Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
For those you would say there is no reason to carry a handgun while hiking, one hiker killed and one wounded by machete attack on Appalachain Trail in Virginia.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...attack-leaves-one-hiker-dead/1184619001/

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I start the rhetoric, Glock 23 with 180’s😂

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'll add P226 40 cal with 200gr XTP's, so many guns, so little sense. crazy

Trump Won!
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My wife and I hiked portions of the trail in every state except Georgia last year and made one of the most difficult hikes I have done in a long time to the top of Katahdin. I carried my Kahr CM9 the entire time. We encountered a lot of hikers, both in groups and loners and never felt uncomfortable except for an encounter in Vermont at a secluded scenic overlook with two dude who gave me the feeling they were wolves looking for sheep. They appeared to be sizing us up and made the little voice in my head scream "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!" They seemed to change their demeanor once I moved away from the edge of the cliff and oblique to them, slipped my hand to my waistband under my shirt and gave them a hard look. They decided they had a better place to be and headed up the trail. Maybe they were just trail weary and wanted the place to themselves, but those dudes looked and felt like trouble and I was glad I had a gun.

Perry

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I always carry a J when hiking. I got that "danger" feeling once and was glad I had it with me, although I didn't have to pull it.

IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There is a lot of the AT in "No Gun Zones" where something like a NAA Mini Revolver or KelTec .32 could be hidden without much worry of being found but there when needed. There have been a lot of rapes and murders along the trail that never make it to the press as the locals don't want the area to get a bad name....

Many people carry OC...any woman who hikes with no gun or at least OC is out of their minds....(see my signature line)

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RJM
There is a lot of the AT in "No Gun Zones" where something like a NAA Mini Revolver or KelTec .32 could be hidden without much worry of being found but there when needed. There have been a lot of rapes and murders along the trail that never make it to the press as the locals don't want the area to get a bad name....

Many people carry OC...any woman who hikes with no gun or at least OC is out of their minds....(see my signature line)

Bob

Wow! I didn't know that there were "no gun zones" on the trail. Was the attack in one of those?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by VaHunter
For those you would say there is no reason to carry a handgun while hiking, one hiker killed and one wounded by machete attack on Appalachain Trail in Virginia.

you run into some strange people from time to time, I have run into a couple of them over the years, no problems so far but I don't look or act like a sheep.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by dla

Wow! I didn't know that there were "no gun zones" on the trail. Was the attack in one of those?
I believe that he was referring to it running through MD, NJ, NY, CT and MA.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by dla

Oh yea, I forgot about that. Living in Oregon I forget what the eastern US has to put up with.

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

Oh yea, I forgot about that. Living in Oregon I forget what the eastern US has to put up with.

It's no better out there. You have CA to the south and Oregon doesn't recognize any out-of-state carry licenses.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

Oregon is a picture of a gun freedom loving state!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's crazy to me is that I dare say, most, hikers are so against guns that they would almost rather be raped or chopped into pieces than carry a firearm for protection.
Foolish in the extreme.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't think I've ever not been armed hiking/backpacking. Just one of those basic things.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
This occurred in Virginia. No excuse for not being armed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 340boy
What's crazy to me is that I dare say, most, hikers are so against guns that they would almost rather be raped or chopped into pieces than carry a firearm for protection.
Foolish in the extreme.

Agreed, it's crazy, that said, I'm no Yule Gibbons corn nut eating hiker, but damn, I pack more for two legged vermin than four leggers.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by dla
I don't think I've ever not been armed hiking/backpacking. Just one of those basic things.

Same here. And if my permit was not recognized, well, concealed is concealed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ever see videos of someone being chased on a street by someone wielding a knife?

Arm yourself.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHunter

I would love to run into the likes of a "Sovereign" in the woods. [bleep] came from taxachuchitt , who would have thunk.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Over the years I've warned quite a few people about hiking in the desert: enough water and a firearm. Some listen.

Retired cat herder.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

346 members (1lesfox, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,663
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.