Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cinch
I have a rifle similar to what you're thinking that weighs in at 9# 15oz... here's the specs... built by GA Precision...

Templar V1 short action
Bartlein #3 at 20" in 308win
Manners EH6 with PTG bdl style bottom metal
Nightforce 3.5-15x50
Seekins rings

It's a very nice handling rifle... and shoots very well...

That’s almost identical. Would you mind posting or sending photos? If you had gone with a 3B or 4 contour, how do you think it would have effected the balance?

Chris
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a bat machine vr pic action, machined in pic rail and recoil lug. I personally think the solid top machined in pic rail across the top of the action adds a huge amount of stiffness to the action. I feel this makes a noticeable difference. It’s also a slick way of the having no extra parts. I have no issues top loading or unloading this action. Defiance makes a very similar action, and they also make an action that has a thinned out machined in rail over the cutout. I would first get their version of action that us similar to mine if you still insit on action cut out size and are worried about it. I bet gap could get one of those defiance actions like I describe. I hadn’t looked at defiance stuff in a while imo it looks have options for anything a guy could want. Wanna know a custom action company that fell,off the map? Surgeon wtf happened to them

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Very cool.

Another option would be the flush mag for apa dbm by Curtis Customs mentioned in this thread ...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13783511/1

The Curtis Customs looks pretty sweet. I need to get one on the way.

A cost effective option for a lower profile mag (but not completely flush fit), is Ruger's polymer 3-round mag. It extends a tad but you can still carry with your hand under the action.

http://shopruger.com/AI-Style-Polymer-308-Win-3-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90560/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're stuck on using a BDL bottom metal I would look into the Hawkins Precision model.

https://hawkinsprecision.com/bottom-metal/

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
3B and 4 are stout barrels. A #3 is plenty, 3B max.

BTW, I have ordered the parts and now playing the waiting game for essentially the same blueprint and for the same purposes. I went with a #3 after mulling over it and the 3B for a while. Beanland is building mine. I agree with you on the BDL bottom, I went with Hawkins BDL.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can like everything about that setup - though while I like a wee chunkier barrel, a #3 Bartlein (3 not 3B) is about perfection from where I'm seated in the peanut gallery. smile But you've only got to please you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by richardca99
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by richardca99
I’ll hunt with it almost entirely from enclosed blinds, elevated tripods, and climbing stands

Not a fan of DBM, as they handle for [bleep] in the woods...

I don't see a problem with DBM. The dang thing will be slung on your shoulder, thru the 'woods' on your strenuous journey to those blinds, stands and tripods. And if your going to take a shot, it will be in both hands, neither of which is close to that pesky, '[bleep]', hangie-down mag. So where is the 'handling' problem? And if it ain't gonna be slung, why bother with the expense of un-needed flushcups?

I just don't like it. I like the option of carrying the gun by the belly, and you just can't do that with an M5 type setup unless the mag isn't installed. Sometimes, it'll be slung, and that's why I like the flushcups. Sometimes, it'll have a sling on it, but I'll cradle it in my hand anyway. I like options. If I could find a trim, flush-mount DBM system (like on a Steyr), I'd be all in. Unfortunately, Badger's stuff is all gangly with it's mag release levers and what not. I have one, and I just don't care for it despite it being quality kit.

I carry my rifles in my hand as much as on my shoulder, and have never had an issue with a DBM system. The balance point is always right in front of the guard screw, never behind it.

As far as PT&G hinged floorplate vs Badger M4, there is no comparison in quality. Badger wins hands down.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer a Stealth DBM for carry and everything else.

Hint...………...

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My non-typical; fluted barrel and brake:
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Pat, you've got to remember we're in the south. We're rednecks. A smooth belly is much more convenient to lay on the hood of the truck or the roof of the SxS.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gies340
[Linked Image]

Nice! I did a T&E for GAP on that platform, years ago in a .300WSM. A real hammer!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Gies340
[Linked Image]

Nice! I did a T&E for GAP on that platform, years ago in a .300WSM. A real hammer!

As an all arounder it’s probably one of the most well thought out rifles. I absolutely loved mine but rifle add got me

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
#3 bart is plenty of meat for a carry huntin rifle. Hawkins is king for BDL, but having one and thinking of a new build I would go DBM all the way. Slap in a flush mag if I felt the need.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Friends, Scenarshooter (my buddy Pat) is without a doubt the most knowledgeable hunter and shooter (there IS a difference) that I've ever known.

I can remember he two of us crawling side-by-side through a patch of insufferable prickly-pear cactus and getting within range of my .280 Ackley. Pat was by my side all the way and this particular hunt was one of the finest in my loooong hunting career.

When Pat speaks, I listen … closely. And I'd recommend that all of you do too.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a rather Halibut-esque Blueprint.

While I love Marty,I don't much care for his alloy M4's.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Friends, Scenarshooter (my buddy Pat) is without a doubt the most knowledgeable hunter and shooter (there IS a difference) that I've ever known.

I can remember he two of us crawling side-by-side through a patch of insufferable prickly-pear cactus and getting within range of my .280 Ackley. Pat was by my side all the way and this particular hunt was one of the finest in my loooong hunting career.

Blessings,

Steve

Gracious words my friend...thanks, and likewise.

I can't believe that antelope hunt was 22 years ago. Helluva buck! I've got a picture somewhere....

[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Blessings,

Steve

Gracious words my friend...thanks, and likewise.

I can't believe that antelope hunt was 22 years ago. Helluva buck! I've got a picture somewhere....

To have friends the caliber of you two is what every good man I know strives for. I’ve tons of buddies but only about two or three that are lifers. Brothers are a blessing.
Find that picture pat I want visual.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
It's a rather Halibut-esque Blueprint.

While I love Marty,I don't much care for his alloy M4's.

Hint..................

Noone cares....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I think this was 1997.

Classic spot and stalk antelope hunt. Steve's wife, Karen got a nice one on the same hunt...I'll see if I can locate that picture.

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice heavy buck!! Grats

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

730 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 3,075 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,922
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.