Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

My friends,

Karen and I bought a new truck yesterday. It's a 2019 GMC Canyon Denali with the 4-cylinder 2.8-liter Baby Duramax engine.

My Question: This is our first diesel truck since they required the use of the AdBlue Def stuff. And, YES, I know it's urine gringringrin

Anyway, my question is this: How often do you need to add the AdBlue to its separate tank? And is it critical enough that I should carry a bottle or two in the bed of the truck

By the way, we are totally loving our new truck. It's just the perfect size for a couple of old poops.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First of all, GREAT looking vehicle!

As for the DEF, I'm reading you'll start to see a warning light on the dash when the level of DEF reaches 29% with 1000 miles of driving left on the DEF tank. The DEF tank holds 5.5 gallons and may not have been filled completely when new, just like the fuel tank. However, your dealer may have filled the DEF.

How many miles you can go on a tank of DEF depends on a lot of factors, but you should average around 6000 miles per tank of DEF.

Enjoy that new truck!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks, Walt. I truly appreciate your information

I believe that we're going to really enjoy our new rig. The color, by the way, is Smoky Quartz Metallic and it REALLY sparkles in the sunshine … leather interior is Jet-Black. Loving it.

Again, thank you.

Steve

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Get on You tube and search for Blue Def. There are a couple of good videos on it.You need to learn how to read the MFGR date code on the container. It has a shelf life of 1 year. The warmer it is, the less shelf life and that includes when you put it in your truck. Some of the stuff on shelves are past expiration date when you buy it.

I bought a 2019 Chevy Duramax last Dec. and I wish I had not filled the def tank all the way up.If I were you,unless you are running it very day, only fill it up half way. Your truck has a sensor and will tell you when you have to add. When you get that notice,you will have so many miles to go before your truck will only go 55mph because of low Def. Your owners manual will tell you about that.

If it sets in your truck too long, you will get a message of poor quality def. Bad thing about it, there is no drain plug on the def, so that means a trip to the shop to have them remove the tank and empty it a clean everything out. Form what I have learn that is about $300.

My truck is the same color as yours, but it is a 2500HD with full size Duramax V8

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it sets in your truck too long, you will get a message of poor quality def. Bad thing about it, there is no drain plug on the def, so that means a trip to the shop to have them remove the tank and empty it a clean everything out. Form what I have learn that is about $300.
Oh, wonderful. There's always a catch to anything they build, isn't there? My Dodge is an '08, pre-DEF. It has, or rather HAD, the DPF. It was deleted before I bought it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems to me that installing a drain plug or a dollars worth of poly flow tubing to siphon out the tank as needed would be cheaper than $300. to drop the tank. Nice looking GMC incidentally. I wasn't aware that GM made a 4 cylinder diesel pickup until I read this.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I tried to siphon mine.There is a screen or ? that prevents tubing to go into tank.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I tried to siphon mine.There is a screen or ? that prevents tubing to go into tank.

You mean a poly tubing preventer.......LOL

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That is a great looking truck!

I have a VW 3.0 TDI, so my diesel experience is based on that and previously owned older non-AdBlue Dodge Diesels.

First, you can get AdBlue at pretty much every gas station that carries diesel. I wouldn't bother carrying extra around. It's also pretty cheap at Wal Mart, and if in the PNW, Fred Meyer. AdBlue consumption correlates with the mileage you are getting, i.e. if you are using a heavy foot and/or towing, it will use a bunch more. I would guess that when towing, I use almost 2x the normal amount. My AdBlue refill light goes on around 7,000 mi, but at least in VW land you get around a 1,000 mile or so warning.

On another note, many folks who have diesels use some sort of fuel additive for lubricity and water dispersion. You may want to research that for your 2.8 GMC diesel.

Last edited by sigguy; 05/06/19.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not sure how it will be with the "baby" diesel, but on my Cummins ('16 Ram 2500), it all depends on how much I'm using the turbo. When I'm empty, I can go about 5k miles. When pulling the 5th wheel, about 1k is all I'll get. Sometimes, if hilly, less than that when pulling.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Cool, guys … I'm truly picking up a lot of great information about our new truck here.

I appreciate the fact that each of you reported from your personal experience. And that is something I cannot get from a manual or book.

Again, THANK YOU; and please keep them coming.

Steve

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not sure about small trucks, but my big trucks (Freightliners & Kenworths) get about 250 to 300 miles per gallon I think. I would think that your truck should have a gauge so that you can watch it. My GMC is a gas job, but you can probably scroll through the menu on the dash board and see how much you have. Like Saddlesore said, I wouldn't worry about keeping it full because I've heard that stuff can go bad also. However, on big trucks, they recommend keeping it on the full side because you can get crystal growth inside the tank. Not sure what to tell ya about that. One thing for sure is that you don't need to keep it in the back of your truck. Remember, it's piss water and it'll freeze. Most truck stops have DEF pumps now and you can buy it at any automotive store.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I really can't stress it enough.Get on YouTube and watch the video on how to read the MFGR date code.A lot of it in Auto Parts store is out of date and still on the shelves. The last time I checked Walmart,it was 6 months past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgwmaAqAXwA

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/06/19.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very nice truck indeed, enjoy it. There's not a day goes by that I don't wish that I had a new truck, but my crew cab 4 wheel drive, 2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax with 85,000 miles, does not require any pee fluid nor does it have to re-gen so I am very happy.

NEVER GIVE UP
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I can't report on the DEF but I can report that I like that truck! Congrats.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
zapper: My Ford also does not have a DEF quantity gauge. For what trucks cost I cannot believe it is not included. It is true DEF usage is based upon how hard the motor is working. Try to determine how much DEF you use. I get about 6000 miles on 2.5 gallons. DEF freeze point is 12* F. The tank is 5 gallons but the DEF is sold in 2.5 gallon containers. The heater in the DEF tank only works with the engine running. In the winter follow the owners manual for filling because you do not want to fill it to the top and then have it freeze and crack the tank. I had a defective tank heater and the cost of replacing it was $900. You do not want to carry DEF in your truck bed because it is highly corrosive.
Regarding fuels Diesel #1 flows more easily than Diesel #2, so it gels at a lower lower temperature. This is commonly referred to winter and summer blend.Your mileage will be noticeably less with diesel 1. You have to be careful where you buy your fuel in the winter because they do not drain the underground tanks but just add to them. I always add the manufacturer's additive when it gets really cold. The Ford additive gels at 15* F so you have to add it before it gets that cold. Once it mixes with the proper fuel it is good to the gel point of the fuel. A gelled fuel tank is expensive to rectify due to the 3 fuel filters in the system. Whatever you do do not add DEF to the fuel tank by mistake.
Diesel engines are expensive to maintain. The oil quantity is greater. The fuel filters need changing more often. Turbo chargers are expensive to rebuild.This winter on a 4000 mile trip the cost of diesel was 30 - 50 cents more than gas. Diesels are heavier and more costly initially.I calculated the break even point was over 80,000 miles over a gas engine. The torgue especially out West is great if you need it towing in the mountains.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Do yourself a favour and keep a box of disposable gloves in the vehicle, as the Adblue is corrosive and isn't so good on skin or clothing.

Some smarty out there worked out a way to convince the world to not only buy all his pig's piss, he also convinced them it was a good idea to run it through their exhaust system so he wouldn't have to go to the expense of getting rid of it.

Neat bit of marketing.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats - I picked up a holdover 2018 ZR2 2.8 in January. Liked some of the extra bits on the GMC Denali but liked the ZR2 look better. My truck had 2,000 miles (sales manager was driving it) on it and I've only put about 2500 miles on it. The 18's don't have a DEF percentage indicator until it's something like 75% and in 2500 miles I haven't seen a reading yet. I believe it's something like 5-7k that it'll need it though.

From most of what I've read, your best bet is just go to a truck service station that sells DEF at the pump and fill up from there as it's going to be the freshest (if it's a busy truck stop). The stuff does have a shelf life and it's not all that long. The emissions crap is the weak point on these trucks and most modern diesels.

If you're in a cold climate, read up on demuslifiers vs emulsifiers (anti-gels). You DO NOT want to use emulsifiers (ie: power service, etc.). I use Standayne in this 2.8 and my 5.9 cummins.

https://www.amazon.com/STANADYNE-DI...984574&s=automotive&sr=1-7-spell

It's also recommended to use some sort of fuel lubricant. Opti-lube XPD comes highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Opti-Lube-XPD-Diesel-Fuel-Improver/dp/B00FOSSQJU

If you're on face book, join the 2.8 forums.

Good Luck & Enjoy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I learned to drive, you drove into a gas station and told the guy to fill it up. Then you sat and looked at your map or listened to music while he filled the tank, checked your oil, and washed your windows. None of this crap we have to deal with today...this 'progress'.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
When I learned to drive, you drove into a gas station and told the guy to fill it up. Then you sat and looked at your map or listened to music while he filled the tank, checked your oil, and washed your windows. None of this crap we have to deal with today...this 'progress'.

True. My dad was in the fuel business as I grew up. The more people started whining a crying about prices at the pump, the fewer full service stations existed. It's a typical spoiled American consumer wanting a Cadillac at a Yugo price.

Last edited by JGRaider; 05/28/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.