Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
All: Two weeks ago I stumbled into a great deal from a friend of mine who sadly is rather ill (liver cancer) and is thinning out his large accumulation of firearms.
I was with him last fall when he bought this stainless Ruger American Rimfire in 22 L.R. added a scope made by Nikon and then he set about to test ammo. Its been to the range just twice with him but not afield, and now sadly my friend needed to sell it.
This Ruger American has the stainless action and stainless semi-heavy barrel 18" barrel.
No sights and it has the Ruger style "Accu-Trigger" (which is very pleasing by the way!)
The 4x12 scope has additional stradia wires and dots that I will familiarize myself with soon.
My friend later bought several boxes of the new Winchester 40 grain "Hyper Velocity Hollow Point Copper Plated Varmint & Small Game" 22 L.R. bullets and he sold them all to me with the Rifle.
I had never shot these bullets and I am pretty sure they are a somewhat new offering.
I have not chronographed them yet but the advertised speed of 1,435 F.P.S of the 40 grain bullets sure got my attention!
I believe the item number on the box for these bullets is "XHV22LR"?
It is not clearly marked.
Been real busy and have only been to the range once with this rig and the intended ammunition. Got it sighted in quickly and easily and was very impressed with the two 5 shot groups I made with the set-up there at 50 yards.
When I get more time and a "calm enough" day I will shoot this combo at 100 yards.
Time finally came yesterday for the new rig and new ammo to draw "first blood"!
I am hosting some Hunters from Florida, Louisiana, Illinois and New Hampshire this week and the snow quit yesterday so off we go!
To say I was impressed with the performance/lethality of the new Winchester 22 H/P ammo would be a gross understatement!
This ammo is the best 22 L.R. I have ever used on Ground Squirrels and I am stating that after only shooting 300 rounds of it at Varmints yesterday!
With the 12 power scope (no adjustable objective sadly!) I was bonking Gophers (straight downwind!) at 125 - 140 yards rather regularly!
And the terminal effects of this 1,435 F.P.S. H/P ammo was noticeably better than any 22 L.R. I have used before! And I am pretty sure I have used all the American made offerings in 22 L.R. H/P ammo.
Over this past winter my friend ordered and installed a Boyd's high comb type laminated Varmint stock for this Rifle and it sure fits me to a "T"!
And it is way better looking than the factory plastic offering that came with the Rifle originally.
So a big thumbs up on the Ruger American Rimfire with its very pleasing accuracy, great trigger and the unbeatable Ruger Rotary Magazine!
I am guessing I kill't about 220 Ground Squirrels yesterday on this Rifles first outing, out of the exactly 300 rounds I fired.
For those not familiar with early season Ground Squirrels the males are constantly chasing and fighting each other this time of year and seldom hold still for even 6 seconds! I touched off at least 15 shots at Gophers who were no longer "there"!
The bottom line on this new Winchester ammo is "amazing"!
I was very impressed with it.
So far I have only seen this ammo for sale at "Cabela's" type stores!
In my opinion it would be well worth the while of any small game and Varmint Hunters to seek out and try this new Winchester offering.
I have a spare Leupold 4.5x14 variable scope with adjustable objective and fine Du-Plex crosshairs that I may use to replace the non-A/O scope on this Rifle, as soon as I get time to do so.
I nearly forgot to mention how "handy" this stiff and short barreled Rifle was yesterday - I shot it from the cab of the VarmintMobile about 90% (off of "window bags") of the time yesterday as the outside temperature barely got to 40 degrees!
Anyway it was sure easy to handle there with the 18" barrel.
Out of 300 rounds fired I never had even a single failure to extract, failure to feed or failure to eject!
I did have one failure to fire but ejected the case onto the ground and forgot to retrieve and inspect it (for depth of firing pin strike).
Two big thumbs up for both items tested.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

R
RCL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I purchased the same type rifle a few months ago and have been really impressed.
The stock is somewhat ugly, but adequate.
The short stiff barrel is very handy.
A little trigger adjustment and mounted a scope and it is my favorite knock around rimfire.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sorry to hear the bad news about your friends there V.G.

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse up in Roseburg the other day when heading up to Pottandia....

it was one of these Tactical Set ups, looking like their Long Range Percision Rifle set up...

was on sale for $399.... chambers available in 22 LR, 17 HMR and 22 Win Mag....

I'm sure it will motivate the kids, and grandkids... allowing them to be Rimfire Rambos....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are causing me to want to buy more 22 ammo. I need to try that hyper velocity HP for accuracy in my Tikka. Oddly enough, my wife is grumping about all the 22 ammo I have, so I’ll need to be a bit sneaky.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
RCL: Can you adjust that "Accu-Trigger" type trigger?
If so I did not know that.
I do have both factory boxes (from the Ruger Rifle and from the scope) but I have just not had time to
read" the manuals!
Thanks for the heads up on that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: By coincidence my good friend here named Darrell bought one of these tactical (tacticool?) Ruger American Rifles in 17 HMR and added an "$850.00" scope to the much cheaper Rifle just a month ago.
He was in town Saturday buying an "adapter" for the rail on the bottom of the Ruger for a Harris swiveling bi-pod.
Anyway he (former 1,000 yard bench rest record holder!) said this Rifle (Ruger American Rimfire Tactical) is THE most accurate rimfire Rifle he's ever owned!
Anyway I give great credence to his assessment!
Yes it will definitely appeal to "some" in the gun world - frankly I was surprised when my friend bought one of these Ruger Tactical's as he is very "traditional" kind of shooter.
My laminated stock Ruger American Varmint in 17 HMR is also VERY accurate (with Weaver 4 to 16 variable and Hornady 17 HMR ammunition).
Good for Ruger I say with all their offerings and taking a "chance" here and there.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
603Country: I am sure that you will like the terminal performance of the Winchester Hyper-Velocity" hollow-points and I can only hope they will be as accurate for you as they are for me.
These bullets would be worth sneaking around a bit.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love that ammo and the Browning version. A couple of magazines I've read shot those Winchester hyper velocity in the rifles being tested and the ammo grouped really well. I've used the Browning version quite a bit on jackrabbits and there is a definite increase in "stopping power". I my little Bersa 3.5 inch barrel 22 pistol, those rounds seem to expand better and is more cost effective than the Velocitors. I am looking forward to trying the Aguila Interceptor hollow point rounds when they're available. Here is one of the links.
https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/review-tikka-tix-mtr-22-lr/357086

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
HARDBALLER: Come to think of it last fall I bought a couple boxes of the Browning uppity velocity ammo - intending to give it a try.
I have not tried it as yet!
Its been a busy winter here in SW Montana.
Are you saying (and if so I'm sure you are correct!) that Winchester makes the Browning uppity velocity ammo for them?
Thanks for the link.
I like the Tikka "plastic" stock much more than the Ruger offering - even though the Tikka stock is not very impressive either.
Oh well - there is something to say about utility (cheapness).
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you tried CCI's 32 grain segmented 22LR?
Velocity is the same as Stingers at just over 1600.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
700LH: No I have not tried them. In your experience are they plenty lethal on small game and Varmints?
Thanks for the tip.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
HARDBALLER: Come to think of it last fall I bought a couple boxes of the Browning uppity velocity ammo - intending to give it a try.
Are you saying (and if so I'm sure you are correct!) that Winchester makes the Browning uppity velocity ammo for them?
Thanks for the link.
I like the Tikka "plastic" stock much more than the Ruger offering - even though the Tikka stock is not very impressive either.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Correct, Winchester makes Browning labeled ammo of recent manufacture.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought some of it for testing in my 77/22 RSI. I had a couple of FTFs in that, and also in a CZ 455. Accuracy wasn't exceptional in either, or awful. Not long ago, I almost picked up a couple of bricks of the Browning stuff on sale, but the reviews mentioned the same problem with that. So, it appears that maybe there are at least occasional issues with QC. Too bad, as I also read sterling range reports on the stuff, but as I almost always buy by the brick or more, the risk is too much for me, and I'll stick with dependable Velociters, which offer similar performance and always go bang. Those who have good lots, congrats on your good fortune. Enjoy.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
700LH: No I have not tried them. In your experience are they plenty lethal on small game and Varmints?
Thanks for the tip.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Just recently found out they were available.
They are hard to find except on the net and I have not found the 40-grain ones for sale local yet.
Hoping to try the 1600's tomorrow. have read they are "devastating" on small critters.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
700LH: I spent a few of hours with friends Hunting Ground Squirrels in the "nice" weather again today.
Less wind and the Winchester 40 grainers at 1,435 F.P.S. really made an audible and impressive "plop" sound upon "contact"!
I shot 200 rounds today and NO missfires, missfeeds or failures to extract or eject.
I am getting low on this ammo and need to replenish.
I may have to change my policy and search the net for availability of these.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Really getting to like this new Ruger American!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
700LH: Thank you for that link - I tried it and came up with several "leads".
I had the aforementioned ammunition out again today "Varminting", and touched off 200 more rounds of it.
I, again, am so impressed with the lethality and reliability of this ammo!
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sounds like Winchester's version of CCI Velocitors.
Same weight bullet, same velocity.
Been using Velocitors on woodchucks for a year now and I'm impressed.
Woodchucks can be hard to anchor with a .22. These do the job nicely.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Fugawe: Interesting info on the Velocitors because the nearest place to me that sells the 1,435 F.P.S. Winchesters is 105 (one hundred and five) miles away (each way!).
I'll see if any of the closer stores have any Velocitors.
Indeed Rock Chucks can pack away with a lot of 22 L.R. lead!
Thanks again for that info.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HARDBALLER
Thanks for the link.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have fired some of the Browning badged stuff that VG is shooting out of a 22 handgun. It is noticeably louder with more muzzle flash.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I see SGammo has the Winchester hyper velocity stuuf for $7.95 per hundred in you buy in 2000 rounds bundle, FYI.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Hardballer: Thank you very much for that link - I have to get some money on the way to these folks as they only have eight "cases" of two thousand left!
After the $14.00 shipping charge it comes to $8.65 per 100 round box of this wonderful ammo (if you buy it in the 2,000 round offering!).
THAT... is a great deal!
Thanks again for the heads up.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Does this thing shoot at all?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Alwaysoutdoors: You don't make sense.
Try again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
It wont shoot any better than that?i really wanna like these rifles.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when 22 fodder was still hard to find, my LGS got some hundred packs of WW 37gr Super Speed HPs in, at a good price. Picked up a couple boxes to try. No joy in my RA rifle. Some of the largest groups I've ever gotten from it, with that stuff. Velocity is 1330.

Hafta try some of the 40gr ammo mentioned here, Haven't seen any yet, but wasn't looking. Bought my Ruger American the year they came out and am very happy with it. Shoots CCI SV very well, same for Mini Mag HPs.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought some of the Winchester hyper velocity ammo (1435 FPS) and tried it in the Tikka. Set up a target at 25 yards and 75 yards and shot off front and rear bags. Accuracy was not good. At 75 yards I’d get 3 rounds real tight and two real bad flyers. It was worse than Thunderbolts, which shot 1.5” groups at 75 yards. Scope was set on 14 power. This won’t be my go-to ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad it's not just me.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
My 455 Scout actually shoots the same Browning BPR load pretty well, under 3/4" at 50 yards. At least, the one box does.......... I've still got about half of it (50 rounds or so).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barrel cleaning between brands being tested? That was usually recommended long ago. Still necessary?

Bruce

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
My 455 Scout actually shoots the same Browning BPR load pretty well, under 3/4" at 50 yards. At least, the one box does.......... I've still got about half of it (50 rounds or so).

The browning ammo is the same as Winchester ammo. Produced by the same folks at the same plant

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Lennie
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

The browning ammo is the same as Winchester ammo. Produced by the same folks at the same plant

That's why I used the word "same", I know they're made on the same line.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by HARDBALLER
Thanks for the link.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yes. And HP high velocity is some of the best gopher ammo a guy can buy.

If you find it get a case or two.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bcp
Barrel cleaning between brands being tested? That was usually recommended long ago. Still necessary?

Bruce

Fugk.

That.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

Usually with rimfires shooting a half-dozen rounds of the brand you're testing will settle it down before you shoot to test.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Deflave: The Gophers and their "pups" are out in force.
Wish you were back here in Big Sky Country.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

606 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,307
Posts18,449,115
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.