Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Was killing time in a pawn shop today and came across a tsunami surf rod. Price was $35 firm, but upon close inspection, I noticed that one of the ceramic guide inserts was badly broken. Really want it but don't know where to buy a replacement or if it's worth the trouble. I have another tsunami that I absolutely love and thought this one would be a nice partner for it. Any thoughts? I even thought about pulling one out of an old junk rod and trying to carefully press it on with a clamp. ?

GB2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Most any guides can be replaced pretty cheaply. Don’t know if tsunami guides use special ones..

https://www.mudhole.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwJy-3c2E4gIVE0wNCh02jg3NEAAYASAAEgInNPD_BwE

I have bought guides from the above and replaced them myself.. local tackle shop is so cheap I send them to him..

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks a lot appreciate it👍

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
It really isn’t hard to do, especially if you are only replacing one. When making a rod from a bare blank care must be taken to keep the guides straight and on the correct side of the blank.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mike_S
It really isn’t hard to do, especially if you are only replacing one. When making a rod from a bare blank care must be taken to keep the guides straight and on the correct side of the blank.

Is adhesive necessary? I'm guessing it's gonna be a very snug fit. The guide is fine, it's the insert alone that's broken. I've been reading and some claim they're ceramic, and others claim to be some type of alloy. I really don't care if it "matches" the rest, just need to replace the insert.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33

Is adhesive necessary? I'm guessing it's gonna be a very snug fit. The guide is fine, it's the insert alone that's broken. I've been reading and some claim they're ceramic, and others claim to be some type of alloy. I really don't care if it "matches" the rest, just need to replace the insert.

yes, you're going to want to put finish epoxy on the wraps after you replace the guide.

Guides come with a few different types of ring inserts. They can be ceramic, Sic, Hardaloy, and a couple more I'm not remembering right now.

mudhole.com is a good place to look to find replacement guides, and they even have a tutorial showing you how to do it.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33

yes, you're going to want to put finish epoxy on the wraps after you replace the guide.

Guides come with a few different types of ring inserts. They can be ceramic, Sic, Hardaloy, and a couple more I'm not remembering right now.

mudhole.com is a good place to look to find replacement guides, and they even have a tutorial showing you how to do it.

Thank you

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
In my neck of the woods my local bait and tackle store will replace a cracked or broken guide for $10 (guide and labor total.) Have done it several times. Just like new again

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,751 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.