Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by Darryle
Originally Posted by Fotis
I had an opinion on the matter and I asked you for yours evidently an erroneous move on my part. .

It was a loaded question from the start, the 6.5 Creed has a line, there is no straddling it, either you dislike it or you think it is the end all be all.

I have three 6.5 Creed rifles, 2 bolt and 1 AR, it has it's place and hopping around on a mountain side chasing elk is not one I would consider. I shot my last two elk with a Miller 300 Weatherby. When there are variables that you cannot control, going marginal on your caliber choice is not something a rational man would make.

Ok I’ll bite. What is a Miller 300 Weatherby? What bullets does it shoot?

David Miller Marksman

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would it be as good as a 270?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In this Moment's atmosphere...my 22" Kreedmire is Supersonic to the 1500yd line ala 147 and full value 10mph wind is but a 3 Mil correction.

Reality hurts Feelers,that it takes less than 39grs of propellant,to arrange same..

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got purty cold.

LAUGHING!

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
Would it be as good as a 270?

What ain't?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Not again....

yep...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WhoreHey!,

Start a Thread...if/when you go Outdoors.

Hint..................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it Thursday already?

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Thankfully I don’t have to worry about these difficult questions. I have a 7mm-08 so I am good with anything to moose...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
Thankfully I don’t have to worry about these difficult questions. I have a 7mm-08 so I am good with anything to moose...

No.....no you’re not, it can’t hang with moosies at 1,500 yards. I read on the internet that all moosies are shot beyond 1,000 yards.

I never seen one in Virginia though. Or a zoo. Maybe TV once.

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
My neighbor says he saw one, along with a mountain lion, in his backyard. He is prone to exaggerating, though.

Actually, several people claimed to have seen the mountain lion, not long after a big bobcat showed up. He was so old he had lost most of his markings. Had him at 20 yards in bow season but I wasn’t sure if the season was open on bobcats. It was. 😟

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
WhoreHey!,

Hint..................

JorgeI
Average of 182 posts per month

Big Stick
Average of 209 posts per month

At 30 days per month and your average of 7 posts per day, it seems like he spends approx 4 days longer every month outside than you do!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bearded
WhoreHey!,

Hint..................

JorgeI
Average of 182 posts per month

Big Stick
Average of 209 posts per month

At 30 days per month and your average of 7 posts per day, it seems like he spends approx 4 days longer every month outside than you do!

LMAO........

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had an opinion on the matter and I asked you for yours evidently an erroneous move on my part. .

It was a loaded question from the start, the 6.5 Creed has a line, there is no straddling it, either you dislike it or you think it is the end all be all.

I have three 6.5 Creed rifles, 2 bolt and 1 AR, it has it's place and hopping around on a mountain side chasing elk is not one I would consider. I shot my last two elk with a Miller 300 Weatherby. When there are variables that you cannot control, going marginal on your caliber choice is not something a rational man would make.

How true! Seems to be a race to the bottom as too how little gun you can use! I too own a 6.5 Creedmoor and love the 270 Win and have killed elk with it, but................... I now use the 338 Win. When the chips are down at the end of the day, and I have that quartering away shot I never have to ask "is the 338 enough for elk". Practice with the 6.5 then bring enough gun! Why not?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps. The 147/Kreedmire melding has accounted rather well on Mooseses,Elkeses,Bears,Sheeps,Caribouskis and Venisons...less anyone musing a regret or a change. Belts are losing their "luster".

Hint.................

Love ya man, but ALL wild game is venisons, not just deer. grin

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 6.5 Creedmoor is too small for elk.

The 6.5x55 is the minimum cartridge that can cleanly take any elk, at any distance, any quartering angle.

Except for the 257 Weatherby and 25-06. They will also kill elk. But you have to use magic bullets.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

The 6.5x55 is the minimum cartridge that can cleanly take any elk, at any distance, any quartering angle.

Except for the 257 Weatherby and 25-06. They will also kill elk. But you have to use magic bullets.

Looking at Hornady factory loaded 140's and Nosler factory 140's are the same exact velocity in Creed Vs Swede

Unless I missed the sarcasm (entirely possible)

Also Q for Darryle with the Miller... Is David Miller still making rifles? He was popular in the late 90's, early 00's but I haven't heard much about him in 12-15 years. Thx

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nuts.

I know quite a few individuals that neither dislike the 6.5 CM nor think it is "the end all be all". You can put me in that camp as well.

Some people are not well informed enough to form an opinion, others are but don't come to a conclusion at either extreme. You can include me in that camp.

There is no doubt in my mind that almost every - if not every - big game animal I've taken ((antelope, mule deer and elk) would have fallen equally well to a .308 Win, or 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM. That doesn't mean I hunt with them and the only one I have is a couple of .308's. I have seen what a 6.5 CM can do on game, though, as a SIL has one.

Currently in the (very long) process of building another rifle. It will NOT be a 6.5 CM, but a 6.5 PRC is the probable choice as it is a long action. Had the 6.5 PRC not come along it would likely have been a 6,5-06 or my second 6.5-06AI.

Would I chase elk with a 6.5 CM. Yup, and not sweat the choice a bit. I've hunted them with a .44 Mag revolver, .30-30, .375 Win and .45-70 and would the 6.5 CM is a better choice than any of them IMHO.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/17/19.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by dSmith_45
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

Looking at Hornady factory loaded 140's and Nosler factory 140's are the same exact velocity in Creed Vs Swede

Unless I missed the sarcasm (entirely possible)

Also Q for Darryle with the Miller... Is David Miller still making rifles? He was popular in the late 90's, early 00's but I haven't heard much about him in 12-15 years. Thx

I am thinking (hoping?) that this was indeed sarcasm. However, one can never tell.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dSmith_45

I bought this rifle from a local dealer when he was getting out of the business. He used it on one safari and made me what I thought at the time was a smoking deal. At the time I think they were in the $9500 range for a complete rifle with optics and loaded ammo. No waiting many months for your turn, not saying isn't worth the wait, because it was.

I emailed the address I was given at the time to see if he had the load data for my rifle and it bounced back. I haven't heard anything from him or about him lately. The one time I did talk to him on the phone shortly after I bought the rifle, he was extremely courteous and gave me the info I was after, the load data, but I have since lost it. I have been using the Weatherby 200 gr Nosler load and it shoots better than I ever could. It's one of those rifles that if there is a once in a lifetime hunt on the radar it will be the one to go.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 90 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.