Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Not for me, it isn't.

If I want to load up some WFN's, WLN's, LFN's or Keiths that make the biggest holes in critters in a decently packable run of the mill gun, they're all in 45 caliber moulds, not in 44, of which I have a few of those too.....

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We didn't have church last night and I have just got my new shop nearly ready so in light of this conversation, I spent the afternoon experimenting. All the Beartooth bullets I've been using have dual crimp grooves but the published Hodgdon data uses the top groove and is standard pressure. Loading the 330gr LFN, 355gr WLN and 405gr WLN over H110 at 100% load density I had the following results. I also chronographed the 340gr .44 and 360gr .454 Buffalo Bore loads. Both of which were VERY close to the Pearce 50,000psi .44/.45 data. Loads were fired from 7½" Super Redhawks.

330gr at 1442fps
340gr at 1401fps (Pearce 1405fps)
355gr at 1346fps
405gr at 1160fps

Compare these to the numbers from Pearce's "Redhawk only" .45Colt data:

335gr at 1511fps
360gr at 1433fps (Pearce 1450fps)
400gr at 1314fps

Which pretty much confirms what I said earlier. That only when you reach the absolute potential of both cartridges and load the .45Colt beyond "Ruger only" levels, does the .45 pull ahead.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by CraigC
Since Ross Seyfried keeps getting mentioned and Dick referenced Handloader #205 in our recent PM exchange as if I had never read it, I retrieved my copy and read it again. The comical part of this is that he begins by describing his pre-conceived notions about the .45Colt and how Linebaugh was contradicting what he "knew" about it from 20yrs prior. Things he learned from reading Elmer Keith, particularly regarding the weak case myth. That Linebaugh effectively challenged his existing beliefs and changed his mind. With data. That sounds vaguely familiar. Except I didn't have to develop this .44 data, Hodgdon did that. All I did was follow directions and write about the results. whistle

Nowhere does it list specific .44 bullets or loads. It's mostly about the .45Colt and he references Hodgdon data extensively. Mind you, this is Hodgdon #26 that was printed in 1992. So for those of you who have your mind made up about this because of something Seyfried wrote, your belief is based on information that was published the year I graduated high school, 27yrs ago. He references 300gr at 1300fps loads in both chamberings and then points out the pressure difference. I don't have Hodgdon #26 but just ordered it from Ebay. I'm fairly certain that the 300gr load he references is either jacketed or an outdated cast bullet. Long before they developed the current heavy bullet data. From there he goes on to a 325gr LFN at 1275fps in a 7½" .45. My testing confirms this with 1240fps out of my 4 5/8" Ruger. The .44Mag did 1280fps with a 320gr. In his table, Seyfried references a 350gr at 1050fps out of the .45Colt. Using the Hodgdon data, I tested the 360gr at 1060fps. In the same Hodgdon data, the .44Mag managed a 355gr WLN at 1130fps. Apparently using better bullets out of the .44 makes quite the difference.

Even when we move up to 50,000psi loads, things are interesting. Seyfried's table shows a 360gr over 1400fps. We know that both Pearce's data and the Buffalo Bore 340gr +P+ are well over 1400fps. Ironically enough this is the same velocity rating as their 360gr .454 load. Pearce shows a 360gr .45 at 1450fps and a 340gr .44 at 1405fps. I'm about to start testing the 355gr WLN loaded long and heavy in a long cylinder Ruger .44Mag and expect to see similar results.

Does anyone have any actual data to contradict this?

Here's a simplified overview of the current Hodgdon data.

[Linked Image]

Buffalo bore loads those 454’s to lower pressures. Running full bore i can run 340’s to 1750 fps. That said, at the same pressure and bullet weight the 45 will always be faster at all pressure levels. How much it matters is a debate we can have, but to imply the 45 isnt faster as stated above is just false. To say the 44 shoots faster requires a higher pressure. So be it. The buffalo bore 340 load is at over 50k psi. At 50k psi the 454 and 45 colt will both be faster because they are larger cases. Its physics and nothing changes this. EVER. The 44 has its advantages. Faster at the same pressure isnt one if them.

Actually doing something usually changes a persons previously worthless opinion
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
We chronyd a 36kpsi specially tested at loaded 45 colt 335gr load and it was mid 1400’s out of a srh and over 1515fps out of a fa83. Didnt require a special bullet that has a long nose to not take up case capacity like the buffalo bore srh only load.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You're arguing against points I never made. It should be painfully obvious that if bullet weight and pressure are the same, the cartridge with the greater case capacity wins. I said that and yesterday's testing proved it. However, that difference in pressure is not meaningless. As I also said, what the .44 does with a little more pressure, the .45 does with a little more powder. Also physics. The net result is same/same.

I know the Buffalo Bore .454 is loaded to lower pressure, it's also in the 50,000psi range. It's identical to Pearce's 50,000psi .45Colt data. That's the only reason I even bring up the .454, because the Buffalo Bore 360gr load is the same pressure as their .44 load and "Redhawk only" .45Colt loads. That was the point.

The unavoidable point that some seem to be trying to circumvent, is that the two cartridges can only be run at the same pressure in certain guns. The whole premise behind this is Linebaugh's testing which proved the large frame single action .45's were 80% as strong as the .44's. Which is why they are run at 80% the pressure. So that both cartridges operate at a 100% safety margin. You can't overload the .45 and compare it to standard pressure .44Mag and declare it the winner, any more than you can compare standard pressure .44Mag to standard pressure .45Colt and declare it the winner. There is no 36,000psi data anyway, so that example is purely academic with no practical application. In guns where the pressures can be the same, such as the FA 83, BFR or Redhawk/Super Redhawk, the .45 takes the lead. As I have also been saying for years. Yesterday's testing is further proof. Bullets in the 400gr range it becomes more obvious that the .45's case capacity is giving it a considerable edge. The .45 takes 4.0gr more powder than the .44.

According to Pearce's data, a 335gr over 26.0gr H110 for 1500fps is 50,000psi, not 36,000. Which coincides with Lee Martn's five-shot data, only half a grain higher at 26.5. How do you know that load was 36,000psi? What was the powder charge?

http://singleactions.com/FiveShot45Colts4.html

The Hodgdon .454 data shows the same 26.0gr charge with a greater OAL at 42,000CUP.

Last edited by CraigC; 05/06/19.
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It was tested and loaded by an ammo manufacturer. Specifically for this purpose. Secondly, a little side note is ive used those 360 gr buffalo bore loads and 1) they chronograph significantly higher and almost always break 1500 fps, handily and 2) i am way more interested in what and who i trust as to pressure levels and sometimes i dont necessarily trust pressure from authors unless i know how they got their data. The blackhawk will run 36k psi all day long. Not a problem. Never has been and never will be. Just not sure where the 44 mag is equal or getting an advantage. If you said according to otc loads or a specific load data then that would be accurate but what max is saying is accurate.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bah, .280 beats .270, 6mm beats .243.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Like I said, I chronographed the Buffalo Bore .454 load at 1433fps out of a 7.5" Ruger. I can do the same out of a 7.5" FA if you like. I can also verify with another chronograph if necessary.

Everything I have points to a 335gr WLN at 1500fps being charged at 26.0-26.5gr H110 and a 50,000psi load. Even Hodgdon's data shows 26.0gr in .454 cases at 42,000CUP. There's no way in hell you're gaining 300fps with only 6000psi.

I never said the .45 Blackhawk wouldn't run at 36,000psi. However, THERE IS NO DATA and it's not an apples to apples comparison to eat into the .45's safety margin but not the .44's. You've eaten your 100% safety margin down to 60%. That's only a fair comparison if you HAVE to believe the .45 is so much better. It's only a fair to compare them in guns t hat can be run at the same pressure with the same margin of safety and in those guns, I have always conceded that the .45 gains the edge.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Buffalo Bore 360gr load averaged 1495fps out of my 7.5" FA. Not sure how relevant this is because I always try to minimize variables. Hence comparing loads in stock Rugers. In this case, a pair of 7.5" Super Redhawks. FA's are always going to clock higher velocities and the results are less directly comparable.

I'm not sure what you mean about not referencing specific loads. I have been VERY specific in my posts. Down to the load. I'm just not going to post my powder charges for the overloaded .44's.

As I've said many times, the reference to 36,000psi .45 loads is irrelevant. The loads are not comparable and there is no available data anywhere. It's cheating to get the results you want. Further, the idea that one can achieve 1500fps with a 335gr at 36,000psi is HIGHLY suspect. I see nothing to support it and everything points to that load being 50,000psi. Linebaugh and Seyfried point to a bullet that weight at that velocity being a five-shot load in the +50,000psi range.

I can test the Pearce data in the SRH so we have data off the same chronograph. I have the 335's and Oregon Trail 360's he used. He got his best results with the 360gr and Enforcer. I was going to pick up a can this afternoon but my truck wasn't ready. 300MP was second fastest and H110 third. I can try all three.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
And the .460 does 2250fps with Hornadys 200. Shoots .45s&.454s too. I dont think we can have too many choices in sixguns though.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
They will all work if shots are placed perfectly. To the OP, i would get a max 280 aframe load and use it and not honestly worry about ross’ initial 44 mag loads. He wrote a very interesting article on aframes.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I thank you for your concern. But my question was: "Does any know what Ross's favorite load is/was for the 44 MAGNUM?" I knew it was the 250 "Keith" (if there is a Keith nowadays) and H110 with the CCI350 mag primer but forgot whether it was 23.0 grains or 23.5 grains. Don't really care about the Swift bullets at this time. Don't really care about the 45 Colt and its potential or its nonpotential at this time.
Not asking whether he moved on to bigger things as I am well familiar with Mr Seyfried and his writings over the years.
I asked the question I asked because I asked it because of the above reason.
Again Thank You one and all for the journey on ballistics, bullets etc..

Originally Posted by Tradmark
They will all work if shots are placed perfectly. To the OP, i would get a max 280 aframe load and use it and not honestly worry about ross’ initial 44 mag loads. He wrote a very interesting article on aframes.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
I thank you for your concern. But my question was: "Does any know what Ross's favorite load is/was for the 44 MAGNUM?" I knew it was the 250 "Keith" (if there is a Keith nowadays) and H110 with the CCI350 mag primer but forgot whether it was 23.0 grains or 23.5 grains. Don't really care about the Swift bullets at this time. Don't really care about the 45 Colt and its potential or its nonpotential at this time.
Not asking whether he moved on to bigger things as I am well familiar with Mr Seyfried and his writings over the years.

My bad, i think it was 8 grs of h110 over a 180gr lfn with a small meplat.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
You are right.

My bad, i think it was 8 grs of h110 over a 180gr lfn with a small meplat.

HE MENTORS ME.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'd love to know the powder charge for this magical 36,000psi, 335gr at 1500fps load and who tested it. It seems to be the basis of many of our arguments and it smells fishy to me.

Originally Posted by JOG
There is a lot of myth mixed in whenever the .45 Colt is cited as operating at a lower pressure or somehow getting more for less (in defiance of Newton's 3rd law) compared to a .44 Mag. The PSI is only one factor in the equation, the area of the cartridge case is another. Simply put the .45 Colt has a larger case, more square inches, so at the same PSI as a .44 Mag the total pressure exerted on the cylinder and frame will be higher.

Two of the common aspects are bolt thrust, which is the rearward force, and hoop stress, which is the radial force exerted on the cylinder or barrel. At 36,000 PSI the bolt thrust of a .44 Mag is 5,204 lbs, a .45 Colt is 5,751 lbs. Hoop stress is affected the same way - more area means more pressure.

I simplified the bolt thrust calculation by using the bullet diameter and not the internal bearing area of the case.

Exactly! From Linebaugh:

"I won't go into great detail but a 45 Colt at 32,000 CUP chamber pressure exerts just under 3 tons of pressure on the back of the frame. A .44 magnum at 40,000 CUP chamber pressure exerts just over 3 tons of pressure on the back of the frame. Basically the same."

Which is why it's important, if you're comparing the two in six shot Ruger single actions, that you compare "Ruger only" loads to standard pressure .44Mag. If you throw that out the window and compare t hem at the same pressure, just so the .45 wins, what have you accomplished? Nothing. It's a straw man argument. You're claiming that with non-existent data that is 30% beyond accepted maximums, the .45 has an advantage. That's like saying my Charger is faster than a Corvette and completely ignoring the fact that it takes a shot of nitrous to do it.

Don't really care about the 45 Colt and its potential or its nonpotential at this time.

You did ask.
The 45 Colt wasn't mentioned in the original post but will the 44 Mag beat a 45 Colt in a full sized 5 shot cylinder? Lets say with a 340 grain bullet? What load would you use in a 44 mag with a six chamber cylinder that would beat the 45 Colt by 50 to 100 FPS?

Please show me some examples of this. In all seriousness I would like to know of this.

Last edited by CraigC; 05/08/19.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
that was NOT my first post. It was turned into a 44 Mag verses a 45 Colt ordeal. Then I asked the question. Still my original question hand NOTHING to do with a 45 Colt in any form. Only after the 45 Colt debacle came up
If most including me would stay on the topic of most post sthings would be better..

HE MENTORS ME.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nobody cares. Discussions go where they go. Especially here, where there are basically no rules. You should know, any other forum would've banned you and half the rest long ago.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
That is true. But still my original question had nothing to do with a 45 Colt. It was about the Ross Seyfried 44 Magnum load. How simple it would have been for that question to have been answered without all the 45 colt drivel.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
HawkI has a point about SD.

SD is a bs number.

If you can shoot a heavy enough bullet out of the 45 to get consistent exits, the larger diameter 45 bullet will create a larger wound channel and has the speed advantage Max cited which further puts the favor towards the 45.

The 44 is a good round, the 45 is simply better. Same as the 475 trumps the 45, and the 50/500 is the king. If you can handle the recoil, the bigger guns are decisively better tools for the biggest toughest game.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
HawkI has a point about SD.

SD is a bs number.

If you can shoot a heavy enough bullet out of the 45 to get consistent exits, the larger diameter 45 bullet will create a larger wound channel and has the speed advantage Max cited which further puts the favor towards the 45.

The 44 is a good round, the 45 is simply better. Same as the 475 trumps the 45, and the 50/500 is the king. If you can handle the recoil, the bigger guns are decisively better tools for the biggest toughest game.

Exactly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,035
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.