Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bart27 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hope this question doesnt offend any one but I'd sure like to know. How many post does a person have to have before they are considered trustworthy and honest. Was dealing on a rifle and the last question I was asked is if the was another forum where I had more posts just wondering what the magic number is? I've bought and sold on here without any issues. Just wanted to reach that magic number. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No real magic number but I'd rather do business with someone with 2,000 posts than 2. Tells me he has been around a while and if there were issues someone would probably know. If you have done business with other members maybe give them as a reference. There really is no guarantees with who your dealing with - often complete strangers across the county so I try to gather as much info as possible and hope for the best. Been lucky so far.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You just made it...😀😀😀

Seriously, looking at how long you’ve been a member and that you can assemble a sentence your in with me...
Plus, As a seller I am not worried. As a buyer you normally can tell....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No offense CS but having no issues has little to do with luck. Your method works albeit pretty conservative.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
agree with what they said.

But here is a question. If a seller has 2000 posts and you look at their posts and, for example, more than half of them are "bump" or "tag", does that give you more confidence in them? I agree with what you said about how long they been a member. But every one here started at some point. Due diligence and gut feeling go a long way.

I've had great dealings here with buying and selling. Guess I've been lucky as well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tend to do like Daveh and centershot.
Just exercise a little caution......
I've found that the vast majority of folks here are honest upstanding men and women.
We do allow a minority of old soreheads though.....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Personally, I could care less if you have 2 posts, or 2000. If you have something for sale with 2 posts, and I'm a buyer, I send you a PM and it doesn't take long to figure out who is legit and who isn't after a few PM's. It's not Rocket Science. Haven't been burned yet, but it's not that difficult.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve bought/sold quite a bit here. Never a problem.
Generally if a person has less than 100 posts, I’ll look at his posts to gauge the content and then decide whether to proceed. If more than a hundred, I’ll likely do the deal.

NRA Patron
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Likewise, i would like a method of determining who is legitimate and who is not. i am relatively new here, having left Trapshooters and come over here. i traded a fair amount on Trapshooter and had good reviews, I have done probably 10-15 deals here and all went without a hitch. Seamless in all regards.

How does one get 2000 posts with any trading credibility. it would take me years, so trading would pretty much be out of the question. I have done all my buying with personal check, and encourage the seller to hold the merchandise ...until the check clears. Most have.shipped goods prior to the check having time to clear. With electronic banking things are much easier. I do not do Money Orders, that is a deal killer for me. Just not going to take the time and expense to go to the unfriendly post office to buy such. And try getting your money back is one is lost?

There is always a risk in any transaction, even at gun shows face-to-face. I will talk to the seller via telecon, if it is a substantial purchase price, that will usually ferret out dishonest people. Having said all that, I would like a reference page by individual as well. However, that is not fail-safe.

Just my two-cents. I do believe there are a lot of honest people on here. Buyer beware.

Benny Robinson (Oneoneshot)

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
As with a lot of things, communication is key. A member who is reluctant to divulge contact information always raises a red flag with me.
Sheer number of posts is just one factor.
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You can just tell about people on here. Post count doesn't matter to me. You've been on here a couple years and I can look back at your previous post. Since you have made a big public statement like this I would have no problem dealing with you.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don't think there is a number-- you just have to be trustworthy and honest--

Folks will know real soon.

Last edited by TBREW401; 05/06/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lightning
Personally, I could care less if you have 2 posts, or 2000. If you have something for sale with 2 posts, and I'm a buyer, I send you a PM and it doesn't take long to figure out who is legit and who isn't after a few PM's. It's not Rocket Science. Haven't been burned yet, but it's not that difficult.

I feel exactly the same way. I have never been burned by anybody on this forum or others and I have done my fair share of selling and buying.
A couple weeks ago I sold a book to guy that made his first post when he bought my book. I feel that I know them after a couple PM's or e-mails.
I hope I didn't speak too soon!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I usually go by the conversation and how quickly they respond with the appropriate answer or at least relevant response. I always pm my name and number up front to alleviate any fears of the person I am dealing with. I just try to exercise caution if I am buying and set the buyer at ease if I am selling.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I feel I’m coming up on the trust worthy number. LOL

Like others have said there isn’t a magic number but I don’t go around sending checks to just anyone.

You ain't about that life.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I will go out of my way to offer my name address and number even if I’m only the seller. I’ve nothing to hide. I feel communication is the key with any transaction. You just gotta have a gut feeling on deals. I’ve not been burnt before, but some have tried. It never got passed the awkward question or odd statement.....you just know.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on the $ amount, and your response to my e-mail requests and your location..

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m not sure why anyone would care if you were buying. If you send the money I’ll send the item, if you don’t I’ll get barnabus to call you a deadbeat douchbag. If you’re selling I am cautious buying from someone with only a few posts. If they are a member on another forum with longevity I’d be much more willing.

"We don't rent pigs"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sold a scope to a gent the other day and his 1st post was I'll take this scope. PM followed, immediate payment. Very smooth transaction.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
FWIW,

Since you're just askin',

I'd sell to you, but most likely would not buy from you at this point.

I'll just tell you, and this has no reflection on your character, it's just how I work. Perhaps I may lose a few good deals, but, there's nothing I buy here that I can't afford to pay a little more for, or absolutely cannot live without.

I just looked at your posts.

Almost all your posts are in the Classifieds, and a couple that I looked at had a sell price over $1k.

I stand to be corrected but I only saw one item that had sold and that was recent.

I like buying from guys that post in other forums where I have read their posts.

IMHO a guy that has 1K+ posts, with the majority in forums other than the classifieds is much more concerned about his rep than the money, as it can take a lifetime to build a rep, but a moment to destroy one's credibility.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 38 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.