Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Too tried, and lazy tonight to post a couple of pictures. We dug out some rocks today just ahead of the sprayer.

Got rock?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Mountains of them.

We used to figure 5 dollars an acre to pick rock.

Probably more like 8 dollars now.

Chemfallow lessened that some....but we are doing more tillage now, especially with the organic and organic transition acres.

We have dug up rocks before with the excavator that we had to dig the hole deeper and bury them.

They were the size of Sam's next crew cab short box Ferd.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ever hear, "I can't dance, it's too wet to plow, too windy to pick up rocks""?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a kid, you could always find a job picking rock in these parts after school and on weekends.

In our front yard, we have a rock about the size of a large wash machine that my now deceased father-in-law dug out of one of his field's many years ago. After it sat in the weather and sun for 3 decades, it had some cool patina and a nice shape, so we hauled it home to make a fountain out of it. Got it drilled but not operational yet.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A couple of hours, more where this came from.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Used to deal with rocks other places, but there are none here at the ranch. Nada. Zilch.

Can't even find a handful to tamp in a fence post right.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Once spring, during the annual "clean up the baseball field" father/son night, someone tried to pry up a rock along the first-base line. A stick was employed to scratch around it, and eventually everyone had gathered to observe the procedure. Vehicles were dispatched to near-by homes and spade and shovels acquired. The field lights were turned on, and townspeople started showing up to see why. Things progressed to vehicles being dispatched into the countryside and tractors and chains returned. Old telephone poles were acquired from somewhere to be inserted beneath the rock while the tractors pulled on the chains. Eventually, the chains slipped or something and the poles were crushed. More poles and chains were brought into play and the rock was finally pulled from whence the last glacier had left it. It now sat on the field, rendering the field rather unfit for its intended purpose. At this point, large equipment from a local contractor was put into play, and the rock was moved behind the bleachers, after which it became a highly appreciated attraction for small boys who liked to climb on things.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Where we shoot prairie dogs, the landowner sells rock to a local rock mason. The Feds came in and told him he needs a permit to pick rocks, even on private ground. What a crock...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have one field on my place where there are some rocks, and I've had problems in a spot or two digging postholes. Fortunately, it's just this one small area, maybe half an acre. I do have some wooded land that has rocks, and a number of large ones, as there is an area of rocks and sinkholes, along with some springs and a cave. This whole part of Kentucky is well known for it's limestone rock, sinkholes, underground streams, and caves.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to dig more than an inch or two in middle Tennessee, without hitting rocks. When setting up a blind for turkey hunting, have to move it several times to find a spot where you can get the tent pegs in the ground. Not as massive as some you guys show but they are EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mostly limestone up here but on the edge of the great granite Canadian Shield. On the farm I grew up on there is a large rising that may have been water falls many years ago & down in the fields there is lots of granite boulders to pick. Not so much anymore as that was my job whenever I got in trouble. No comment thanks. There are farms in the area that have stone fences a mile long! So someone was more bad than I. Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
growing up with 5 brothers and a yard full of rocks, my old man made sure a good amount of our free time was spent picking/digging rocks and making walls out of them. i hated that activity with a passion. you never got done. ever.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
New Hampshire isn't called 'The Granite State" for no reason. You can hardly poke a shovel into the ground without hitting a rock.

In 180-degree contrast, people who want rocks in their yards here in eastern Nebraska pay good money to have them imported from out of state.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My home place was horrible.
C ouldnt shove a spade in the ground, or drive a stake.
We picked rocks out of the garden all the time, after a rain, more rocks.

Here at my house, much different.

Not a huge amount, but I have limestone outcrops.
Get the pick, dig a while, it still don't wiggle.
Get the sledge, knock it back to where you can live with it.
Farmer that used to plow this field told me horror stories of broken plows,
And he bruised ribs when those old tractors just suddenly stopped.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/16/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 74 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.