Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Ok... but what facets of a bullet are important —- Seems like some guys get it that bullets are important (at least if your shooting at a distance).

I actually agree with this that having good bullets does have a greater impact to your ability to connect with your target...
BUT - I also know that chambering & Cartridge choice also come into play with the person driving (meaning depending on the guy / gal running the rig) can make those important as well.
Simply put bullet quality is consistence to everyone... Rifle accuracy capabilty is consistent to the rifle - and shooting skills link to the shooter.
Not everyone knows your rifle is going to shoot .1-2 Mils higher then it did in the morning because it’s not 60 degrees like it was in the morning - that’s something you have to experience.

BACK to the Main subject—- Bullets what should one be looking for?

Before you ask - I like Vaportrail Bullets, Clay Spencer’s gear for bullet making was bought by them - There are multiple precision bullet makers out there... but few people seem to know
The voodo (it’s unknown) why those bullets perform better.

- Yep - I used Stick’s line on purpose.. smile

So - What’s the lift of factors big to small - If you say “bullet maker” - go sit in the penalty box (we’re talking attributes of the bullet).

—.

First - it might be smart to split this into 3 Major categories ...
** Keep in mind there are cartridge (what drives the bullet) variables per category like velocity, neck characteristics, ..
A good account would also mention these linkages. ... but that ain’t the bullet.

1). Bullet characteristics / consistency that effect Accuracy / Precision

2). Bullet characteristics / consistency that effect bullet flight (drop & resistance to wind)

3). Bullet characteristics / consistency that effect terminal performance

Extra points - Indicate which variables have the most impact (remember we said ... matters more).

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Calibration and correct metering of your powder charge and a clean barrel are factors I put above and beyond the little pill coming out of the pipe

For all you cited, why not just go with the prettiest packaging or whoever sends a cool hat?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Are you talking about shooting at paper from a benchrest, or trying to connect with a big game animal?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only 3 things,
1. consistency within the batch of bullets,
2. is the bullet appropriate for intended use?
3. Does the bullet shoot well out of your particular rifle?
The rest has to do with whomever is behind the trigger.
Other than that, the OP's question is somewhat puzzling.

Last edited by fishdog52; 05/02/19.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
On my best days, I'm consistently a 1/2MOA shooter. It doesn't really matter how "good" the equipment is, I'm not consistent enough myself to be better. I zero pretty much everything I hunt with @ 200yds. 1-1.5" groups @ 200yds that put the center of that group as dead on, that's going to work for me. Everything I hunt with I practice out to 600 from field positions on steel at a minimum.

I live/hunt in open country. Mostly spot/stalk. Despite my best efforts, sometimes it turns into busted-stalk, shoot the summbitch on the run, sometimes @ very poor angles. My choice goes to #3 as top priority. Consistent terminal performance from a bullet that will "get there" is my top priority. I'll do the work I need to do on my end to ensure I've managed an accurate load, precise zero, and what needs to happen regarding POA/POI at a distance I'm comfortable with given the geography and atmospherics at the time. Sometimes that means I'm happy to shoot out to 600 or 700yds, sometimes that means no more than 250yds.

Last edited by horse1; 05/02/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I sight my rifles in 1 1/2 inches at a hundred. If my rifle and load will shoot an inch or better I’m good for the hunting I do. The longest shot I have is 275 yards. I load Nosler and Barnes, some Sierra. They all kill if I make a good shot. None of them are worth a cshit if I shank a shot.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have built more than a few rifles around a bullet or type of bullet. With the variety and quality of projectiles available it is a major consideration.
The whole package needs to compliment the delivery of said bullet to it's mark to do the job intended.....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord

For all you cited, why not just go with the prettiest packaging or whoever sends a cool hat?

+1

I like the red boxes. They seem to go the best with the battleship gray loading bench. I even wangled a free matching stool and 500 rounds of one of my favorite deer bullets. That's better than a hat.

[Linked Image]

. . . but then I'm usually only shooting at whitetails inside 150 yards. It's a matter of not worrying about what don't need worrying over.

Other big concerns:

What's the box of 100 cost? No, not 50. I said 100.
Are they in stock? Are they going to be in stock next year at this time?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fishdog52

That about sums it up.

I'm a member of "The Cult of It's the Indian, not The Arrow."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

That about sums it up.

You try killing an elk with a judo head screwed into a flu-flu.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK then, "It's the Indian, not the arrow, assuming the Indian has half a brain."

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That about sums it up.

You try killing an elk with a judo head screwed into a flu-flu.

Might make that my new sig line!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Your results will be no better than the input you neglect the most.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
OK then, "It's the Indian, not the arrow, assuming the Indian has half a brain."

That's assuming a LOT for the 'Fire.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Calibration and correct metering of your powder charge and a clean barrel are factors I put above and beyond the little pill coming out of the pipe

Those that shoot a LOT, not BR though, know that a clean barrel can be over rated. As to metering, weight might not be it, it might be volume.

I've shot enough around sweet spots to know that in the 223 you can easily be 2-4/10 off the middle and it not affect much at all unless true long range is involved.

That said I still try to get charges pretty close the further out the ammo use is.

And with that, I've won enough things at 600 with thrown charges that I also know a lot of what folks think that matters is in their head only.

Bullet stuff... makes two holes. Expands some in the process. Not to much for my tastes. Thats for hunting. For targets its highest BC that will shoot accurately for the use.

What do we use? Berger target bullets for slower rounds and when I need BC for longer distances I even switch over to the hunting ones with thinner jackets. For general use in slower rounds too, like 308 and 185s or heavier. And now in 6.5 creedmoor 140s.

But I still use TTSX in a lot of rounds. Can't quite recall using anything else much in years.

And actually an elk could be killed with a judo on a flu flu... but it would take the right shot. I've seen stuff killed with judo tips that surprised the heck out of me but you'd have to have a bit of archery experience to understand the implications

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, clean barrel don't mean nothing to me. It's akin to wiping your ass before you take a sheit.

Last edited by Steelhead; 05/03/19. Reason: [bleep] by Apple

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He whips his own ass?

That is truly badass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have lots of reloading dies I have bought over the years, with the intention of taking up reloading, but I still just buy Remington Core Lokt ammunition which does everything I require for a cartridge. BTW, I shoot my rifles, I don't "drive" them or "run" them. grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
He whips his own ass?

That is truly badass.

Agreed........

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.