Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'd be interested in feedback on a rifle I'm having GA Precision put together. I've owned lots of rifles, but this will be my first foray into a custom build. It's driven by my inability to get exactly what I want over-the-counter...I'm sure some of you can relate. This will be a deer rifle first and foremost--primarily used in the mixed hardwood bottoms and open fields of south-central Georgia. I’ll hunt with it almost entirely from enclosed blinds, elevated tripods, and climbing stands, so short and compact with good balance is a must. I’ve learned the expensive way that unnecessary weight and poor handling are not the way I want to go, so I’m looking for that elusive compromise between good handling and stability. This rifle will never be carried a long distance, so heaver than sporter weight is fine. I want a rifle I can practice with out to 600, but my hunting shots will be limited to 300-400 yards. The rifle should be legitimately capabile of 0.5 MOA or better, as I'm a handloader, and I like cutting tiny clusters on paper when I'm not hunting. On the bench, I’ll generally shoot off an Atlas bipod because I find it more stable than a traditional front rest. Here's what I'm thinking:

- #4 or #3B Bartlein contour fluted (cuz I like it) that finishes at 20-21” with a recessed target crown.

- Barrel should be threaded so that I can add a Surefire muzzle brake (later, if I choose).

- Caliber is 308 Winchester. Why? Because I find it stupid easy to load for, and I'm heavily invested in that caliber. Barrel life is forever, downrange energy is good for hunting, and it does well in a short barrel. As for twist rate, either 1:10 or 1:11.25...I generally shoot 165-168s and long 175-178s (e.g. Game Changers, Accubond LR). I want to be able to shoot all the 175-178s up to 185 Juggernauts without worrying about stability under ANY conditions (keep in mind, 20-21" barrel and hot, humid, sea-level). I'm leaning toward 1:10, but tell me if I'm wrong.

- GAP Templar Hunter action (allows top-loading) and PTG Short Action Oberndorf or Badger M4 bottom metal. Not a fan of DBM, as they handle for [bleep] in the woods...

- Manners EH6 (carbon fiber) with a 1” Pachmeyer Decelerator pad. I could be talked into another stock (like the EH-2 or EH-4) if the EH-6 forearm can't accomodate a bipod rail. I think the EH-1 is too bulky for what I'm trying to do here.

- No mini-chassis for this stock...traditional pillars and bedding.

- Drilled and tapped 8x40 for a 20 MOA picatinny rail. Scope will likely be a VX-6HD 2-12x42, as I can get it very low, and I'm not sure you can get better optics for the weight. I like the NF 4-16x42 F1, but it's HEAVY, and I don't need it for this gun.

- Two sling studs up front to accomodate the picatinny rail, but likely flush cups elsewhere.

- PTG 700 Short Action Oberndorf style bottom metal.

- Probably a Timney Calvin Elite or Jewel trigger. Would love the bolt to lock when safety is engaged (if possible).

- If I could keep it close to (or under) 9 pounds before optics, I’d be a happy camper!

Balance, weight, and handling are "king," but tell me what I'm not thinking about! Honestly, the only other caliber I'd consider is 7mm-08, and I like the downrange energy of the .308 at the ranges I'll be shooting. I'm in a trophy club with strict rules/fines, so you really can't shoot 'em any further than you can field score them. Because of this, hunting shots beyond 300-400 just aren't in the cards for this gun. For mountain hunting, long range, and other specialty situations I have other rifles. I plan to go with GAP becuase of their reputation and because their customer service is top notch. I know there are other smiths out there that build excellent rifles, but I think I'm settled on GAP.

Thank you!

Chris
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at the Templar VII....split picatinny, 20 moa(open top) machined in, no bolt on rail.

If you go Templar Hunter, it comes with 8X40.

Trigger Tech Diamond is the trigger I'd go with.

If your target weight is nine pounds all up, you may have to go lighter on the barrel contour.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd take any and all advice that scenarshooter has. I'll just add that I'd skip the PTG bottom metal. Too many reports of it not latching properly (although mine is fine so far).
You shouldn't have trouble shooting bug holes with any GAP chambering. Be sure to give us a report when you get it!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by richardca99
I’ll hunt with it almost entirely from enclosed blinds, elevated tripods, and climbing stands

Not a fan of DBM, as they handle for [bleep] in the woods...

I don't see a problem with DBM. The dang thing will be slung on your shoulder, thru the 'woods' on your strenuous journey to those blinds, stands and tripods. And if your going to take a shot, it will be in both hands, neither of which is close to that pesky, '[bleep]', hangie-down mag. So where is the 'handling' problem? And if it ain't gonna be slung, why bother with the expense of un-needed flushcups?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He said 9lbs before optics. A factory LTR won't break that ceiling and it's a 20" fluted Rem Varm contour.

I really like the concept the OP outlines and see much merit in a mag-sporter+ .308win with a 21" tube. I once had a 700 with a #4 .223 barrel at 21" and it balanced well in a heavy factory laminate. The flutes and .30cal bore are going to take weight off, so this one would likely balance okay in a lightweight handle, maybe better in a standard-fill fiberglass stock. I'd imagine he's looking at something around a .700-.725" muzzle, plus or minus?

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I don't see any handling issues with dbm's either and I've got a bunch, but if it aint your thing it aint your thing.

I'd drop contour to a 2b and go 7-08.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds a lot like a GAP Nontypical with a shorter barrel and a Manners upgrade.

http://www.gaprecision.net/non-typical.html

Last edited by MallardAddict; 05/08/19.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Look at the Templar VII....split picatinny, 20 moa(open top) machined in, no bolt on rail.

If you go Templar Hunter, it comes with 8X40.

Trigger Tech Diamond is the trigger I'd go with.

If your target weight is nine pounds all up, you may have to go lighter on the barrel contour.

I"m not opposed to the Templar Hunter II...just wasn't sure I needed it. Seems kind of...permanent! Copy on the barrel contour though...that's my primary design constraint. I'd rather sacrifice a little weight than go heaver than a #4; that's practically a Varmint contour when finished to 20-21".

Chris
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sambo3006
I'd take any and all advice that scenarshooter has. I'll just add that I'd skip the PTG bottom metal. Too many reports of it not latching properly (although mine is fine so far).
You shouldn't have trouble shooting bug holes with any GAP chambering. Be sure to give us a report when you get it!

Okay, good information. I hadn't heard that. GAP acted like it was their preferred bottom metal for a BDL style setup. I was leaning toward the M4 originally.

Chris
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I’ll hunt with it almost entirely from enclosed blinds, elevated tripods, and climbing stands

Not a fan of DBM, as they handle for [bleep] in the woods...

I don't see a problem with DBM. The dang thing will be slung on your shoulder, thru the 'woods' on your strenuous journey to those blinds, stands and tripods. And if your going to take a shot, it will be in both hands, neither of which is close to that pesky, '[bleep]', hangie-down mag. So where is the 'handling' problem? And if it ain't gonna be slung, why bother with the expense of un-needed flushcups?

I just don't like it. I like the option of carrying the gun by the belly, and you just can't do that with an M5 type setup unless the mag isn't installed. Sometimes, it'll be slung, and that's why I like the flushcups. Sometimes, it'll have a sling on it, but I'll cradle it in my hand anyway. I like options. If I could find a trim, flush-mount DBM system (like on a Steyr), I'd be all in. Unfortunately, Badger's stuff is all gangly with it's mag release levers and what not. I have one, and I just don't care for it despite it being quality kit.

Chris
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All good choices, enjoy!! Good luck to you!

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Sounds a lot like a GAP Nontypical with a shorter barrel and a Manners upgrade.

http://www.gaprecision.net/non-typical.html

If the Gladius and the Non-Typical had a love child, this would be it. I'm essentially trying to bridge the gap (no pun intended) between the two, as I looked hard at both and decided what I really wanted was in between. GAP can't stray much from either design and still call it one or the other (the receivers are stamped), so this winds up being a custom build for that reason. I could probably chop the barrel on the nontypical and upgrade the stock and action, but I couldn't also increase its barrel contour. We're getting at the same end state.

Chris
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JPro
He said 9lbs before optics. A factory LTR won't break that ceiling and it's a 20" fluted Rem Varm contour.

I really like the concept the OP outlines and see much merit in a mag-sporter+ .308win with a 21" tube. I once had a 700 with a #4 .223 barrel at 21" and it balanced well in a heavy factory laminate. The flutes and .30cal bore are going to take weight off, so this one would likely balance okay in a lightweight handle, maybe better in a standard-fill fiberglass stock. I'd imagine he's looking at something around a .700-.725" muzzle, plus or minus?

You're not wrong about the LTR...or the 20" 5R. But, they're factory rifles at the end of the day, and I've been unimpressed with the QC on the last couple of Remington specimens I've spent time with. I do have a 5R that shoots lights out, and I thought about just sending that action in, having it trued, and just replacing everything around it. However, I really like the Templar action, and I think I'd like to own a custom after all these years.

You make a great point about the stock/barrel combo, and I'm a little worried about that. I'm afraid that with a carbon stock the #4 contour (even finished to 20") would be a little front heavy. I was hoping that the #3B might work better (fluted) for balance at 20-21". I'm not sure how to know without rolling the dice...

Chris
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
For bottom metal here is something new I just found on another website.......
https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/our-new-bdl-dbm-for-m700-sas.6941844/#post-7719868

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Very cool.

Another option would be the flush mag for apa dbm by Curtis Customs mentioned in this thread ...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13783511/1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
For bottom metal here is something new I just found on another website.......
https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/our-new-bdl-dbm-for-m700-sas.6941844/#post-7719868

Is that a flush mag installed, and it also accepts AI format mags?

Chris
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I believe so...it seems to offer a lot of options, waiting to see actual pricing!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a rifle similar to what you're thinking that weighs in at 9# 15oz... here's the specs... built by GA Precision...

Templar V1 short action
Bartlein #3 at 20" in 308win
Manners EH6 with PTG bdl style bottom metal
Nightforce 3.5-15x50
Seekins rings

It's a very nice handling rifle... and shoots very well...

Public landowner...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd be interested in feedback on a rifle I'm having GA Precision put together. I've owned lots of rifles, but this will be my first foray into a custom build. It's driven by my inability to get exactly what I want over-the-counter...I'm sure some of you can relate. This will be a deer rifle first and foremost--primarily used in the mixed hardwood bottoms and open fields of south-central Georgia. I’ll hunt with it almost entirely from enclosed blinds, elevated tripods, and climbing stands, so short and compact with good balance is a must. I’ve learned the expensive way that unnecessary weight and poor handling are not the way I want to go, so I’m looking for that elusive compromise between good handling and stability. This rifle will never be carried a long distance, so heaver than sporter weight is fine. I want a rifle I can practice with out to 600, but my hunting shots will be limited to 300-400 yards. The rifle should be legitimately capabile of 0.5 MOA or better, as I'm a handloader, and I like cutting tiny clusters on paper when I'm not hunting. On the bench, I’ll generally shoot off an Atlas bipod because I find it more stable than a traditional front rest. Here's what I'm thinking:

- #4 or #3B Bartlein contour fluted (cuz I like it) that finishes at 20-21” with a recessed target crown.

- Barrel should be threaded so that I can add a Surefire muzzle brake (later, if I choose).

- Caliber is 308 Winchester. Why? Because I find it stupid easy to load for, and I'm heavily invested in that caliber. Barrel life is forever, downrange energy is good for hunting, and it does well in a short barrel. As for twist rate, either 1:10 or 1:11.25...I generally shoot 165-168s and long 175-178s (e.g. Game Changers, Accubond LR). I want to be able to shoot all the 175-178s up to 185 Juggernauts without worrying about stability under ANY conditions (keep in mind, 20-21" barrel and hot, humid, sea-level). I'm leaning toward 1:10, but tell me if I'm wrong.

- GAP Templar Hunter action (allows top-loading) and PTG Short Action Oberndorf or Badger M4 bottom metal. Not a fan of DBM, as they handle for [bleep] in the woods...

- Manners EH6 (carbon fiber) with a 1” Pachmeyer Decelerator pad. I could be talked into another stock (like the EH-2 or EH-4) if the EH-6 forearm can't accomodate a bipod rail. I think the EH-1 is too bulky for what I'm trying to do here.

- Drilled and tapped 8x40 for a 20 MOA picatinny rail. Scope will likely be a VX-6HD 2-12x42, as I can get it very low, and I'm not sure you can get better optics for the weight. I like the NF 4-16x42 F1, but it's HEAVY, and I don't need it for this gun.

- Two sling studs up front to accomodate the picatinny rail, but likely flush cups elsewhere.

- Probably a Timney Calvin Elite or Jewel trigger. Would love the bolt to lock when safety is engaged (if possible).

- If I could keep it close to (or under) 9 pounds before optics, I’d be a happy camper!

Balance, weight, and handling are "king," but tell me what I'm not thinking about! Honestly, the only other caliber I'd consider is 7mm-08, and I like the downrange energy of the .308 at the ranges I'll be shooting. I'm in a trophy club with strict rules/fines, so you really can't shoot 'em any further than you can field score them. Because of this, hunting shots beyond 300-400 just aren't in the cards for this gun. For mountain hunting, long range, and other specialty situations I have other rifles. I plan to go with GAP becuase of their reputation and because their customer service is top notch. I know there are other smiths out there that build excellent rifles, but I think I'm settled on GAP.

Thank you!

Scratch that itch!! That'll be a dandy, even in 308!! 😀

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Thank you!

HILARIOUS!

Hint...……………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,415
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.