Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Was messing around cleaning the 223 barrel that came on the TCR 83 I bought not too long ago. Extractor looked grungy when extended out so I removed it and quite rusty inside the slot it moves in. In fact the cartridge end of it almost looks to have been rewelded, modified or something? Are there and parts at all such as this available anywhere? It works fine but just curious if anyone knows of any small parts sources? Thanks.

Respectfully,
Dennis

GB1

G
G
Maybe try SSK industries or Bullberry? Also might not hurt to contact T&C they might know somebody I would guess any of the parts T&C had left when they left Rochester either are at S&W/T&C or maybe there's a gunsmith out there that bought them up. Might be worth seeing if it's possible to modify a encore or contender extractor they might be close (never seen a 83 or 87 so I don't know for sure). Hope this helps

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
SDWhirlwind: Sadly, when T/C had their infamous fire, the building where the TCR's were built was a total loss. As well as ALL their parts inventory. Therefore there are no parts. When I discovered that, I sold mine and never looked back.

That is why T/C discontinued the TCR... Too expensive to replace all the tooling for no more demand than there was.

Last edited by Grasshopper; 05/13/19.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

P
P
Asked the same question on another forum and got the same answer. Apparently no source of parts for the TCRs. Whole rifles and receivers occasionally show up on the auction sites. Bought a rifle sold "with issues" awhile back. Traded the barrel and stock off and kept the receiver as a source for parts. Did find that the little extractor spring you need for rimless cartridges is the same as the one on the Encores. Numrich lists the spring as available on their website. They also sometimes have stuff they don't have listed. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask if you need something;. Not much help, but apparently the best we can do.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks a lot guys. Seems I am always in reverse, should have asked the parts availability question BEFORE I bought this. I guess I didn't realize that everything was in the one building when it burned. Assumed that was just the facility where they were made and not where everything TCR was kept. About my luck!!! There is a reason I don't have 'Lucky' tattooed on me anywhere.lol

The extractor in it now kinda looks like it may have broke or cracked @ the 90* bend. Small inclusions in the metal like it was welded or ? Also the circular recess that goes into casing groove isn't machined quite centered. So thought a would see if I could track one down know. Sent Wendall @ Out Back Gun Parts an email and he has nothing.

Again Thanks.
Respectfully,
Dennis

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always kind of wanted a TCR. I now know to steer clear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dennis, there is a guy in my town that carries hundreds of TC pistols, rifles, barrels and parts. I know he has TCR barrels and sometimes frames. It is Ed's Contenders. If he doesn't have it, he is a member of the Thompson Center Members organization.
He might have some contacts or, someone that has encountered this problem and might have a fix. Try this site. If you call, leave message. He has another job and will check in. I live about 30 minutes from his shop so if you can't reach him, send me a photo of what it is you need and what barrel it is on and I can go by there. I'm always up for a trip to his shop. Last time I went there for a scope base, I came out with 2 Encore pistol barrels, 500 rounds of 22 WMR and of course two scope bases. HAH

www.Edstc.com

Mike

Last edited by McClura; 06/18/19.

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks a bunch Mike, will get in contact with him and see if he may have what I am looking for. Currently what I have is working with no problems but thought I would find a spare now vs. waiting until I actually need it. Again thanks.

Respectfully,
Dennis

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well, the fine fellow got right back to me with an email and he does not have one! frown Me thinks I am SOL. Anyone else know of a possible source?

P
P
My gunsmith has made me some small parts for a couple of project rifles, so I would think somebody could make you an extractor if you needed one. I the meantime, you still own a really nice rifle that isn't being made anymore. I know the lack of a parts source isn't going to make me trade my TCRs off.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by pdkfishing
My gunsmith has made me some small parts for a couple of project rifles, so I would think somebody could make you an extractor if you needed one. I the meantime, you still own a really nice rifle that isn't being made anymore. I know the lack of a parts source isn't going to make me trade my TCRs off.

It isn't really a complicated piece. Wished I had a small mill I know I could make one. Of course not a piece to make on a lathe, I have 2 of them. I do have a milling attachment for the Atlas but would have to come up with some way to hold such a small piece. Works ok for some things but surely doesn't take the place of an actual mill. Could be made with files etc if a person was real desperate. Wonder what kind of steel it is and where I could get a piece as close to the dimensions I need as possible. Since a couple of strokes things don't come as easy as they once did.

The main deal is to not see how hot one can go. With Federal 35gr Hornets they just slide right out, don't need extractor.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mike Bellm still works on ‘em.

www.bellmtcs.com

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,188
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.