Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have owned several Browning Model 71s but never an original. I am trying to change that by working out a deal for a Winchester Model 71 .348 Winchester with a 24 inch barrel. If this works out the first order of business will be to remove the scope and side mount currently on it and then send it to Tyler Gun Works and have him weld up the three holes from the mount and color case the frame and rust blue the rest of the metal. I am debating on whether to replace the wood or or just refinish the current wood and have it checkered. I will put up some “before” pictures on arrival and some “after” when Bobby is through with it. Should be a fun project.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First of all, congratulations on getting an original 71. My only comment beyond that is I would think carefully about having all this work done. You will put a lot of money into this and to other people the rifle will not be worth what it costs you to do all this. If it is worth it to you then by all means do it but the rifle will hunt the same before and after. The only reason I bring this up is that I once had the urge to rework a WWI G98. New blue, sanded and refinished the stock. Looks gorgeous but I have regretted doing it ever since. I wish I could undo what I did to that rifle. I hunt with a rifle like the one you describe all the time and even with the extra holes it still kills deer and feels great in my hands. For what you will put into it you can probably get close to buying an untouched 71 and feel better about it.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks for the comments. I am getting it at a great price so once I add the work I will still have less in it than what average 71s are selling for. I really like the look of Bobby's case coloring and have been looking for a good gun to have it done to. I am also thinking about adding a red recoil pad since I am not going for the original look.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are right, that case coloring looks really good. You will have a nice looking rifle when it is finished and it will sort of be personalized to you which is a plus. Please post pictures when it is finished.

limits.- Albert Einstein
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
The gun is on its way to me now. It is not every day you can get a Model 71 under $1000! As soon as it gets here I am going to send it to Tyler's and have it spiffed up

[Linked Image]

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Also I am looking for an all steel Lyman receiver sight if anyone knows where I can find one

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If that Model 71 was mine I wouldn't change a thing but that's just my take on it. It's a nice looking setup.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Any suggestions on a bullet mold?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Haven't gone into bullet casting but I'd go as heavy as possible. If this was my 71, i would work up accuracy loads with the scope on and then (as you said) switch to one of those repro Lyman side mounted peeps that would cover some of the side mount holes. Buffalo arms makes the reproduction Model 21 Lyman. It would look great and disguise the mounting holes somewhat.
Much handier gun without the scope but it would be nice to have sometimes. My own 71 is capable of 300 yard trajectory and accuracy but my open site use at that range is a bit shaky.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/lyman-21-type-receiver-sight-for-model-95-86s-blued-ptclongb

good article on cast bullets

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/casting/castinthe348winchester.htm

Last edited by North61; 05/09/19.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I also found out that New Jersey sucks. They require it to go FFL to FFL so much C&R doesn’t count.

IC B3

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Nice pickup.

On your question of moulds for the 348, I'm sure there will be other options for you but I have the two GC designs made by CBE in Australia. One is around 220gr and the other around 260gr. Both work fine but if you are concerned about the GC sitting below the neck line, then go for the 220gr version.

348 Win chambers have no throat to speak of. Some mould designs may have too long a front drive band and may foul when crimped in their crimp groove. I use a Lee FCD to crimp the bullet in place once you work out the best OAL that feeds and cycles well.

Last edited by JFE; 05/10/19.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
In case you're referring to a steel Lyman 56 or 66 it's best to check ebay but they are well bid when they come up. There is an outfit that makes a copy of the Redfield sight but prices are fairly hefty.

https://www.dwbattlesight.com/products.html

G
G
Sounds like you got a great deal and I think you should set it up the way you want. Just a suggestion but if it were mine I'd get some shells and give her a try before I went any further you might like the scope (might be handy especially with some of the antler restrictions some states are doing now and the 348 has some range to her). 348 is a great cartridge been one of my favorites for quite a few decades now one of those calibers that always seems to work no matter what size the game and recoil really isn't that bad (I've been shooting one since I was 13). If your looking at ammo I've found they really do better with jacketed slugs cast is ok but out of 3 different ones I've shot seems the old 200 gr. Silvertips always did best for accuracy next would be 200 gr hornady flat point and then a toss up between 200 gr. swift a frames and 250 woodleigh. The leverevolution bullets I haven't tried yet I'm kinda weary of them I guess I'm just old school flat point only in a tube magazine. I had some Jameson brass that split on the first firing so I'd recommend either finding Winchester or hornady cases. Hope this helps

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Congratulations ! A 71 is on my bucket list.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only if your bolt is already cut for the bolt peep.

limits.- Albert Einstein
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have the dies, cases and bullets so any suggestion on powders?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by pacecars
I have the dies, cases and bullets so any suggestion on powders?

Send jorgeI a PM with your email - he's assembled an extensive spreadsheet with all kinds of load data and has offered to share. I just received a copy from him, but to summarize where he ended up with his 71: Varget with 200 gr bullets and H4350 with 250's.

Last edited by JGray; 05/16/19.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Got the rife today and it is not milled for the bolt peep so I will be putting a Lyman or Williams receiver sight on it. Talked to Bobby Tyler and it will be headed his way Monday for some spiffing up!

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I sent it to Tyler Gun Works this morning. Decided to go ahead and have the barrel, mag tube, lever, hammer and loading gate blued with the receiver, butt plate and forend cap case colored after welding up the scope mount holes. I cant wait!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 81 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.