Print Thread
Hop To
L
LRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Looking for recommendations of best way to remove existing gun finish. Let me explain:
I recently obtained a Win M70 which I would like to do some reshaping of the existing stock. The gun was restocked by someone in its previous life and although the stock is in great condition its shape in the forearm, pistol grip and cheek piece could use some modifications to improve its feel and look. Let me add that it is not checkered, so that aids in reshaping the forearm and grip.

The question is removing the old stock finish in such a way to make the new shaped areas and areas that are not being reshaped, blend together in color as much as possible? I imagine we are talking chemical stripping and in that regard products that others have used with success or issues would be of interest. I would like to avoid sanding the areas that will not get reshaped, as much as possible.

If you have some thoughts on the subject then I would like to hear them.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh boy!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That'll be tricky trying to match up the stains.

But as far as stripping, citristrip has always done well for me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is it possible to scrape the finish off? (And I mean with real woodworking scrapers, not a Kabar.)

Sounds like a real challenge. Frankly I would take the entire finish off with a stripper and start from scratch. Got a pic?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have used 3M Safe Stripper which is water based and not harsh on the wood, brush it on according to instructions and rinse with water. I use a 3M pad for stubborn areas, let dry thoroughly and I go over the stock with a maroon 3M pad and acetone. Brownell's sells a Pilkington pre'64 stain and so does Galazan, I have used both to get the correct pre'64 Winchester color. As for finish if you want to do an oil finish I have used GB Linspeed and Formby's low gloss with about the same result, the key to a good oil finish is to apply it thin and rub until your hand feels hot. The set aside to dry, I have some hooks on my back porch for this purpose the sun and circulating air aid the drying process but it is still not to be rushed. This is where many get themselves in trouble with an oil finish is not allowing it to dry thoroughly before applying the next coat. If you do not want to do an oil finish I have finished stocks with satin finish lacquer in a rattle can, lacquer must also be applied in thin coats and not rushed but it is quicker than an oil finish. When done with either finish I give them about a week after they feel dry to the touch before applying a coat of paste wax using a 0000 steel wool pad and buffing with a micro fiber cloth after the wax has hazed over.

IC B2

L
LRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Is it possible to scrape the finish off? (And I mean with real woodworking scrapers, not a Kabar.)

Sounds like a real challenge. Frankly I would take the entire finish off with a stripper and start from scratch. Got a pic?

I have watched Mr "Kabar's" video and it was interesting. Scraping is an option.
If I get some pics taken I can post.

L
LRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the feedback on chemicals. All is helpful.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Zip Strip, Stripeez, Homer Formby; just about any chemical stripper will work. Remove it all and start from scratch. Don't use sandpaper to remove the finish. It may look like the stripper left some finish on (splotchy and white) but it will look good when new finish is applied, if necessary or wanted after stripping twice and not satisfied use steel wool, brass wool, a stainless pot scrubber or other 3M type pad. I can't believe I can't remember what those green pads are called!

Scotch Brite Pads!!! Better late than never!

Last edited by sbrmike; 05/15/19.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Start at the start. What finish was used? That will determine if and how it should be done.

Very few people have enough experience with scrapers to do an acceptable job and not make far more work for themselves cleaning up the mess.

Many finishes are very forgiving in blending and many will blend in nicely over time. Some suck in those categories.

I would not strip before doing the shaping. The stripping would get the fresh surfaces "dirty" with the same stuff coloring the old surfaces.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
LRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Start at the start. What finish was used? That will determine if and how it should be done.

Very few people have enough experience with scrapers to do an acceptable job and not make far more work for themselves cleaning up the mess.

Many finishes are very forgiving in blending and many will blend in nicely over time. Some suck in those categories.

I would not strip before doing the shaping. The stripping would get the fresh surfaces "dirty" with the same stuff coloring the old surfaces.

Thanks good comments

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Okay, but what is the finish?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 77 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.