Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobMt

I will be in Zambia hunting with the du poolys…..sounds like my Merrill's will be fine......1st of June is the time line weather wise.

thanks everyone for the comments...….bob

Johnny and Laura! Was there last July/Aug with them. PM sent.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What size shoe do you take? I have a pair of these that I've barely used that I'd be willing to sell. Size 11

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/russell-tracker/

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RedAstrachan
What size shoe do you take? I have a pair of these that I've barely used that I'd be willing to sell. Size 11

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/russell-tracker/

10....but wide...thanks for the offer......bob

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Merrell Light Hikers. Goretex not needed - generally breathability trumps waterproof out there.

Merrell Moab's are my choice for the breathability.

Wear your boots on the plane with you, pack a spare pair of double duty shoes like a set of leather chukkas, just in case something happens to the primary pair. Like having the sole tear off.

Hunt Africa while you can
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just traipsed around Kenya for 11 days in my Moabs. Great shoes. I took a second pair of insoles and swapped back and forth. They take up no room and can travel in your second pair.

Rnovi is spot on about the second pair of chukkas. They work great for the tent, dinner and as an alternate pair.

Also, I do not oveetighten my shoes, rather left them kind of loose.

Last edited by baxterb; 05/13/19.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Short of going barefoot or wearing only wool socks to put on an old school sneak the Belleville Minimalist with the 8mm drop at the heel are the quietest I've ever worn.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My buddy likes Solomans.

Last edited by Cigar; 05/16/19.

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These were great for me and my son in Botswana

https://palladiumboots.com/products/75349-326-m

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've worn the leather lined Lowa Renegades for years. I prefer a leather boot for thorn and cactus (Texas) protection. The leather lining makes them exceptionally comfortable and without gortex, they don't make my feet so hot. If they get wet, they dry very fast.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Lowa Locarno. Not as sturdy as the Renegade, but maybe a little stouter than a hi-top basketball shoe. Super quiet and comfortable (even as camp shoes). Wore them for two weeks last year on safari in Zambia, and then for another week in Utah on an early season mule deer hunt.

IC B3

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by LJB
Lowa Locarno. Not as sturdy as the Renegade, but maybe a little stouter than a hi-top basketball shoe. Super quiet and comfortable (even as camp shoes). Wore them for two weeks last year on safari in Zambia, and then for another week in Utah on an early season mule deer hunt.

who did you go with in Zambia?...….bob

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Lowa Zepher always looked like a good arid country boot. If I can just wear out the half dozen or so other boots I have I will give these a try. They have enough leather on them to turn most thorn and with Turtle Skin gaiters they would be impervious. Should work well for dove hunting in the heat too. One pair of Lowa's I had went through three pairs of Vibram soles before I retired them, I hope the quality is still there.

Last edited by Tejano; 05/24/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Far be it for me, but the Courteney Selous boots are stellar in heat and sand (I’m wearing them in snow right now fwiw).

I resisted for a few years, however I should have gotten them from the beginning.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve used Russell High Country hunters on several safaris. Both the 8” Air Sole and 10” Vibram sole versions are quiet and supportive for full days of tracking, including the occasional climb up a kopje to galss. They fit well without the need for prolonged break in, they are uninsulated so cool enough in the heat and work well in the soft soils in Southern Africa. They are made of water resistant leather and have held up for many miles.

Important to top off whatever you choose with gaiters to keep seeds and sand out of your socks. The old but effective Texas Hunt Co. African gaiters are now sold, in an improved version, by Spec Ops, Jeff Wemmer’s enterprise. Worth every penny.

BTW I bought a pair of Courtneys made in Zim and couldn’t get used to the fit, so left them to my PH.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used the Cabela's copy of the Browning Kangaroo leather Bird Hunting boots. Featherweight is a good description! Crepe sole with a little grip, but soft. I wore them everywhere in the States too, except for snow.

I made the mistake of going prairie dog shooting near Gillette one summer, wearing canvas running shoes! Wow! Try as I might, there was no way to avoid getting into cactus. I seriously don't know how Pea Eye made it back barefoot to Capn Call! ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/30/19.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just make sure that they don't have any mesh in them. I made that mistake on my second trip to Zim. The grass seeds were an inch long and razor sharp. Every time one went through the mesh I had to stop and take off my boots. Ended up cocooning them in duct tape to keep the seeds out. Courtney's are great, but really overpriced in the US. Clarks Desert Boots are a great, fairly inexpensive option.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.