-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the concrete master on one side and the metal structure master on the other side - doing the do-si-do square dance with the two man auger. They dug sixteen deep ones in that hot AZ sun and then moved on to the more technical stuff. Hard workers. Good folks. Watch for more pics as we go.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by krp
[Linked Image]

Mark and I digging holes in Benson.

Kent

Boy, y'all look like you need a TALL, COLD glass of iced tea.

Kent, if you're going down again, on a weekday, I'm avail on Mon, Tues, and Weds just about any week.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brian, Will you be bringing your Springfield 1911 again this year?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yep, and if I am driving a truck will bring this 22 target for the kids...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great. That will be fun for them.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spent the day at the range with Dennis. Y'all better be bringing your "A" game !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We oughta just give Dennis all the first place awards and then the rest of us go have a shooting competition...

Dennis could still compete, as our first place Professor Emeritus....

I personally love to see some of the vintage stuff he and Paul always show up with...

hey Jeff, how about bringing up the Grendal? I'd like to look at that and take a shot or two with it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, Dennis is excellent and may be even better prepared this summer, but he didn't come close to winning it all last tie. Memory says that Ron (talented visitor with his old Mod 70 in .222 Rem) won the steel shoot and yours truly won the rimfire 25 yard shoot and the 100 yard high power deal. I think Dennis won the long range .22 rimfire shoot and the prairie dog shoot. Anyway, it was good competition and hope some others will shoot well and win this summer. Due to some problems in the meantime, I have not pulled a trigger since then, but will try to tune up a bit when I am back up at our mountain place..

Dennis and I have been very busy ourselves and have not yet gotten together at all on the shoot plans, so I will offer here to bring the targets etc. for the 25 yard rimfire, the 100 yard high power and the 200 yard prairie dog shoot. Probably will need some help from you guys with the target setups up and running those shoots. Maybe Dennis will take care of the stuff for the steel shoot and the long range .22 rimfire deal; We will try to get some rules posted soon.

Tune 'em up !!!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Hey I did alright when I shot on my first trip there. ;-)

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Hey I did alright when I shot on my first trip there. ;-)

Yes, Ed, you did quite well. Are you going to come back for a repeat performance sometime? That would be really good.

IC B3

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John

I'll have the grendel with me. We'll burn up some powder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe Dennis can bring his Hansel - or - is it a Gretel?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Decided to check my email last night as I was getting ready to turn in. Top mail was from the Magdalena Ranger District, headlined "Roberts Fire." Fortunately the fine print revealed that it was over in the San Mateos in the Apache Kid Wilderness. Whew!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Ben, I suppose - although not liking to be reminded that much of the fun can go out of this event if we can't campfire and shoot in the Gila NF. It has been raining a bit this week and usually gets stronger soon - so we should be OK with the "too dry" issue. Now - no fires, please.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK !! Dennis and I finally have been able to get our thoughts and preps together, so posted below is the info on planned shoots. All assistance you can give us on-site will be much appreciated. Get ready for big fun. P

August 2019 Armijo Springs Southwest Campfire Gathering
Shooting Competitions

(competing shooters may not use the same firearm as another shooter in same event)

FRIDAY 8/2
5:00 pm – Rimfire Shoot
Distance: 30 yards at a 1 or 2 inch target spot
Firearm: rim fire sporting rifle with open or aperture sights (no scope or lighted lens)
Position: any free position with various pods/shooting sticks OK, or at bench with firearm not touching
Time once positioned: 4 minutes.
Goal: smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the target spot..

6:30 pm – Long Range .22 Rimfire Shoot
Distance: 125 yards at a 3 or 4 inch target spot
Firearm: .22 rim fire sporting rifle, any sights (not dedicated target/competition type rifle/sights)
Position: any
Time once positioned: 5 minutes
Goal: smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot in the target spot

SATURDAY 8/3
8:00 am: Prairie Dog Shoot
Distance: 200 yards
Firearm: any sporting firearm with any sights (not dedicated target/competition type) and no sight-in shots at this 200 yard setup station prior to the contest
Time once positioned: 3 minutes
Goal: one shot, closest to center of a small dot (about 1/2”)

10:00 am – Center Fire Tight Group Shoot Distance: 100 yards
Firearm: any sporting firearm with any sights (not dedicated target/competition type)
Time once positioned: 5 minutes
Goal: smallest three-shot group with at least one shot in the target spot

1:00 PM - Steel Shoot Distance: steels at approximately 100, 200, and 300 yards
Firearm: any sporting firearm with any sights (not dedicated target/competition type) Maximum case capacity is 30-06 size or smaller with max velocity of 3300 fps, to save the steel – honor system.
Position: any free position with various pods/shooting sticks OK, or at bench with firearm not touching anything except shooter’s body
Time once positioned: 6 minutes
Goal: 6 shots with at least one at each distance; must call each shot; points according to distance
Shooting order determined by draw.

2:30 PM - Bowling Pin Shoot Distance: 25 feet shooting at 5 bowling pins 18” apart on a table
Firearm: Handgun
Position: standing
Goal: Two shooters each match – winner is first to get all 5 pins off table. Double elimination format.
Rules:
For .17/.22 rim fire, pins are set 6" from the back of the table.
For.38 special/9mm and similar cartridges, pins are set in the middle of the table.
For cartridges larger than .38 Special, pins are set 6" from the front of the table,
18 shots allowed, but shooter must load only 6 at a time.
To compete with .17/.22 rim fire, participants must be age 15 or under.

Kindly submit any questions/comments on this open forum

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul/Dennis,

Bowling pin shoot question: How about allowing adults to shoot rim fire, but change the distance of the pin setting ?

Jeff

Last edited by Owl; 07/16/19.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KRP

The ice cream make would be great fun this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Owl
Paul/Dennis, Bowling pin shoot question: How about allowing adults to shoot rim fire, but change the distance of the pin setting ?Jeff

Well, whaddayathink Dennis?? Maybe say OK and change the pin distance to 50 yards?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
so are varmint rifles disqualified Paul?

I'd also like to suggest that people be able to sign up to shoot anyway they want ( or need to, due to health or physical restrictions)
as long as they are not shooting for any type of prize or award.....

after making the trip, some of us just like to participate and hang out with the friends we have made...

winning a prize or award means nothing to me...anything I've ever won in a prize, I've given it away to someone who could use it..

or as an alternative, let each event me open, any style and skip the prize thing...

I make the trip just to hang out with some of the best folks I've ever had the pleasure to know...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hello John - we've always shot what most of us see as "varmint" type rifles in these contests and there is no change to that. The "no dedicated target rifle/sights" rule has been with us for a while and many of have used what we call varmint rifles. All good there. These contests were originally designed as friendly, inclusive challenges and we want to keep that alive.

Few or none of us would keep anyone from going to the line to shoot "outside the rules" during one of these specific activities, Then again, we fully intend for these to be contested for ratings and so we need rules to insure some sort of competitive fairness. We don't know the definition of "participation trophy".

So, maybe the way to best accommodate those who want to join a particular shoot using a firearm that does not meet requirements or shoot from a position outside the rules, would be to have the competitors get on the list and do their thing and then also have non-competitors shoot once the competitors are finished. Accommodating, yet there would be no confusion about judged winners of the competition. But, PLEASE, do not shoot over mass or fps beyond the stated limit so as to damage or ruin the shooting steels..

I'm not going to decide this on my own and would like to hear what Dennis thinks - and from others as well.

And, of course, we always try to provide plenty of shooting space and have a bunch of "hang out impromptu group shooting" going on for anyone who wants to enjoy such - that won't go away.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.