Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by richardca99
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Beware that the EH2 has a lot of heel drop, very similar to McMillans HTG. They do not fit me at all. Fit is subjective, just making sure you're aware.

So the EH2 looks similar to the McMillan Hunter format, which has a similar drop at heel. That is my favorite stock, so I'm guessing I'll be okay with the EH2. Curious why it doesn't fit you though...is it only in a particular shooting position?

It'd be nice if McMillan would list their stock specs like Manners. https://mannersstocks.com/stock-technical-specifications/

For me, the lower heel makes pad shoulder contact way too low. In a standing shooting position its manageable (but not ideal). The closer to the ground, the worse it gets. In prone the pad is literally below my shoulder with only the top tip contacting the lowest part of my shoulder. I absolutely hate it, but that's just me.

Regarding barrels, as previously mentioned, I just went through the exact same decision and went Bartein 3 over the 3B. I have a rifle built on a Bighorn, EH3, and Barlein 2B that is nearly perfect, and shoots phenomenal. The only reason I upped the contour to a 3 was the fact that 2B is in 6.5 and the .308 is a much bigger hole.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Man, that's it! So what would you have done differently...

Not much, it was on their rifles ready to ship page, and was what I had in mind for a build. Talked to George and he recommended to chop the barrel to 20” to provide the min .725” for the TBAC CB. Added the rail. That was it!

The sheep hunter port just cuts the port side of the action to trim some weight.

I’ll probably try the Templar VII with GAP hunter port like Pat suggested for a future build, to try the integrated split bases rather than a rail.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Good call Marty - I'm kicking around building/buying one myself tired

Perfect antelope and mule deer rifle!

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stock fit is highly subjective but for me, I'd skip the Manners, the 308 and the #3b..........Manners EH-2 - 8"s just don't fit me well. The reach to the trigger is the problem, though the stocks are very well built, I just can't get behind them!

Anything vertical gripped from Manners or McMillian works fine for me but for Sporter up to Varmint type stocks, I like McMillan!

I'm 6'4" and 250lbs, yet I like tight closed grips with a palm swell. Anyone smaller is likely to have similar problems with Manners (most won't even know it). Not having to reach for the trigger with a good cheek weld is what I'm looking for.....

Bartlein 3b's are unnecessarily heavy for what your describing and .308's suck heavy ass in comparison to most everything chambered and properly throated these days...

If I were about to drop GAP money I'd be thinking Bartlein 2B, McMillan Hunter w/Edge technology and 8" twist 7mm-08......

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 05/12/19.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Douglas #3 in a Classic...is a Halibut and LEGENDARY.(grin)

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Man, that's it! So what would you have done differently...

Not much, it was on their rifles ready to ship page, and was what I had in mind for a build. Talked to George and he recommended to chop the barrel to 20” to provide the min .725” for the TBAC CB. Added the rail. That was it!

The sheep hunter port just cuts the port side of the action to trim some weight.

I’ll probably try the Templar VII with GAP hunter port like Pat suggested for a future build, to try the integrated split bases rather than a rail.

I like it.

Chris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

As I think Scenarshooter mentioned, that #3 looks heavier than I expected. It doesn't scare me away from a 3B, but it's clearly not a sporter profile.

Chris - the Bartlein #3 is equivalent to many #4's.

I wanted a bit heavier tube on my 6mm Creedmoor and it surely got me that.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I did it. Order placed yesterday. Thanks for all the helpful feedback everyone provided (even if I didn't follow your recommendations). Remember that this was not intended to be a lightweight carry rifle. It's a rifle for hunting from fixed stands and blinds, and it'll be shot off the bench a lot. I know that the CRF was completely unnecessary, but I really like the FN SPR and DBM setup (except for it not being AICS compatible), and this is a setup that I'm really interested in trying from Defiance. I like the three-position safeties because they block the firing pin (not just the sear) and lock the bolt when engaged. The APA RTG was a departure for me; the more I looked at it and the Curtis magazine, the more I decided I could get the best of both worlds with this setup. GAP really likes that bottom metal (it's their standard now on magazine guns).

This will be very similar to a 20" M700 5R, and that's a format I really like. Or, if you like, an FN SPR with a much more trim stock.

- Manners EH2 with painted (Cerakote) GAP camo by Larsen Tactical
- Templar V1 (Hunter) with controlled-round feed and three-position safety
- APA RTG bottom metal with Curtis 3-round flush fit magazine
- Bartlein #4 fluted, 10" twist, finished at 21"
- Trigger Tech Special tuned to 2.5 lbs.
- Nitrided bolt and action
- Atlas pic rail on the forearm for bipod use
- Cerakote graphite black

Chris
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
The parts list couldn't be any better should be a very accurate rifle....looking forward to some pics!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Awesome. Do we get to spend your money on a scope now?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right on Richard. Need pics when done.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Awesome. Do we get to spend your money on a scope now?

I have a VX-6HD 2-12x42 ready to go. If I get a wild hair, it'll be a NF 4-16x42 F1.

Last edited by richardca99; 05/16/19.

Chris
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chris,
Looking forward to seeing the end result!

ALDO LEOPOLD
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My custom build lesson-learned was not to allow so much shank. Tube is heavy on that end! Went 2b on a .223 and it’s no lightweight. Of course the shorter barrel will help.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Man I hate to be the spoiler but my money is on you regretting the Bartlien #4. They are heavy. Rifle is going to be 10 lbs with a 20oz scope and picatinny rings.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Man I hate to be the spoiler but my money is on you regretting the Bartlien #4. They are heavy. Rifle is going to be 10 lbs with a 20oz scope and picatinny rings.

I really don’t think. But, if I am, barrels are easily replaced.

Chris
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The only way to know is to try it. I know thats the way I learned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And now the wait. smile
Looking forward to the report!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

- #3B Bartlein contour fluted that finishes at 21”

- 10 or 11.25 twist .308 Win (still struggling on this...)

- Barrel threaded with protector.

- Templar V1 Hunter action.

- Manners EH2 stock

- Hawkins BDL bottom metal

- Trigger Tech Primary or Special

Graphite black Cerakote, nitrited action interior, and GAP camo paint on the stock (they have a guy who does their stock patterns to make them look like the McMillan versions (which I love).

Kind of like this?
Bartlein #3, 20”
TBAC CB
Templar V1 sheep hunter
15 MOA non-typical rail
EH-2
APA RTG DBM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So...I did something I should have done two weeks ago. I got my calipers out and took a hard look at the dimensions of the factory barrels I have on-hand. I also took a close look at photos of some EH2s inletted for #4 Bartlein contours. With "hat in hand," here's what I've determined:

- The #4 Bartlein looks WAY too thick for the forearm on the EH2. They make it work, but the sides of the stock are paper thin toward the front of the forearm, and I don't like it.
- Most of you suggested that I go no heavier than #3 Bartlein, and you were right. Spending some time with my calipers, I've concluded that this is the way to go.

This will make this build identical to what Kimber7man got from GAP (photos above), and I suspect it will balance much better.. I'll call GAP tomorrow morning. I doubt they've done anything given that I just placed the order last week, but, if it costs me a little to make a change, so be it. Again, thanks for the help. Here are the new specs:

- Manners EH2 with painted GAP camo by Larsen Tactical, Atlas bipod rail, and non-rotating flush cups on left side
- Templar V1 Hunter action with "sheep port," controlled-round feed, and three-position safety
- APA RTG bottom metal with Curtis 3-round flush fit magazine
- Bartlein #3 fluted, 10" twist, finished at 21"
- Trigger Tech Special tuned to 2.5 lbs.
- Nitrided bolt and action
- Atlas pic rail on the forearm for bipod use
- Cerakote graphite black

Last edited by richardca99; 05/19/19.

Chris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you made a good decision.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.