Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Karen's buck, taken on the same hunt.

If I recall, she used her 250/3000 Ackley, and made a perfect shot.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Karen's buck, taken on the same hunt.

If I recall, she used her 250/3000 Ackley, and made a perfect shot.

👍👍👍. That’s awesome!! going antelope this year for the first time if everything works out. Those bucks are awesome.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I have a bat machine vr pic action, machined in pic rail and recoil lug. I personally think the solid top machined in pic rail across the top of the action adds a huge amount of stiffness to the action. I feel this makes a noticeable difference. It’s also a slick way of the having no extra parts. I have no issues top loading or unloading this action. Defiance makes a very similar action, and they also make an action that has a thinned out machined in rail over the cutout. I would first get their version of action that us similar to mine if you still insit on action cut out size and are worried about it. I bet gap could get one of those defiance actions like I describe. I hadn’t looked at defiance stuff in a while imo it looks have options for anything a guy could want. Wanna know a custom action company that fell,off the map? Surgeon wtf happened to them

[quote=cumminscowboy]

I could be wrong about this, but isn’t GAP’s Templar II a Defiance action? Just seems like more weight than I need, but I could be wrong!

Chris
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GuideGun
If you're stuck on using a BDL bottom metal I would look into the Hawkins Precision model.

https://hawkinsprecision.com/bottom-metal/

Thank you. I will. I wasn’t familiar with them.

Chris
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ctsmith
3B and 4 are stout barrels. A #3 is plenty, 3B max.

BTW, I have ordered the parts and now playing the waiting game for essentially the same blueprint and for the same purposes. I went with a #3 after mulling over it and the 3B for a while. Beanland is building mine. I agree with you on the BDL bottom, I went with Hawkins BDL.

Hawkins, a fluted 3B at 21”, and the EH2 or EH6 is really speaking to me. I get it...heavier than is needed. GAP says that the EH6 will slow things down a bit, as they have standing orders for the EH2. Thinking about it more, the slightly wider forearm of the EH2 may be desirable to me.

Chris
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gies340
My non-typical; fluted barrel and brake:
[Linked Image]

Is that M4 or PTG?

Chris
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pat, you've got to remember we're in the south. We're rednecks. A smooth belly is much more convenient to lay on the hood of the truck or the roof of the SxS.

I can’t quite figure out if you’re being tongue-in-cheek. Seriously fellas, I cannot be the only one who has tried to carry their rifle in front of the M5 with AI mag installed and felt it was balanced too far back?? To be fair though, that was with a T-4A stock...pretty butt-heavy.

I do like the way rounds strip off the top of a single-stack mag though...

Chris
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Big Stick
It's a rather Halibut-esque Blueprint.

While I love Marty,I don't much care for his alloy M4's.

Hint..................

Noone cares....

Few care as much as you. Congratulations?!?

Do not "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery and your only "move".

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by richardca99
Pat, you've got to remember we're in the south. We're rednecks. A smooth belly is much more convenient to lay on the hood of the truck or the roof of the SxS.

I can’t quite figure out if you’re being tongue-in-cheek. Seriously fellas, I cannot be the only one who has tried to carry their rifle in front of the M5 with AI mag installed and felt it was balanced too far back?? To be fair though, that was with a T-4A stock...pretty butt-heavy.

Build for balance/handling.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Is that M4 or PTG?

Richard - it is whatever GAP uses on their standard Non-Typical. I'm sure Pat et al can be more specific. I like it a lot. Having said that, local buddy has the xtreme hunter with the APA style and it's just as nice.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M4.

Hint............

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

That was NOT tongue in cheek (maybe a little bit). I often shoot with the rifle rested on the hood of the truck, or standing in the back of a SxS with the rifle resting on the roof. A magazine makes it much more awkward.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

That was NOT tongue in cheek (maybe a little bit). I often shoot with the rifle rested on the hood of the truck, or standing in the back of a SxS with the rifle resting on the roof. A magazine makes it much more awkward.

I thought you shot from the tractor? ....grin....

I dislike a mag below the stock line while hunting for how I usually carry a rifle with one hand under the action. Yeah, it can still be done but it's not as comfortable for me. The Curtis Customs would be a game changer for hunting.....would love to see one for .223's as the 5 round Accurate-Mag still has enough protrusion that I skip it and carry a blind mag if I'm going up the mountain.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Tractors too, but I didn't want to give away all of my secret hunting techniques. Thanks Jay. grin

While we're on the subject, I've been know to use a grill for a rest. The rifle is in a totally supported position with the grill pushed all the way up to the trigger guard and can be steadied for long long shot. Doesn't work at all with a magazine. When I'm grill hunting its BDL or ADL.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I spent an hour on the phone with Jeremy at GAP yesterday afternoon. Several of the recommendations I got from folks in this thread we’re key to my decisions, so thanks to everyone for their input. Here’s where things stand...probably going to pull the trigger on Monday.

- #3B Bartlein contour fluted that finishes at 21”

- 10 or 11.25 twist .308 Win (still struggling on this...)

- Barrel threaded with protector.

- Templar V1 Hunter action.

- Manners EH2 stock

- Hawkins BDL bottom metal

- Trigger Tech Primary or Special

Graphite black Cerakote, nitrited action interior, and GAP camo paint on the stock (they have a guy who does their stock patterns to make them look like the McMillan versions (which I love).

Did you know that Defiance/GAP makes a M70 style 3-position safety for the Templar??? It’s $460 extra and a long wait, but so tempting as I really wanted a safety that would lock the bolt.

Question: I am only interested in shooting this gun to 600 yards, and I am not a high-volume shooter. If I stay in the 168-178 grain range for projectiles (maybe some 185 Juggernauts here and there), should I go with the 10 or 11.25 twist? I have no interest in finding out later that a really long 178 won’t stabilize...but is 10 twist really going to drive up pressure and cause premature throat erosion? Will accuracy suffer if I’m spinning them too fast?

Chris
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Go the 10 twist it’ll stabilize most anything you want to shoot...but I’d shoot the 155 Scenar...

Public landowner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
8" and 7-08.

Hint................

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
8" and 7-08.

Hint................

I’ve thought hard about the 7-08...but 8 twist? I can’t imagine shooting heavier than the 168.

Chris
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the .796BC and hold the Fluff...if only because I shoot it all and then some.

Hint.................

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I spent an hour on the phone with Jeremy at GAP yesterday afternoon. Several of the recommendations I got from folks in this thread we’re key to my decisions, so thanks to everyone for their input. Here’s where things stand...probably going to pull the trigger on Monday.

- #3B Bartlein contour fluted that finishes at 21”

- 10 or 11.25 twist .308 Win (still struggling on this...)

- Barrel threaded with protector.

- Templar V1 Hunter action.

- Manners EH2 stock

- Hawkins BDL bottom metal

- Trigger Tech Primary or Special

Graphite black Cerakote, nitrited action interior, and GAP camo paint on the stock (they have a guy who does their stock patterns to make them look like the McMillan versions (which I love).

Did you know that Defiance/GAP makes a M70 style 3-position safety for the Templar??? It’s $460 extra and a long wait, but so tempting as I really wanted a safety that would lock the bolt.

Question: I am only interested in shooting this gun to 600 yards, and I am not a high-volume shooter. If I stay in the 168-178 grain range for projectiles (maybe some 185 Juggernauts here and there), should I go with the 10 or 11.25 twist? I have no interest in finding out later that a really long 178 won’t stabilize...but is 10 twist really going to drive up pressure and cause premature throat erosion? Will accuracy suffer if I’m spinning them too fast?

I’ve had both 10” and 11” twist in .308. There’s no down side to going with 10”. Mine shot at least as well if not better than the 11” twist.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

726 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 3,296 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.