Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Try as I might, couldn't make it shoot quite with either CZ. Still pulling the damn 5th shot. 3-9 Nikon Prostaff rimfire, CCI Standard velocity. 50 yards.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by benchman; 05/12/19.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had mine since 1967 ($44.95!). Been a good reliable rifle if not an accuracy star. Once I get through with my other projects, I plan to tweak it a bit for accuracy. First area for attention is that silly "bedding" that lets it twist around in the stock. If I can get it shooting really well, the grandson might get an heirloom if he wants it. Hard to tell what kids want these days......

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Still good enough for plinking and squirrels.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
What bedding? I have a 582 that's got no bedding, plus the dovetailed gizmo that the bottom screw goes into is loose as the dickens, but tightening the screw tightens up the dovetail. Mine shoots no worse than much of anything else I have with cheap bullets. That includes a Rem 513T which does shoot good with Eley Club and a new Savage BVTSS that's about the same as the 582 but I haven't tried Club in the 582 yet. My old Win 52 pump shoots as good as anything but not the 513T, that one is about the best. I've been meaning to try some Club or Wolf in the 582 though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hence the "quotes".

It may just be that the tube mag on yours helps keep things in line. Maybe, maybe not, but I'm going with that!

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Never put my 582 to the test on paper, but it has always been very accurate to me with whatever ammo I happened to be using. If I do get time, I would like to put it to the test. Very curious. I'm thinking it shoots around Benchmans 581 group but without the flier.
And yeah, someone at Remington threw a turd in the punch bowl when they decided to use that stupid plastic sleeve for the rear sight.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kragman1
Never put my 582 to the test on paper, but it has always been very accurate to me with whatever ammo I happened to be using. If I do get time, I would like to put it to the test. Very curious. I'm thinking it shoots around Benchmans 581 group but without the flier.
And yeah, someone at Remington threw a turd in the punch bowl when they decided to use that stupid plastic sleeve for the rear sight.

Ha! I think the flier is me. Good for 3, off on the 4th, mess up the fifth. Ditto on the stupid plastic sleeve!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
try some tac-22 ammo

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gunscrew
try some tac-22 ammo

Yeah, gotta up my game. I'll check my local guy. Sure is nice to have accurate rifles, but they DO show your mistakes!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evening, ya mine shoots about the same as bench mans, But, the receiver is threaded & a Win model 53 bbl installed. I got the bbl off of some guy that had just won a match with it & thought he needed a new bbl????? What??? Ya I can't explain it, his loss my gain. Just shot it last week again, was thinking about changing to center fire for a 17 hornet or fireball?! Not going to happen, I'd be a fool to change it. Sooner or later I'll find a LH. 17 fireball, just have to wait that's all. Bill out 🐾👣🇨🇦

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Has the trigger been tuned any? That could make 5 shots better. Factory 581's generally have very heavy triggers in need of some t.l.c.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a 582 that i bought in about 1975 or 76. Shot plenty of squirrels with it, at many different distances. Was always good enough for me and my Mom had meat in the pot for squirrel stew.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by benchman

Ha! I think the flier is me. Good for 3, off on the 4th, mess up the fifth. Ditto on the stupid plastic sleeve!

Drink another cup of coffee or chill for a few minutes before the 4th and 5th shot.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
It's been my experience that 22's don't settle down until about after 10 shots or so. I don't count the first 10 sighters.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I don't count the first 10 minutes of shooting, 'cause I'm the one that needs to warm up...

Coffee never helps my groups, and no fair mixing bourbon and guns to relax.

What's a guy to do ....? ha ha

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The scope is your problem, in an effort to strengthen international relations I will take it off your hands, even pick up the postage. Now don't get all emotional on me

Johno

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't count the first 10 minutes of shooting, 'cause I'm the one that needs to warm up...

Coffee never helps my groups, and no fair mixing bourbon and guns to relax.

What's a guy to do ....? ha ha

Having pretty severe anxiety problems, as a live performer, I was on meds for that for about 15 years. Boy, do they help your shooting! Yeah, I should take more time. Just shooting off a filled up backpack, too. The CZ'S are heavier, with better triggers, too. Funny thing, except for the stupid plastic sleeve, the 581 is very classic looking. Ergonomics are very good, too. It was an economy rifle. Shoots pretty darn good. The real surprise was my Mossberg 340BA. Shoots way above its paygrade.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by johno
The scope is your problem, in an effort to strengthen international relations I will take it off your hands, even pick up the postage. Now don't get all emotional on me

Johno

Gee, that's swell! Thanks!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
What's a nice 581 going for these days? Actually ran across a 582 in a shop the other day but it was marked 399. Stock was beat up pretty good, front sight broke. Metal would clean up but not as nice as I would like. I felt it was overpriced by a good 150 bucks.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by killerv
What's a nice 581 going for these days? Actually ran across a 582 in a shop the other day but it was marked 399. Stock was beat up pretty good, front sight broke. Metal would clean up but not as nice as I would like. I felt it was overpriced by a good 150 bucks.

I got this one a few months ago. Very good shape, 200. I considered it a screaming deal. I think most go for around 250-300.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 54 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.