-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Had a great day on the East Walker River here in Nevada today. 12 fish on, 9 to the net. Browns and Rainbows on nymphs.

Did some treacherous wading though with a few sticks I broke off/found.

Anyone here use a wading staff and have an opinion on them? Going to get one, just looking on which to trust my life with.

Has to be easy to stow when it's time to cast.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got an aluminum one I bought at Cabelas years ago and it works great for wading swift water & slick riverbed rocks. It's collapsible and weighs hardly anything. It's kept he from busting my ass in midstream many times.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I wont fish without a hiking pole, wade staff these days.I do alot of hike ins to creeks and rivers and try to access areas that most fisherman wont hike to and a hiking pole or two come it handy. Saves the hassle of falling down hiking up and down steep banks, crossing river or hiking on slick rocks.

I usually just use an old ski pole connected to my wading belt with a oiece of rope.I have this staff that i use too but find the old ski pole more handy

https://www.amazon.com/Hammers-Coll...-3&keywords=collapsible+wading+staff

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been using a Folstaff for the past few years. Deploys itself as soon as you pull it from it's holster making instantly useful if needed. Works GREAT and is very solid.
It has saved my butt more than a few times ..I will not wade without it! Can't recommend it highly enough.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MickeyD
I've been using a Folstaff for the past few years. Deploys itself as soon as you pull it from it's holster making instantly useful if needed. Works GREAT and is very solid.
It has saved my butt more than a few times ..I will not wade without it! Can't recommend it highly enough.

This is the winner. Thanks for the input.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I rarely if ever use a staff, but if my life is going to depend on it, anything the will collapse, telescope, or was held in place by bungee cord would not be my choice.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
For swift water I only use a solid hiking staff. For lazy shallow streams I use a collapsible staff. A member of my fly fishing club recently drowned after falling in swift water. I’ve now added a better automatic personal flotation device to my kit.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've been using the Simms wading staff for years. It is rock solid when deployed and has saved my butt many times.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
I rarely if ever use a staff, but if my life is going to depend on it, anything the will collapse, telescope, or was held in place by bungee cord would not be my choice.

The Folstaff is a damn solid unit once it is deployed. The bungee cord is only used to 'self assemble' and once assembled can be somewhat difficult to take apart if the joints aren't frequently
waxed. They will NOT come apart on their own.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Originally Posted by 1minute

The Folstaff is a damn solid unit once it is deployed. The bungee cord is only used to 'self assemble' and once assembled can be somewhat difficult to take apart if the joints aren't frequently
waxed. They will NOT come apart on their own.

I lost my Folstaff a couple years ago. Suspect I left it leaning up against a tree by the parking area. As MickyD (and others) have said, when pulled from the holster and extended it's rock solid. It is a pain to get apart after use and tapping the end on a rock will allow you to do so. I had a spare staff from LL Bean I've been using and it's a lot less "precision" and easier to get apart and still snaps together quickly when pulled from a holster.

I don't fish much water that needs a staff anymore but the couple I do it's an invaluable tool and I pull it out and let it float behind me if I think I'm going to need it.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I would avoid any bungee type of wading staff. The bottom section will stick in mud. I have had to reach down into the water and pull the bottom section out of the mud to retrieve it, a real pain in the neck and dangerous. It works fine for rocky bottoms but for mud it is worthless.

"Individual liberty depends on keeping government under control" Ronald Reagan

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dont like the Folstaff. Had one for 20 years. Tthe bungee cord loses strength after a season or two and it wont snap itself together like when new. Also, lower segment can stick in stream bottom leaving you with a liability instead of an asset.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i have a hundred dollar orvis one, still fall in all the time

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
sse,

Sounds like me. - FALLING seems to be my "hobby" these days.

FYI, in my opinion, NOTHING beats a HICKORY staff. = Mine was turned on a lathe from a well-seasoned stick of native hickory by a local "VO-tech" teacher at the HS.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.