Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Cast
An old Swedish Abu.

Great reels, have a bunch, not the easiest to learn with and not for small hands unless you find old 1500/2500 models

GB2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Originally Posted by Cast
An old Swedish Abu.

Great reels, have a bunch, not the easiest to learn with and not for small hands unless you find old 1500/2500 models

The Abu "REVO" series is small framed which my son learned to use for his first baitcasting reel. Can be bought on EBay for reduced $$.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out Kast King reels, they are very well made and inexpensive. I haven't really found any baitcaster that doesn't backlash so a cheaper one might be the way to go. I like them for trolling and catfishing tho.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Lew's is one of the easiest reels there is to learn bait casting. powdr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A bit late, but if you're still in the market for a reel - or if you just want a heck of a deal on a spare - check out this one from Bass Pro Shop Spring Sale...

$50 REEL

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Shimano Curado,forget the rest!

1+

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
A bit late, but if you're still in the market for a reel - or if you just want a heck of a deal on a spare - check out this one from Bass Pro Shop Spring Sale...

$50 REEL

+1

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reel Question:(Get it?) Why do you guys use baitcasters? I would consider myself a High Journeyman, not yet Master, fisherman and do everything from fly fishing small water, bass in ponds and rivers, to bait fishing for trout and cats on occasion.( I like to sit on my ass once in a while) I generally get out 40 times a year.

All that said, I never use baitcasting reels. All spin and fly.

Please educate me on their advantages.

Thanks,

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up using baitcasters and still do but now that braid lets you use heavier line with spinning reels that's a good question. I like using a baitcaster with mono for topwater but could get by with spinning gear for that too. Probably the only real reason I use them is I like casting a baitcaster. Seems right for bass fishng with surface lures. YMMV.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Reel Question:(Get it?) Why do you guys use baitcasters? I would consider myself a High Journeyman, not yet Master, fisherman and do everything from fly fishing small water, bass in ponds and rivers, to bait fishing for trout and cats on occasion.( I like to sit on my ass once in a while) I generally get out 40 times a year.

All that said, I never use baitcasting reels. All spin and fly.

Please educate me on their advantages.

Thanks,

FWIW I have and use a couple of fly reels, several spin reels, the odd couple of spincasters, a sidecaster and a few baitcasters. Each has their place. I particularly like a baitcaster for accuracy: putting spinnerbaits and poppers in among snags where fish like to wait in ambush. You can flick them in, stopping the line just where you want to drop the lure - right up against a snag.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The areas where casting reels shine are vertical jigging and fishing in heavy cover. You have total control of the drop when jigging, and if a fish hits on the drop, you only have to thumb the spool to get an instant hookset - something not possible with a spinning reel. And in heavy cover, such as pitching a heavy jig, a casting reel is more like a winch when it comes to horsing a fish out of the cover. Also...some casting reels have a faster retrieve than spinning reels. So if you are burning a buzzbait or crankbait, it takes less effort and fewer handle turns.

Lastly, there is almost no line twist with a casting reel, even if you manage to reel against the drag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The areas where casting reels shine are vertical jigging and fishing in heavy cover. You have total control of the drop when jigging, and if a fish hits on the drop, you only have to thumb the spool to get an instant hookset - something not possible with a spinning reel. And in heavy cover, such as pitching a heavy jig, a casting reel is more like a winch when it comes to horsing a fish out of the cover. Also...some casting reels have a faster retrieve than spinning reels. So if you are burning a buzzbait or crankbait, it takes less effort and fewer handle turns.

Lastly, there is almost no line twist with a casting reel, even if you manage to reel against the drag.

Thanks Rocky, that is what I was looking for.

After asking the question I googled it and everyone spoke of accuracy. Enough practice on a spinner(my entire life) leaves me feeling that was not enough as I can drop a popper right where I want it in the cattails I occasionally fish big bass in. And I am no stranger to accuracy, hitting opposite shore banks, putting a dry fly right on a cutthroats nose.

With your answer however, I feel like buying one for a reason rather than a curiosity.

And thanks to everyone else who responded.

These threads are the reason I am on the 'fire to begin with. Sometimes I almost forget that with too much time spent on the "freakshow"

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Last edited by nemotheangler; 03/11/19. Reason: Sorry

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree on the accuracy possible with a spinning reel, nemo. By "feathering" the outgoing line with your index finger, it is possible to put a lure dead smack where you want it. It's no different than "thumbing" the spool of a casting reel, really. It takes practice and superb distance perception, but one can drop a lure within an inch or two with either type of gear.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I use spinning and casting both. A spinning reel big enough to handle larger bass lures will be heavier and more tiring to fish than a baitcaster. Plus line twist.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lews

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Lew's are good.

Originally Posted by powdr
The Lew's is one of the easiest reels there is to learn bait casting. powdr

Originally Posted by tedthorn
Lews

I like lews. Have several.

They make reels in all price ranges. Get good reviews.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (35, 308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,571 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.