Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

At least one poster here lives very close to where this bear was killed. Seems later than last year.
They say it is trash and birdseed driving the conflicts... I disagree. Too many bears without any aggressive plan or system to keep them wild.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/S...-killed-by-ADFG-this-year-509651151.html

South Anchorage brown bear first killed by Fish & Game this year

file Grizzly
By Grant Robinson | Posted: Wed 12:27 PM, May 08, 2019

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - State wildlife officials killed a young brown bear Monday night in the Huffman and Elmore neighborhood, marking the first agency kill in the Anchorage area this year.

Department of Fish and Game spokesperson Ken Marsh says the department had been receiving reports of the bear for several days that indicated it had become habituated to people. Reports suggested it was becoming aggressive and would refuse to run away from attempts to scare it out of the area. Marsh says the bear was a threat to public safety.

[RELATED: Anchorage Eyes trash ordinance to reduce bear conflict]

Marsh says the bear was likely 2 to 3 years old. Posts in a Facebook group for monitoring bears seen in Anchorage show a young bear in South Anchorage lunging under a guardrail toward a motorist who slowed down to look at it. Marsh says the bear killed is likely the same bear shown in the video.

Marsh says the most recent report of the bear was that it was attempting to break into a poultry pen.

The Department of Fish and Game says that unsecured trash and birdseed is the biggest driver of conflicts between bears and humans.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

They say it is trash and birdseed driving the conflicts... I disagree. Too many bears without any aggressive plan or system to keep them wild.

Yep. Similar to down here...

It has been proven that third year sows breed on the Kenai. Generation after generation of young sows and their cubs migrating out of big boar ranges have moved into areas close to towns for protection. In the last few years, even large boars have been hit by cars and or taken out by ADF&G or local police departments, a rather definite sign of advancing populations. Overly late for much other than DLP management principals? Very likely..

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

It has been proven that third year sows breed on the Kenai. Generation after generation of young sows and their cubs migrating out of big boar ranges have moved into areas close to towns for protection. In the last few years, even large boars have been hit by cars and or taken out by ADF&G or local police departments, a rather definite sign of advancing populations. Overly late for much other than DLP management principals? Very likely..

And the fact the bear bio did not want his pets killed for a very long time... and used fantasy biology to count them.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We've got a 4 year old running around the place now, and I can't see giving a bear more than one chance to get scared of people.
Might get a paintball gun for that first time warning shot though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was close to shooting a black bear or two last year. If they are skittish and you only see them late and night or early in the morning I'm ok with them. When they are roming around mid day and could care less about your presence, it's time for DLP. Not sure if a neighbor might not have taken care of the issue.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
We've got a 4 year old running around the place now, and I can't see giving a bear more than one chance to get scared of people.
Might get a paintball gun for that first time warning shot though.

Your bear may be gone... Huffman and Elmore... not far for a wandering brown bear.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was talking about a 4 year old kid:)

We get more than our share (of bears), for sure. Chicken coop isn't helping with that, but since we electrified it bear losses are way down.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

And the fact the bear bio did not want his pets killed for a very long time... and used fantasy biology to count them.

LOL!

We ain't got no steenking bear bio!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
I was talking about a 4 year old kid:)

We get more than our share (of bears), for sure. Chicken coop isn't helping with that, but since we electrified it bear losses are way down.

OOOpppppppsssssssssssss...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

LOL!

We ain't got no steenking bear bio!

Someone there was lyin' about bear pops...

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
In fact, when the refuge did their bear-DNA study to guess at population numbers, not only was F&G’s bear bio not part of the study group, it was run by a bird bio.

Kinda like going to a gynecologist for a toothache.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
well at my place this year in Minnesota for black bear problems again this year, i put up a electric white horse tape fence and my fencer and fence seem to be helping keep animals away even on deer too so far ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're everywhere now...……………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
In fact, when the refuge did their bear-DNA study to guess at population numbers, not only was F&G’s bear bio not part of the study group, it was run by a bird bio.

Unless the bear bio showed symptoms of bias or stupidity. Or both.

Would you rather go to a dentist for a cooter wart? wink

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Big Stick
They're everywhere now...……………..

Has been early here, too.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

My cooter is fine.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

My cooter is fine.

That was rhetorical, I say rhetorical son!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Pics, or it doesn't count.

(I better get another cup of coffee - or if the pics are forthcoming, some eye-bleach))

Last edited by las; 05/09/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Pics, or it doesn't count.

(I better get another cup of coffee - or if the pics are forthcoming, some eye-bleach))

That is clearly over the line... both the request and the production!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We usually have a few around our place but since we no longer leave the bird seed out and store our garbage can in the garage we have yet to see one. I know their out there though, seen tracks about a month ago in the snow in our backyard. They need a black bear hunting season and an increase in brown bear tags.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 3,219 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.