Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by nealglen37
As an outdoorsman I am leaning towards New Mexico or Wyoming? Any thoughts?

As a rancher in NM told me, “it may be new, but its still Mexico”.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
OK (I live here now), TX, TN, SD, MT, AZ, among others...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Michigan, to be more precise, Drummond Island.

Although Kentucky wouldn't be bad. I could by that place next to Bristoe and he could finally skinny dip in the pond.....
Love michigan but the stinking roads and high cost of car insurance makes me want to leave.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am going to carry on right here on the lake, ash's on the trapline!

I tend to use more than enough gun
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I guess since I am already retired and the grands are here, we are staying. Only state I would move to would be LA, love to catch seaport and flounder.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I grew up in NM till I went into the Marines. My mother still lives there but there's no way I could live there. It's as blue as they come with some sanctuary cities. Consistently votes democrat. How can they expect things to get any better? Crime is out of control. Alaska is an expensive place to live, so unless you are used to that it's expensive. When I decided, I figured I'd like to stay in the west. I eliminated, Washington, Oregon, California, NM, Colorado, and ended up moving to Idaho. I think it's as good as any place in the west. Between your two choices I'd have to say Wyoming. If you are a liberal I'd say Idaho is full.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As an outdoorsman I am leaning towards New Mexico or Wyoming? Any thoughts?

best one is the state of contentment!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hands down Wyoming.
Reddest western state.
Raw, rugged beauty.
No state income tax.
Ultra gun and hunting friendly.

Proud NRA Life Member
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve been in love with Alaska since I was a little boy and with the good Lords help I’ll be up there more in the near future. We bought property to build our early retirement place up north and that’s where I hope to have my carcass scattered when that day comes. Between now and whenever that day may be I plan to live and enjoy life, wherever I am because as long as, I have my family with me I’m home. Ultimately though when the kids are gone we’ll spend more time fishing and hunting and staring at a fire up north and when not doing that we’ll likely travel a bit more during the winter. I look forward to the time and adventures I’ll share with my wife. We spend a lot of time with the kids and their academic, leadership and athletic activities and it’s proven to be time well spent but it’ll be fun being newlyweds again.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
In twenty years there are only going to be a few states where a caucasian male can live without being harassed and taxed to death. Those, in my opinion, are going to be Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, South Dakota, Idaho (maybe), and Wyoming. The rest are going to be infested with leftism.

I love elk too, but I'm not going to live under a terrorist lefty government to get to see them. I'll sneak into enemy territory every now and then to chase them then I'll scurry back to where it's safe.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
In twenty years there are only going to be a few states where a caucasian male can live without being harassed and taxed to death. Those, in my opinion, are going to be Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, South Dakota, Idaho, and Wyoming. The rest are going to be infested with leftism.

Add North Dakota to that list and I totally agree. Lot of kookafornians moving into TN though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Altered.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm moving to South Dakota. Wife and I had this discussion just today. She said that she wasn't moving with me. Wont that be peaceful?

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
A Southern one

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wyoming is full up. Go east young man.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I want to split between Texas and Wyoming.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by drover
I'm thinking about living in the desert areas of NM or WY. I can tromp around in the desert in the winter, then drive 20 miles and be in the high country in the summertime. I like to get outside and amp, fish, hunt whenever possible.

I don't know where you live now or exactly what your expectations are but "tromping around the desert" in the winter in either place is not really realistic, both can be too cold and windy to do much of what you are proposing. I am basing this on having spent quite a bit of time in winter in both areas. There is a reason that so many folks retire to Arizona.

My advice to anyone who is thinking of retiring to a different locale for retirement is to spend at least a year living there before buying and settling in permanently. Even a year can fool a person though, in 2017 we had about 3 ft of snow on the ground with continuous overcast and snow all winter, the last two winters we never had more than 4 inches and most of that was intermittent. Which was normal? - Neither, usually it is somewhere in between the two extremes.

I have seen quite a few folks move to this area based on their summertime experiences here, when winter came they found out it was a whole different ball game.

Another thing to keep in mind is your health - once you get away from major metropolitan areas health care becomes a real issue.

Just some things for you to think about when you picking out your place of dreams.

drover

difference between northern arizona and northern new mexico?
edited to add N.M. politics are screwed up, it's a blue state in a lot of ways.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/10/19.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Mississippi.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm at ground zero of my cultural comfort zone. There's no place better than the Bluegrass region of Kentucky.

It's fairly reasonable to live here, but I'd pay a premium for it if I had to.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Retired and happily bouncing between the Texas hill country and far north Idaho.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 44 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.