Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Has anyone placed game cameras on public land? Were they stolen, messed with or left alone? It was years ago when I called the Forest Service and they were fine it as long as my contact info. was readily visible on the camera. Elk move around so much I don't think they'd be overly useful for a fall hunt, but it might be interesting to see how big some of the bulls are...if the camera captures any.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't use them personally but I've seen a few on public land. Never crossed my mind to mess with one.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have seen a few , but always figured it was laziness or lack of knowledge by the person on how to find elk

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of the public land hunters that I know who use them are deer hunters. Most of those are whitetail hunters, although a few of the local ranchers I know use them to help pattern big mule deer. I do know a couple of bow hunters who use them for elk, and they seem to be useful for those who sit on water sources or heavily used trails. I think that there are so many elk hunters afield during rifle seasons that they are minimally useful, if at all.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've come across a few over the years in the elk mountains.

I like to give the owner a gift, show them my ass crack and dirty dance in front of them for a while.

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We put ours out on old crossings and water sources for mule deer and elk and pull them in the last day to see what we might have missed. We really don’t use them for hunting info..

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It depends..... when I find them in Wisconsin... And I see a lot of them.

If I see one, and it is strapped to the tree and nothing is disturbed... I'm cool with it.... I leave it alone...

If I see one over a bear bait, I leave it alone. Baiting bear is legal… I'm cool with that.

But, If on Public land, if I find some AZZBAG has one screwed to a tree... with shooting lanes cut and tree branches cut for a stand tree and the like... I take out the SD card and batteries and cut the strap or tie a knot in the strap so tight that he has to cut the strap.

If I find one over a bait pile on public land, (It's illegal to bait here) I take the SD card, batteries and I may smash the camera on the tree.

The new ones are so cool.... they have cell phone connections to them. so the owner will get a picture of me on his phone when I find his camera. .. .

I never see them in the elk woods when I am out west....

Last edited by mikieb; 05/10/19. Reason: poor spelling from a public school education

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I like to give the owner a gift, show them my ass crack and dirty dance in front of them for a while.

I may have photos of you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dye7barrel

I may have photos of you.

From Wyoming? Sweet.

Post my skillz.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

They tend to disappear.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would you leave your rifle leaning against a tree in hopes that it will be there for your next hunt. Abandoning stuff on public land is just asking for it to be removed. An acquaintance of mine lost a couple of cameras on public land and had some USFS stickers made to put on his cameras and so far has been left alone.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mikieb

If I see one, and it is strapped to the tree and nothing is disturbed... I'm cool with it.... I leave it alone...

If I see one over a bear bait, I leave it alone. Baiting bear is legal… I'm cool with that.

But, If on Public land, if I find some AZZBAG has one screwed to a tree... with shooting lanes cut and tree branches cut for a stand tree and the like... I take out the SD card and batteries and cut the strap or tie a knot in the strap so tight that he has to cut the strap.

If I find one over a bait pile on public land, (It's illegal to bait here) I take the SD card, batteries and I may smash the camera on the tree.

The new ones are so cool.... they have cell phone connections to them. so the owner will get a picture of me on his phone when I find his camera. .. .

Just what the world needs, another wanna be enforcer...One COULD report them, and have a chance at the owner being caught.... nope...lets just do whatever we want and steal while we are at it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
One place where I elk hunt it is the fish and wildlife department that have the most game cameras out and it's not to watch game.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Roas495 :Just what the world needs, another wanna be enforcer...One COULD report them, and have a chance at the owner being caught.... nope...lets just do whatever we want and steal while we are at it.

I hear you... I understand what you are saying... And.... YOU are right. The world dose not need another rule enforcer...

I see a lot of these cameras on public land near my house, and I don't see a problem with it at all.

However, I have not been checked by a Game Warden in Wisconsin in the last 8 or 9 years... Game wardens are just not on the landscape. And when they are... they have bigger problems to tackle.... You are just not going to get any kind of law enforcement action of any kind for someone, on public land, who cuts shooting lanes, dumps bait, and damages trees for "their spot" . Public land needs to be respected because you are not the only one using it, and, it's not just yours.

By the way... I have an ice cream pail half full of AA batteries and 3/4 coffee cup full of SD cards....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I leave my camera on public land. If I catch some azzhole fucquing with my sheit he'll have his hands full, same as he would if he fucqued with my truck or my campsite. If it's not yours, keep your hands off it, it dont belong to you.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RMiller2
One place where I elk hunt it is the fish and wildlife department that have the most game cameras out and it's not to watch game.

I once worked on an RMEF project to fence off "sensitive riparian elk wintering grounds" from what was thought to be ATV riders tearing up the banks of a creek. The DOW hung some trail cameras and found it it was mountain bikers.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I leave my camera on public land. If I catch some azzhole fucquing with my sheit he'll have his hands full, same as he would if he fucqued with my truck or my campsite. If it's not yours, keep your hands off it, it dont belong to you.

I don't use cameras but I'm with you on that.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

You should probably have your ass kicked for doing chit like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i hang cameras all year around on public land. don't use them so much to hunt but to monitor the health and numbers of the wildlife that affect me. like wolves, cats, bears, and coyotes.
last couple years its been predators out numbering the game.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if it aint yours do not fugg with it

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ya, it’s liable to catch up with him.

A guy took a pretty good beating a couple years ago in one of our premier elk units a few years ago for messing with a guys camera. Those two are still battening to this day.

Originally Posted by chesterwy
You should probably have your ass kicked for doing chit like that.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
In my neck of the woods, some azzhat found busting up or stealing someone else’s cameras, stands , or other gear would be lucky to be in the care of a hospital instead of chained to a tree for bear bait. Don’t fugg with what’s not yours....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My use of game cameras on public land is not for elk hunting, but rather for bear baiting. Between my buddy's stand and then my bait stand last year, we never had any cameras stolen. Some guys about two miles from us did have their cameras stolen and others caught people putting bleach in the barrels last spring. Since it's illegal to mess with someone else's bear bait in Alaska without permission, the most often thing I usually hear about or see online, is "Does anyone know these people"?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Improving your skill sets?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by erich
Would you leave your rifle leaning against a tree in hopes that it will be there for your next hunt. Abandoning stuff on public land is just asking for it to be removed. An acquaintance of mine lost a couple of cameras on public land and had some USFS stickers made to put on his cameras and so far has been left alone.

It's not abandoning anything. Is leaving your tent up when you go on a hunt abandonment? What about your truck? You left it on public property and walked away, must be free game. Oh, but you're coming back for it? Same with the game cams.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Vandalism or theft of another’s property is not defined by where said items were located. One could hardly argue for pressing theft of an item found alongside the road, etc. but property in place by the owner fulfilling its intended function is hardly abandonment of property. Whether or not the camera is there legally, it is not the function of bubba to enforce the rules; just like it is not up to the amateur bubba to take up game management outside of the regulations.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use them. Get a real kick out of seeing what is coming into my water hole. Gives me a reason to climb to the top of the mountain where my waterhole is located and get into shape before hunting season. Nobody has ever messed with them but they are not were many people are dumb enough to go.

FWIW: I put a note in the cameras with my name and a statement that says I have other cameras in the area and very likely have pictures of them.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by centershot; 06/17/19.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I keep 6-8 out on my ublic ground all year. Tell the usfs to take your id info and shove it. You have to be real close to a camera and KNOW its there to spot it. I dont put cams on paths that get travelled. I dont use them for hunting, just enjoy getting critter pics year round.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1WbYs6lDcY/?igshid=l95lfkf9hb9b

Last edited by snowwalker; 02/22/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've taken tens of thousands of photos over years and years with them, always on public land. Nobody ever messes with mine. Bears do, which is why I have a steel box on it. But, I never put it where it can be accessed without quite a hike, and never on a waterhole, and never on anything like a path. It's easier to find a 400 inch bull than a waterhole with no camera on it in AZ public land.

Recently had one out for 14 months. 800 bear pics and not a human being. This is no difficult thing.

If you hang cameras on water holes, they will be messed with. That simple. I enjoy mine so much I consider it the risk of loss a cost of doing business.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

I don't use cameras but I'm with you on that.

I dont use cameras either. I hunt the old fashioned way. I could care less if theres cameras in the trees.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
I havent used. But have no real problem with them, i would not be keen on having my picture on someones camera, likely remove it or the card for that reason alone. With that being said, if you don't want someone to [bleep] with your [bleep], don't leave it on public property, if its gone dont complain. Your pickup truck in the parking lot isn't taking pictures. if it was i would [bleep] it up as well. World is full of gawdam cameras, don't need em in the frikkin woods.

Last edited by johnn; 03/08/20.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnn
I havent used. But have no real problem with them, i would not be keen on having my picture on someones camera, likely remove it or the card for that reason alone. With that being said, if you don't want someone to [bleep] with your [bleep], don't leave it on public property, if its gone dont complain. Your pickup truck in the parking lot isn't taking pictures. if it was i would [bleep] it up as well. World is full of gawdam cameras, don't need em in the frikkin woods.

Was that you beating off on camera?

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah I've seen them. That's why I took to carrying a can of black spray paint. grin

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J

Nah.... I did that on your truck door handle..

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nah.... I did that on your truck door handle..

And he thought was Dukes.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Yeah I've seen them. That's why I took to carrying a can of black spray paint. grin

Hey, I had some over there. I like taking pics of jackrabbits.... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Roas495 :Just what the world needs, another wanna be enforcer...One COULD report them, and have a chance at the owner being caught.... nope...lets just do whatever we want and steal while we are at it.

I hear you... I understand what you are saying... And.... YOU are right. The world dose not need another rule enforcer...

I see a lot of these cameras on public land near my house, and I don't see a problem with it at all.

However, I have not been checked by a Game Warden in Wisconsin in the last 8 or 9 years... Game wardens are just not on the landscape. And when they are... they have bigger problems to tackle.... You are just not going to get any kind of law enforcement action of any kind for someone, on public land, who cuts shooting lanes, dumps bait, and damages trees for "their spot" . Public land needs to be respected because you are not the only one using it, and, it's not just yours.

By the way... I have an ice cream pail half full of AA batteries and 3/4 coffee cup full of SD cards....

Im thinking if you think that cutting some limbs off a tree or even cutting a tree is a big deal, then rock on with your thoughts, you and I read different books. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.