Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Have been checking out these shotguns at Hill's in Montana... Some things I am not sure about.. I know someone will have answers.. I am looking at 2 3/4 " guns, but a couple 3" guns caught my eye.. I mostly shoot 2 3/4 in shells out of my 3" guns... Any problem you can see with this if I picked up a 3" double.. I have heard they are regulated for a specific load..
Next, they mentioned several guns were sleeved, I assume some liner.. Why would this be done? Finally they had several damascus barreled guns that were nitro proof.. I assume I can shoot modern ammo in them... Thanks..

Molon Labe
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
When you refer to 3 inch guns, are you speaking of 12 gauge or 20 gauge?

Most English shotguns that have been resleeved were done so to change from black powder-proofed barrels to nitro-proofed barrels, generally a change from damascus steel to fluid steel.

While sleeved barrels are stronger for modern loads, the "improvement" generally reduces the value of the gun below the same weapon prior to sleeving if the original barrels were still in proof and good condition.

Charlie at Hill is one of the most trustworthy smokepole merchants I've ever met. He won't BS you. Ask questions and expect an honest answer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sleeving can be a liner from say 12ga to 16ga but generally the barrels a cut off ahead of the chambers, the chambers reamed and a whole new barrel is inserted into the enlarged chamber, regulated and ribs reattached, if the job is done well the joint is almost invisible, sometimes you will see a ring of engraving to cover the joint.

As far as shooting modern shells, you are still shooting a shotgun usually at least a half century old and a heavy load in the US was 1 1/4 oz. In a fine old sxs I'd still use low pressure loads just in respect of the old wood. Even hunting wild pheasants and ducks I've never needed more than an ounce of shot at 1150-1200 fps. I dearly miss the B&P High Pheasant loads. RST has a fine selection of low pressure hunting ammo. Just because a Walmart shell has low brass and an ounce of shot does not mean it is low pressure, remember most modern shotshell ammo is expected to reliably function all manner of semi-auto shotguns.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
British shell service pressures are generally much lower than standard modern American shotshell loads. That raises two issues: (i) the gun will wear more quickly than you might like, particularly if you have one that already shows some wear (such as coming off the face); and (ii) there's a good chance you'll beat the stock to death at the points of contact with the action. Restocking a nice British gun is not cheap.

That being said, there are a number of 2-3/4 inch reload recipes that keep pressures down where they ought to be for British service pressures (roughly 8500 psi). I shoot a number of British 12 gauge guns using 7/8 ounce of shot and a Clays recipe from the reloading manual. Most of my shooting is done at skeet and these loads at around 1200 fps (and 6500 psi) break every bird at which they're correctly pointed (operator error remains an issue from time to time). There are plenty of 1 ounce and 1-1/8 ounce loads that will stay in the safe range. Check the manuals.

For factory loads, RST is wonderful. Experiencia shells in 67mm length will also work very nicely (I have a couple of 2-1/2 inch chambered guns in which I use these) and are available at shellsrusllc.com. The last flats I bought were $70.00 per flat, plus shipping. The hulls are Cheddite style and reloadable, although you'll need a "short kit" for your MEC and the correct wads and primers (Ballistic Products is a viable source for both).

Charlie is a great guy to deal with. I heartily recommend him.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Thank you very much.. This is very helpful.. Not sure what path I will follow here.. I have shot a lot of RST loads in my modern pumps.. I really like them..

Grouse, the 3 " gun I looked most at was not English, but a Parker.. Always wanted one of those...

Molon Labe
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

621 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 67 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,917
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.