Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve noticed here for the last year plus some high quaility scopes and firearms that have had to be placed at “give-away” prices and still not sell. In addition, if folks are out of the “current market” price are they getting offers on their ads? I’ve got a couple pretty nice rifles I’m considering selling, but the current market seems like a tough one to sell in.

What are your opinions on this topic?

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put em' up for sale. Don't cost you nothing. Can't lose much that way!

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you price your items competitively relative to the current market your items will sell. No different than any other time,if you are looking for premium prices the fire is not the place.

guns to me are like legal crack
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Because people ask new prices for used stuff. It'll sell if priced right.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Market is "soft" everywhere. However, focusing just on this websites classifieds, poor pictures, too high of prices, and overall "saturated market" tends to slow things down a bit.

Not to mention every NEW thing is ON SALE in regards to guns, scopes, reloading, etc.

But, price it right and even these classifieds put out.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's a losing deal to sell "most" higher cost quality guns and scopes here on the fire. Occasionally something will sell for what it's worth, but it's rare for a higher cost item to do that.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No one knows what anything is worth after 8 years of clownery!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Because people are cheap.

Hey, just calling it like I see it!

Lots of folks are over-pricing things as well, here and elsewhere. But I have a number of items listed on other forums for WELL below retail, and they're not moving. Heck, I have a BNIB Geissele National Match AR trigger for $210 shipped, which is more than 25% off, and I still have a few folks pulling the lazy ol' "What's your lowest price?" That, or low-balling me ("I'll give you $160 right now."). I'm not giving my stuff away. People want it, they can pay a fair price. If they don't want it that bad, move on. That trigger runs $280 new plus shipping, but I guess $70 off isn't a deal anymore, go figure.

The market as a whole is pretty soft right now, unless you're selling something that was released in the past week. Then everybody and their dog has to have it, but once it passes two weeks old, nobody wants to touch it. laugh

Last edited by Basher; 05/11/19.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 303savage
If you price your items competitively relative to the current market your items will sell. No different than any other time,if you are looking for premium prices the fire is not the place.

This is my opinion, as well.
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I feel that after a certain threshold, items just lose a lot of potential buyers. I would put that value at $600. There could be a browning blr at 600$ (20% discount) that's worth $ 720 any day of the week but the Nikon scope at $ 144(20% discount) that's worth 180, will have more potential buyers . In theory, if something is at a good price, a member will collect enough money to warrant the higher cost. You just have to play the numbers game.

Last edited by Awsomepossum; 05/11/19.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by donsm70

donsm70

+1

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I agree with most of what has been said. The Fire seems to attract lower end offers then other sites, not to mention lots of hard talk and harassment you don’t get on sites that are moderated well. I have bought and sold a few things on the Fire but don’t need the drama that comes with hanging out here.

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by donsm70

donsm70

I agree to some extent, but I did see a nice rifle for sale the other week that was down to almost $2k (I think GA Precision) and it didn’t sell on site. A deal was cut, but in PM. That rifle was worth every penny of the first price reduction?

Also, do you think the future there will be no more private sales on gun classifieds sites? I could see that happening....

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by d500lnn

Also, do you think the future there will be no more private sales on gun classifieds sites? I could see that happening....

Sales have to go through an FFL (unless in one's own State) so I don't see how that can be regulated out. I can, however, see no private sales being allowed in the near future...I don't agree with it, but I see that happening.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I know high priced custom rifles aren’t bringing near as much these days. You used to have to spend 2-3 grand plus the initial cost on a rifle to get it to shoot like a $1599 fieldcraft, or worse yet, I bought a hells canyon speed that shoots every factory load I’ve tried under an inch with my two favorites at .4 and .6 every day with a little z3. I’m just a hunter, not some super long range guy but I can kill anything I need to with complete confidence to 500 yards with a 7lb gun. I tend to agree with some of the above posters that I am not interested in anybody’s used firearm for 100$ off what a new one cost. Optics don't seem quite so bad with pricing but I do laugh when I see a 20 yr old pair of swaros for 800 bucks. That garbage doesn’t draw my interest at all

Last edited by MRKbass; 05/11/19.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ken158
I agree with most of what has been said. The Fire seems to attract lower end offers then other sites, not to mention lots of hard talk and harassment you don’t get on sites that are moderated well. I have bought and sold a few things on the Fire but don’t need the drama that comes with hanging out here.

Spot on. Also seems that anything above the $6-700 dollar range has been very tough to move in the last 6 months. Funny that I see a lot of used guns in our local shops that get snatched up at near new retail prices - yet a private seller has to play give-away.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to find quality firearms in excellent condition usually move pretty fast if priced right.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The used market is extremely soft, as is the new market. Most items are over priced when you consider they are just that, used. Most guys price their stuff like it belonged to Elvis. I hate to point out a single ad, but right now there is a used Tikka T1 .22 rifle for $460 here. Bass Pro has them on sale new now for $469. Why would a guy pay $9 less, sight unseen, for a used one that he will probably have to pay additional to transfer through an FFL. Not trying to pick on the seller, but it's a great example. You drive it off the lot and it depreciates. Guys here like to experiment with guns, and then expect to get all their money out them. Just about anything you see used on here you can find in a search new for a bargain these days. Guns are not a great investment, and scopes are worse.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vanilla guns in vanilla calibers are not great investments.

guns to me are like legal crack
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Because people ask new prices for used stuff. It'll sell if priced right.

This. And the market is soft. Really soft.

Price it at what an equivalent item on eBay or gunbroker has actually sold for in the last six months, and it will usually sell. Not pie in the sky, been there for 18 months listings - but actual completed listings.

Heed the “I wouldn't sell mine for that” advice and - in the current market, more often than not - no, you won't, because somebody will go to gunbroker and buy one for 20% less ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
277 members (007FJ, 160user, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 1,970 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.