Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Looking to shoot .22 rimfire a bit more accurately - probably 50 yards on average with 100 yards being a bonus. I already have an old birch-stocked 10/22.

Thinking some options are:

- upgrade my 10/22
- CZ bolt action
- Ruger American rimfire

Suggestions on where my money might be best spent?

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I would get the CZ.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CZ would be my LAST "choice"...mainly because I shoot 'em all.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Be sure and upgrade your ammo if you haven’t already done so.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
CZ or Tikka T-1X, either will be good and will fit your price range. If you are a wood and blued metal guy that likes tradtional styling then the CZ, if you are into more modern styling then the Tikka T-1X.

The Tikka T-1X really impressed me with its out of the box accuracy.

The Ruger American Rimfire failed to impress me, I tried two in 22 l.r. and 50 yd groups ran from around and inch to 1-1/4".

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There is a Tikka Tx1 for sale in the classifieds now. Maybe the best for dollars spent in a bolt action rifle. Tikka’s are normally boringly accurate. Good ammo helps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For that money, I would start searching for a Winchester 75 Target. Hopefully a later model with the grooved receiver and swept back bolt so you can mount a scope easily. If you're patient you should be able to find one in our price range and it should shoot better than any of the other units you mentioned once you find the ammo it likes. My 69A (same action) and 75's all seem to dote on SK Standard Plus, but you'll only know if you experiment a bit.

Another one to keep an eye out for is an early Remington 513T. Great shooters, but not great triggers. At least the Winchesters have adjustable triggers on them, not sure you can adjust the Remington down to a reasonable amount, but there is always a way or a spring kit you can get to reduce the trigger pull....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If Kerri wasn’t cut from posting she could tell you

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Sheister
For that money, I would start searching for a Winchester 75 Target. Hopefully a later model with the grooved receiver and swept back bolt so you can mount a scope easily. If you're patient you should be able to find one in our price range and it should shoot better than any of the other units you mentioned once you find the ammo it likes. My 69A (same action) and 75's all seem to dote on SK Standard Plus, but you'll only know if you experiment a bit.

Another one to keep an eye out for is an early Remington 513T. Great shooters, but not great triggers. At least the Winchesters have adjustable triggers on them, not sure you can adjust the Remington down to a reasonable amount, but there is always a way or a spring kit you can get to reduce the trigger pull....

Bob

LOL. Bob you find any trails blazed lately. 🤣😂🤣

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LUCKILY Imagination and Pretend are free,so Brokedicks can "afford" to "contribute". Congratulations?!?

Ooooooopsie!

[Linked Image]

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
If say CZ over RAR, a nice 10-22 could be done for $500 too.
I also have found the Remington 581s and 582s to be very accurate and affordable. You could add a good scope to one and still be under $500.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hint.............

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The Savage thumb hole model is nice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hint...............

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well you could spend the $500 on a 10/22 and perhaps it would work and shoot well. To me odds are much better with a CZ 452 or 455. Used they will leave a bit for a scope and rings. Don't know the Tikka rimfire, but Tikka's in general are very accurate.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Didn't mention it, but I already have a Bushnell 4200 that I plan to use.

Admit that I like the idea of getting a completely different rifle, plus I like the idea of having a bolt action 22.

Sounds like the CZ or Tikka might be the best and easiest way to get going with this - CZ for wood, Tikka for synthetic.

Appreciate the help.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
LGS had a new 455 American with honest walnut for $369 the other day, just to give you an idea. Bore and crown looked very good to me. I was tempted. Bought a .45 instead.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Look around, $450 landed me this Anshutz and vintage Redfield scope at a local pawn shop earlier this year. I sold the scope for $125 and ended up with an extremely accurate (Aquila Pistol Match) rifle cheap.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Nice grab EdM!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep an Annie for $450.. Nice. My last buy was a CMP Kimber 82G, but a bit above the $500 from the OP. With ammo it likes it will do 10 in less than 1/2" at 50 so happy with that. Also have a CZ 452, it will do close to that, I think they are about the best out of the box 22LR for the money.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
As far as used rifles it has been mentioned the Remington 581/582 is a VERY good choice- the KSA-22 is a Really nice rifle for the price and also very accurate.
With either one of these rifles U will have enough $$$$$ left for a Scope and possibly some ammo

God Luck

Jim

"2Day is the 1st Day of the rest of UR Life"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Find a good used CZ 452

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CZ

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I've got a 582 that's mediocre with cheap bullets. I gave about $250 for it, nice finish but the stock was a disaster and I re-finished it, Maple. Wouldn't say bad though but I haven't tried Wolf or Club in it yet. I picked up a 513T for less than $500 that needed a lot of cosmetic work and I got it working for not much more than the redfield inserts and some hand work on it. I got the trigger down to 3 1/2 lbs, but it's still not a nice trigger. The stock is beautiful zebra stripe though after I put tung oil on it. I picked up a new Savage BVTSS for about $300 and it's not bad but still not broken in. Not quite up to the 513T though, except for the real nice accutrigger. If I did the Savage MKII again, I'd get the cheapest synthetic stocked one and try to improve it. Never had a CZ, Annie, Tika or Kimber but thought about them. If I saw one for $450 I'd probably buy one. A real shooter is an obsession and you'll be chasing it for a while if you go down that hole. There's a fair amount to learn. I've got my 513T at consistant 3/8" max over 50 shots at 50 yds. Most of the others always open up to 3/4" with fliers with 50 shots, but plenty of near single hole stuff in between. With 100 yds, more velocity will help, but I've not had much luck with 100 yds.

The first BVTSS I got I had to send back, the bore looked like it had been tapped not lapped. They sent me a new one and it's much better.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I just got a CZ 457 Varmint and it shoots CCI SV into about .75 at 50yds for 10 shot groups. It shoots better than I do. Get the Talley rings for it.
PS I was tempted to get the TALO exclusive Ruger 10/22 #1235 with the checkered birch stock and light varmint barrel but am glad that I went with the CZ. It's classier and I need all the help that I can get. smile

Last edited by UPhiker; 05/12/19.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I consider a 3/4" group with 10 shots at 50 yds not very hot. It's got to stay under 1/2" for me to even consider it's going to work and then with about 50 shots. I've had plenty of 5 shot groups that stay next to each other, but the 15th one goes off to 3/4. Doesn't work in my book. But then I'm picky. I'm talking off a good bench and with a scope above 15-20 power. I've never found rings or mounts to add up to much unless the rifle is really that hot.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DogDave
I consider a 3/4" group with 10 shots at 50 yds not very hot. It's got to stay under 1/2" for me to even consider it's going to work and then with about 50 shots. I've had plenty of 5 shot groups that stay next to each other, but the 15th one goes off to 3/4. Doesn't work in my book. But then I'm picky. I'm talking off a good bench and with a scope above 15-20 power. I've never found rings or mounts to add up to much unless the rifle is really that hot.

My CZ 453 routinely shoots 5 shot groups right at .25 at 50 yards.

It really depends on what you want to do. Of your suggestions I would go with either the CZ or upgrade. You might go look at www.rimfirecentral.com or steel chickens site and find a target rifle of some sort for that money as well.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 05/12/19.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deer Turd
Looking to shoot .22 rimfire a bit more accurately - probably 50 yards on average with 100 yards being a bonus. I already have an old birch-stocked 10/22.

- upgrade my 10/22
- CZ bolt action
- Ruger American rimfire

A heavy barrel Savage will likely get done what you want it to for half the price. Buy a Savage for $250-$275 then a Ruger BX trigger and a good barrel with the remaining money.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've have or had all three. I put a kidd barrel and target stock on my standard 10/22. With factory trigger I'm getting .8in 10 shot groups @100. Eley tenex and Weaver v16. Shoots better than my cz455 american. My winchester 320 shoots better than my cz. Stock issues with my ruger american predator and I didn't feel like replacing it so got rid of it. 10/22 are just fun to mess with, finishing up one with a 16in GM sporter barrel, bedded the stock, went with a brimstone tier 2 trigger, volquartzen tune up kit and kidd charging assembly. I hope it shoots!

Last edited by killerv; 05/13/19.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

- upgrade my 10/22
- CZ bolt action
- Ruger American rimfire

CZ is hard to beat !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If I were limited to $500 for a rimfire rifle, I would buy the Tikka.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If limited to $500 I would start prowling the used market for a nicely maintained example of a rifle that started out as an $800 rifle a couple years ago. More bang for the buck than a new sub-$500 gun.

That said, the last .22 bolt gun sporter I bought was an old BRNO #2, unfired looking, for right at $500. The last .22 bolt gun of any type that I bought was another M2 Springfield, in righteous condition, for just a few bucks more- $700. The deals/bargains are out there if you have the nose to dig them out.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
When I recently went to the local Gun Store and asked for the most accuracy for .22 he pulled out a Ruger Precision.
I did not have the $400, only $300 of fun money.... but it ifit the criteria of being under $500
Is there a reason that has not been suggested?

We don't take friends camping... we MAKE friends camping!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd be shopping the used market and the collector gun shows or Gun Broker once you figure out what you are looking for. I grew up with a Winchester M62A pump, but always wanted an internal hammer M61 and found a nice one for that kind of money at a collector show.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want accuracy, the Remington 513T someone mentioned would be a good choice. I had one for a time and it was an incredible shooter. That’s the good news. The bad news is that it was real heavy, with that bull barrel (24 or 26 inch, I forget). Most recent 22 is a Tikka T1X, and it’s really accurate. And light and easy to handle. So glad I bought it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

If you like a sh*tload of cheesy plastic on a gun ,OK.

But the CZ 457 will shoot every bit as good in any caliber offered and for $20-40 less have a Walnut stock and virtually no plastic.

The CZs also have barrel & caiber interchangeability that the Tikka lacks.

Also , CZ is investing Millions of dollars in a new Arkansas plant.to employ hundreds more Americans.

Berretta / Tikka just want our $$$$$.

Last edited by jk16; 05/13/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CZ is a fhuqking joke.

Hint................

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jk16

But the CZ 457 will shoot every bit as good in any caliber offered and for $20-40 less have a Walnut stock and virtually no plastic.

Also , CZ is investing Millions of dollars in a new Arkansas plant.to employ hundreds more Americans.

Thanks for sharing.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Thanks for sharing.

No problem .Glad to help. wink

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have to say the 513T I have is actually the best shooting 22 I've got. The rounds go in the chamber tight and the bolt locks up fine and is not picky. The Savage MKII is close and may be able to do as good for $200 less, but looks like a race rifle, not a real rifle. The 513T is heavy metal, heavy stock and the biggest bugaboo is the trigger but if you can deal with that it's a real shooter. In the MKII the bullets are loose in the chamber, and you have to be careful about using the bolt, but the trigger is a wonder. I'm also not a fan of short barrels. I'm supposing the 513T would out-do the MKII because of the velocity at 100yds, but that's to be determined.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Thanks for sharing.

Good intentions, I'm sure but your execution was off.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've multiple Remmie 5XX's...the RAR crushes 'em mechanically.

I doubt I've chopped more than a few dozen 22LR barrels.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pass the increase in rigidity and muzzle velocity increase.

Hint...................

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Big Stick
CZ is a fhuqking joke.

Hint................

Then sell him one of your .22's for $500.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

- upgrade my 10/22
- CZ bolt action
- Ruger American rimfire

If it was mine, I'd do this with the $500:

$225 for a CPC full tune up.
$185 for a 24" GM stainless fluted sporter contour barrel.
$ 60 for an American style modular stock.
$ 25 for a high comb American style stock module.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
CZ is a fhuqking joke.

Hint................

Then sell him one of your .22's for $500.

kchunttwatt,

I don't sell...but simply shoot it all and then some.

Hint.....................

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Thanks for sharing.

Good intentions, I'm sure but your execution was off.

Not hardlly....:)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For the money out of the box, I would put my money on a CZ. Proven to me more than once. Money on 10/22 improvements, a custom gun, maybe, maybe not. Go over $500 then.........

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
...Not hardlly....:)

Which is exactly what I expected you would say. smile

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
...Not hardlly....:)

Which is exactly what I expected you would say. smile

I am just not into overpriced & overhyped foreign made Tupperware..

Sorry if that conflicts with your World view...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No conflict here. I simply said what I would buy if I had $500 to spend. I believe the CZ is a fine rifle too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CZ would be my LAST "choice"...mainly because I shoot 'em all.

Hint...............

On the other hand you would be everyone's last choice as a human.

Gnome!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Easy, CZ 457.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
18" S/S American. You bost the BEST magazine in the Industry and obviously the perks of S/S. Inclination is easily arranged and the triggers smoke ALL things CZ,with about 30 seconds of "work". 500 Clams will yield a NIB rifle,Boyd's handle and a 25 MOA 1913 extended rail. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nothing else begins to touch it,for the jingle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And CZ is simply fhuqking HILARIOUS in "comparison".

[Linked Image]

Pardon my shooting it all.

Hint................

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,705 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.