Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I don’t go anywhere without a gun. If I can’t take my gun, I don’t go. Some may label it as paranoid, but I just call it being prepared.

Same here. There are a lot of places I'd love to see, but if I can't go armed, I won't go. One example.....the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown NY. I cannot legally carry a concealed handgun in that state, so I'll never see it. Same way with visiting Niagara Falls, and going across to the Canadian side.

Admittedly, I've carried here into buildings that had a no firearms allowed sign posted, but I figure that on the slight chance that I'm caught doing it, I can probably figure out a way to get out of it. A state like New York would most likely not be so easy to deal with.

I believe in that old saying......I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

James, I agree with you totally. A lot places I would like to see. The Smithsonian is one. Can’t see myself traveling without protection.
Hasbeen

IME the security guards at every Smithsonian don't care at all if the metal detector goes off. I carried through several of them and they just waved me on through.

The National Archives is completely different.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don’t go anywhere without a gun. If I can’t take my gun, I don’t go. Some may label it as paranoid, but I just call it being prepared.

Same here. There are a lot of places I'd love to see, but if I can't go armed, I won't go. One example.....the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown NY. I cannot legally carry a concealed handgun in that state, so I'll never see it. Same way with visiting Niagara Falls, and going across to the Canadian side.

Admittedly, I've carried here into buildings that had a no firearms allowed sign posted, but I figure that on the slight chance that I'm caught doing it, I can probably figure out a way to get out of it. A state like New York would most likely not be so easy to deal with.

I believe in that old saying......I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

The area around Cooperstown is about as rural as anywhere you'll find in the northeast, so the probability of running into trouble with human predators at or near the HOF seems pretty slim to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably not as rural as the Appalachian Trail.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only places I've actually had to reach for my gun have been rural. One was even wilderness. I don't see where population makes any difference.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the j frame is a lw and great reliable choice.

It sure is.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

James, I agree with you totally. A lot places I would like to see. The Smithsonian is one. Can’t see myself traveling without protection.
Hasbeen

Yup. I don't go anywhere that I have to go unarmed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Same, this thread is bumfuzzling the chit out of me, I wont even walk the 350 yards down to the mailbox holding my Wifes hand without a pistol and spare mag in my back pocket, I will forever never understand what folks are thinking that wander off down a trail for 10's of 100's of miles unarmed. crazy

"without a pistol" gotdamn spellcheck!

Last edited by gunner500; 05/16/19.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Same, this thread is bumfuzzling the chit out of me, I wont even walk the 350 yards down to the mailbox holding my Wifes hand with a pistol and spare mag in my back pocket, I will forever never understand what folks are thinking that wander off down a trail for 10's of 100's of miles unarmed. crazy
Normally on any walk, I'll have either a S&W M&P .40 with a mag or two extra or a Governor AND an M&P 9mm Compact. Along with either carry "package" I'll have a big knife concealed in addition to my normal Buck folder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same, this thread is bumfuzzling the chit out of me, I wont even walk the 350 yards down to the mailbox holding my Wifes hand with a pistol and spare mag in my back pocket, I will forever never understand what folks are thinking that wander off down a trail for 10's of 100's of miles unarmed. crazy

I spend a lot of time in the mountains by myself, or with just my dog, and I always have a pistol, one or two spare mags, and sometimes an edged weapon along with me.
Can't see ever doing otherwise.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet EE and 340, I guess we's thinking men! crazy anyone with a least two functioning brain cells knows we're not much use for our women, getting them to work if they want in bad weather conditions and PROTECTION! that's about it, I just can't get there from here on what people have ranging through their empty skulls when out and about.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You bet EE and 340, I guess we's thinking men! crazy anyone with a least two functioning brain cells knows we're not much use for our women, getting them to work if they want in bad weather conditions and PROTECTION! that's about it, I just can't get there from here on what people have ranging through their empty skulls when out and about.
The wife's sidearm is a Colt Magnum Carry (Detective Special) in 357 Mag. and the daughter has an old Detective Special in .38 Spec. I just told my fourteen year old son, after reading your post about an hour ago, that we are shooting pistols more this summer. He'll need one soon.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good deal EE, looks like you have your ladies set up nicely, your son and you will both enjoy the hell out of that shooting, and the Sprout will benefit greatly.

Trump Won!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
VaHunter: I think I see what you are getting at?
There are so many drug addled mentally deranged cretins out there looking for "their 15 minutes" of fame that maybe we/I should carry guns all the time.
Probably good advice in this day and age.
Sad that the young people were victimized by this drug addled murderous scumbag!
I hike in areas where I am much more liable to come across a Grizzly than a meth head.
If and when I decide to carry (family members along!) I will go Glock in 40 S&W with high capacity magazines and Gold Dot hollow-points.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Part of the AT through Shenandoah National Park is pretty close by. See a lot of strange people up there , but like others have said arm yourself. I feel safer on the AT or in the woods than in any bigger city.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
4 buddies and myself hike the AT in north Georgia each September ,
Usually just for 2-3 nights. I’m the gun nut of the group, so I always carry(in a hill people gear chest pack that allows easy access to
My pistol will your pack on). Two others in our group carry as well . On the Georgia portion of the trail you will quite a bit of open carry, and it seemed to go largely unmentioned, even among your more
“Granola” hikers. There’s no way you’ll catch me out hiking in an area where I’m the only one responsible for my own safety unarmed.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by hotweatherhunter
There’s no way you’ll catch me out hiking in an area where I’m the only one responsible for my own safety unarmed.

I bought into that kind of thinking years ago. I am the only one responsible for my safety. No way, do I go out without a gun. It just doesn't make sense.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
While I don't mind if others open carry I prefer to keep my gun out of sight. The problem with carrying with a pack if you carrying on your right hip is that the pack waist strap covers the gun. I have been thinking about a chest holster of some type that could go under a loose fitting short sleeve shirt, but other than "thunderwear" which looks like it would be hot and get soaked in sweat had not hit on anything. Thanks for posting the hill people info the snubby kit bag looks very interesting for a small 9mm.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The snubby model is the one the I have, usually with a sig
P938. It is a great place to keep your keys, phone etc as well as your
Handgun. These chest packs also work great while kayaking or cycling.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by hotweatherhunter
The snubby model is the one the I have, usually with a sig
P938. It is a great place to keep your keys, phone etc as well as your
Handgun. These chest packs also work great while kayaking or cycling.

They are very handy. I had a single use in mind when I got my first one. I had no idea I'd use it as much as I do.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that is great info JM and Hotweather.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.