on a theme mostly were meant to catch fishermen. Not to say this or that gizmo won’t work as advertised (though many don’t) occasionally.

Most turkeys’ heads are pretty immobile until that momentary gobble when they reach up and stretch it out. Otherwise, it floats fairly stable up over the back while strutting. I’ve taken many at that moment with from 12’s to 20’s, with from XF chokes and red dotes to IM 20 ga barrels with a just bead. 2 3/4” to 3” shells but shun the “Lil Gretal” 3 1/2 ers.

No tactical turkey guns, no gun tape, earth tone clothes for myself, a cap; hands and face covered.

Just remember, it’s an industry — you don’t have to have all that stuff.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not 3.5", but this may be your huckleberry.

If I didn't have a stable of fine operating benellis at my disposal already, I'd be all over this.

https://www.shopdunns.com/products/9071/benelli_montefeltro_hunter_s_package/

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just saw this. Great pic....

Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Don't ignore the Beretta 300 Outlander. They can be had used for reasonable prices. They handle and shoot well and are reliable.

Also take a peek at the Franchi Affinity.

My wife bought me an A300 Outlander a year ago for Christmas as a duck gun to keep my 391 from laying in the mud. I have had no issues with it. They can be had in Synthetic for $600, I've seen them for around $500 on big sales with some mail in rebates thrown in. Wood is slightly higher.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. She gave that to me Christmas Day. Then we drove 10 hours to her grandparents in Texas. After a few hours sleep I threw some decoys out behind her grandpas shop, and ended with a limit of teal. First shots fired from the gun. I won’t admit to how many of the buzzbombs I shot at to get that limit though...

Just saw this. Great pic....

Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Don't ignore the Beretta 300 Outlander. They can be had used for reasonable prices. They handle and shoot well and are reliable.

Also take a peek at the Franchi Affinity.

My wife bought me an A300 Outlander a year ago for Christmas as a duck gun to keep my 391 from laying in the mud. I have had no issues with it. They can be had in Synthetic for $600, I've seen them for around $500 on big sales with some mail in rebates thrown in. Wood is slightly higher.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
IMHO after shooting many models.... A5, Remington on Browning pat. (Old timers know) Model 12 Winchester, 870 Remington, mod1100 (one of the best) Beretta 400, Benelli SBE, Benelli SBEII. The best all around shotgun is the Benelli SBEII. It’s light , rugged, simple, fast, swings and points great,
Easy to clean. Save your money, find one on line and buy it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Beretta is like a sore pecker.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Can't beat it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have no experience with high-volume competitive shooting, so I can't really say what make or model works best over time, but I can say what works best for me.

I started out with a Rem 1100 12ga. It swung like a 50-lb bag of potatoes for me - I couldn't keep up with any clay target unless it was nearly straight outgoing or straight incoming.

I lucked into a 20ga Miroku O/U and started hitting targets for the first time in my life, assisted by a couple of lessons from a good coach. I could keep up with even the fastest crossers with that gun, and as fate would have it, when I shouldered it properly I had the rib directly lined up with my eye.

For a short time, I tried a Beretta 390 12ga. It was a very good shotgun with recommendations from a lot of competitive shooters, but it wasn't as lively as the O/U and never seemed to shoot as soft as I would like.

Then I traded into a 12ga Benelli M2. SOFT shooting, regardless of what people say about inertia guns - comparable to the 20ga O/U in my hands, and fits very well because of the provided shims that allow you to tweak it to where it hits where you're looking. If I need a 12, this is the one that goes with me. If a fast-moving 20 is needed, the Miroku just shines.

With my limited experience, I'd say don't buy any shotgun unless it has shims. There is simply no substitute for fit, and the shims make it easy and inexpensive to tailor a shotgun to shoot where you look.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Oh, and one tip when you're looking at shotguns, especially if you're new to the game - take along a plastic straw and a couple of pieces of blue plumber's tape.

After telling the owner what you're planning to do and getting his OK, put the straw on the top of the receiver and out onto the top of the rib, then tape it down. (This is why you use blue plumber's tape - it won't leave a sticky mess on the metal of a beautiful shotgun!) Make sure the straw is straight and directly on top of the rib.

Get in a proper stance and quickly bring the shotgun to your shoulder - if you are looking directly through the straw to the front sight, you have a gun that fits. If you have to push your cheek down on the comb, raise it up at all or crank your head to one side or the other, it is going to take work to make it fit, and if it doesn't have shims, that work can be expensive.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by czech1022
I have no experience with high-volume competitive shooting, so I can't really say what make or model works best over time, but I can say what works best for me.

I started out with a Rem 1100 12ga. It swung like a 50-lb bag of potatoes for me - I couldn't keep up with any clay target unless it was nearly straight outgoing or straight incoming.

I lucked into a 20ga Miroku O/U and started hitting targets for the first time in my life, assisted by a couple of lessons from a good coach. I could keep up with even the fastest crossers with that gun, and as fate would have it, when I shouldered it properly I had the rib directly lined up with my eye.

For a short time, I tried a Beretta 390 12ga. It was a very good shotgun with recommendations from a lot of competitive shooters, but it wasn't as lively as the O/U and never seemed to shoot as soft as I would like.

Then I traded into a 12ga Benelli M2. SOFT shooting, regardless of what people say about inertia guns - comparable to the 20ga O/U in my hands, and fits very well because of the provided shims that allow you to tweak it to where it hits where you're looking. If I need a 12, this is the one that goes with me. If a fast-moving 20 is needed, the Miroku just shines.

With my limited experience, I'd say don't buy any shotgun unless it has shims. There is simply no substitute for fit, and the shims make it easy and inexpensive to tailor a shotgun to shoot where you look.

Spot on on your "Shims: recommendation. Beretta was the first manufacturer to my knowledge to offer shims.....the other manufacturers were so slow to follow....especially Remington.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.