Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Joan,

When you fill out your next VERY Tender Feelings Report,do not "forget" to "convince" yourself that you "do not care". Congratulations?!?

You Whining clueless Fhuqk.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one in 30-30 Dad bought for my birthday almost 50 years ago. Mine is the a Foremost model that I think was sold at J C Penny’s. It will shoot around 1” and is deadly to 200 yards with Hornady 160 FTX. Still has the original Weaver 4x scope, I’m wondering if one of the Leupold compact variables would fit and clear the bolt throw? I still drag it out and hunt with it every few years just for grins, it’s killed a truck load of hogs and deer through the years.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I cannot speak to the possibility of flex which might result in brass which is no longer square but I have no reason to doubt it. On the strength or lack thereof, of the 340, I do know of one fellow who decided there was no reason not to rechamber his 30/30 to 307 Winchester. Now, this might have worked out fine if he had stayed with factory equivalent loads or lighter but he figured he could push it a little and was definitely in the lower end of 308 territory when the single lug broke off. He was lucky to have not ended up with a 340 bolt as a facial decoration. This led me to the conclusion that the 340 action was definitely limited to what it could be expected to digest. I think the 225 is a little more than the action can be expected to take over a long period. If I had one (and the odds are slim), I would load it to 222 velocity levels or very slightly higher. This way, I could be sure the bolt would stay in the rifle and my ruggedly handsome face would be unaltered by flying pieces. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Throw the steaming pile of schit off a fhuqking cliff and never look back.

Hint...………………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Steaming pile o [bleep] he said....epic

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not too many schittier rifles,made it to Market.

Hint................

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Saving mine for the grandkids to kill a deer with, shoots good, no kick and has too much sentimental value.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Given the split receiver bridge, how can you use a Weaver top mount on a Savage 340?

Stumbled across this when I was looking for info on the Savage 340. Sent the link to my gunsmith who said that was the way to go. From what he told me it as easy to do. About halfway down the page the guy talks about mounting scopes, and he refers to modifying a weaver base.

http://leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20Articles/gunsmithing_the_savage_model_340.html

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I plan on loading some up today, keeping 43k CUP as my max pressure.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Please keep us updated on your loading/shooting as this is very interesting,to me at least. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Given the split receiver bridge, how can you use a Weaver top mount on a Savage 340?

Stumbled across this when I was looking for info on the Savage 340. Sent the link to my gunsmith who said that was the way to go. From what he told me it as easy to do. About halfway down the page the guy talks about mounting scopes, and he refers to modifying a weaver base.

http://leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20Articles/gunsmithing_the_savage_model_340.html

I've seen that article before and thought that it was a lot of effort for the value derived. I'm a tinkerer of the first order and even I recognize that spending any meaningful amount of effort and/or money to upgrade a Savage 340 series rifle is turd polishing. The practical solution is to sell it and buy something like one of Whtaker's 1-8" ROT RARs in 22-250

The B-Square side-mount accomplishes variable Weaver-style ring placement directly over the center-line of the bore far easier and cheaper without ruining whatever collector's value it might have down the road.

But, it's your rifle and your money, so you should do whatever makes you happy.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Collector value? I suppose it could happen. I had a friend who collected Italian Carcanos. He said they were the one rifle he could afford to collect because nobody wanted them. He never thought of the 340, I guess. GD

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
This one is mine.

[Linked Image]

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
ooopsie did I hear bigsh#t is throwing himself off a cliff!!!

Last edited by mooshoo; 05/13/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greydog
Collector value? I suppose it could happen. I had a friend who collected Italian Carcanos. He said they were the one rifle he could afford to collect because nobody wanted them. He never thought of the 340, I guess. GD

340s in 225 aren't real common and nearly everything under the Sun is collected by someone.

J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Not really worried about collectors value. I already painted the stock, and with mounting the top scope any collector would turn up his nose. This will be a groundhog gun, pure and simple. With my shooting limitations, I am sure I can get it to do what i need it to.
And "throwing it off the cliff" may work for some people, but I like different chamberings "yes I know head-stamp doesn't matter" and this allows me to shoot a different caliber for fairly cheap. Pus on a limited budget, my purchase of rifles is few and far between. So this one is here to stay.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not really worried about collectors value. I already painted the stock, and with mounting the top scope any collector would turn up his nose. This will be a groundhog gun, pure and simple. With my shooting limitations, I am sure I can get it to do what i need it to.
And "throwing it off the cliff" may work for some people, but I like different chamberings "yes I know head-stamp doesn't matter" and this allows me to shoot a different caliber for fairly cheap. Pus on a limited budget, my purchase of rifles is few and far between. So this one is here to stay.

Good luck with your project, sounds like you've already started with the FUBAR modifications.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Schit brass,schit chambering,schit twist rate and frosted in a schit rifle...undoubtedly wearing schit glass,ain't much of a fhuqking "Blueprint". Congratulations?!?

Flush the turd and move on.

Hint.................

J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Please keep us updated on your loading/shooting as this is very interesting,to me at least. smile

Got some loads developed and took it to the range yesterday. Made sure the necks were relatively straight,(John Barsness method) loaded it with Win 760 Powder over CCI #250 Primer, and 40 grain V-max bullets. Before I shot I loosened the barrel band and tightened it snug, not tight. The 38 grain load seems to be what the rifle likes. It put 4 in .73 inch at 100 yards, with a velocity of 3,780, and an E.S of 54. I will play with seating depth, but to be honest I am pretty happy with this. This should be good for groundhogs out to 300 yards. I had shot some 55 grain factory loads. and couldn't keep it under an inch and a half. I am suspicious that the slow twist barrel is happier with 40 grain bullets. Factory said 14" twist, but my gunsmith measured it at 15. Wish i were a smart one that could post pictures! It would make some people fuss because I "Butchered it" with painted stock, top scope mount etc. But it was meant to be a groundhog gun, nothing else, and I think I have achieved what I set out to do!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
340's were the worst piece of schitt ever designed for a modern center fire cartridge.

The designer never gave metal fatigue a second thought.

If you have one, better sell it. Better yet, cut it in half.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 58 invisible), 3,278 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.