Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
One of my east coast friends was just here on Varmint Safari with me and his Ruger 77/17 HMR needs "trigger work".
He loved the triggers that myself and a couple other Hunters have on our Ruger 77/17 V/T's. Our triggers have all had the Volquartsen trigger sear and trigger spring "kits" installed in them.
Well after over a week of trying I finally got through to the Volquartsen people and they relayed that they no longer make the Ruger 77/17 trigger sear and spring kits.
A search showed that the folks at Timney make a trigger sear and trigger spring kit for the Ruger 77/17's - they are pricey $50.00 plus shipping.
So I need any input from anyone who may have added a Timney sear and spring kit to their Rifles.
My friend left the Rifle with me to have ready for him by next Varmint safari season so we have time to do something.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've put 2 in Timney spring and sears kits in 77/22's. In my 77/22, just dropped them in and the trigger pull dropped from around 4# down to just under 2#, according to my rcbs trigger pull scale. The only problem I had was the safety wouldn't engage. The directions that came with my kit explained this might happen and what to do. Took 10 minutes to solve the problem.

2nd went in my son's 77/22 all weather. The sear was a little tall and I had to take about .005 off to make it clear. The bolt would rotate, but not come back. His also dropped to right around 2#.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Oldman3: Thank you very much for those examples - I have installed 7 or 8 Volquartsen trigger sear and trigger spring kits in various Ruger 77 rimfires and only had to resort to a "file" once!
That was snarky though as the Volquartsen kits came with absolutely no instructions - not one word!
Much appreciated and if the triggers were crisp and light enough (like you did describe that!) I will recommend my friend opt for the Timney kit.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another option is to send the action to Randy @ CPC and have home do a trigger job and over travel. It’s a basic service he offers and others that have had it done loved it. I have the Volquartzen unit myself and I like the trigger pull but wouldn’t mind the overtravel built in.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Installed a Timney years ago in my son's 77/22 Target, and did a DIY on my 77/22 RSI. If you are careful, either works well. The faint of heart or fumble-fingered should use the Timney, which can also be a fall-back method if you futz up the DIY.

I used a Smith's diamond bench stone for both fitting the safety pad of the Timney and for changing the angle and engagement on the factory. It cuts clean and quick, and I found it easy to keep my angles right with it. Can't find the DIY instructions, but if you search for it online, it's not too hard to find, has good pics and description. If I can do it..........

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
JimHnSTL: I searched CPC and came up with nothing - could you expound on this outfit - and thank you in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Pappy348: Thank you for the info and the warning.
The last Volquartsen trigger sear and trigger spring kit I bought was $27.00 - including shipping.
I found a picture of the Timney sear and spring and it looks similar to the Volquartsen (of course) but it is the aforementioned $50.00 now. Has to be done I guess.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
What's the part number? VC77TS?

Those are showing on ebay for the 77/17

also, http://www.ct-precision.com/

Last edited by killerv; 05/17/19.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Killerv: Thank you for that link. Apparently to get a "trigger job" done for $39.00 you must first have a "combo" job done on your Ruger 77 rimfires. This costs $189.00 plus shipping and insurance. So it would be well over $230.00 for their services.
We will try the Timney Kit and that will hopefully lighten the now heavy trigger pull of my friends Ruger 77/17 V/T. He has never complained about his Rifle's accuracy in fact he brags about it's accuracy - just bothered by the heavy not so crisp trigger on it now.
Thanks for the link interesting stuff there.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That will definitely lighten the pull with very little chance of a whoopsie. Just stop grinding on the safety pad when it begins working properly. Mine took a while because I was being very careful, too careful I think.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VarmentGuy, my bad on suggesting CPC without realizing the trigger work is only an option if you’re having the other work done.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
JemHnSTL: No problem at all - maybe you can buy just a "trigger job" from them folks without buying the big bucks combo's but they did not show that price/option at all.
I "favorite placed" them anyway as it sounded intriguing the match chamber jobs and barrel setbacks and various options for muzzle crowns and etc.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
send it to Clarks Custom Guns for a trigger job with the over travel screw added. glad i did on my 77/22. however, the best addition was a Green Mountain sporter barrel, turned it into a shooter. fairly easy to do if you have ones they made with a vblock.

5 shots groups off the bench @ 50 yrd

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ned; 05/19/19. Reason: why does a dog lick it's balls

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ned: Thank you for that input - a couple of my friends have had their Ruger 77/17's worked on by the Clark people. It is pricey work but results are always great.
As demonstrated by your targets!
Good for you.
I looked up the Clark Custom Guns site and will link it here for others.
The work on the trigger you suggest tabs out at $130.00 minimum plus unknown shipping TO the Clark people.
We are in the midst now of ordering the Timney kit for $50.00.

Link: https://clarkcustomguns.com/gunsmithing-service/trigger-work/

Thanks again.
I will let you all know how (if!) my friends trigger improves with the Timney Kit when it gets here and gets installed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
One of my east coast friends was just here on Varmint Safari with me and his Ruger 77/17 HMR needs "trigger work".
He loved the triggers that myself and a couple other Hunters have on our Ruger 77/17 V/T's. Our triggers have all had the Volquartsen trigger sear and trigger spring "kits" installed in them.
Well after over a week of trying I finally got through to the Volquartsen people and they relayed that they no longer make the Ruger 77/17 trigger sear and spring kits.
A search showed that the folks at Timney make a trigger sear and trigger spring kit for the Ruger 77/17's - they are pricey $50.00 plus shipping.
So I need any input from anyone who may have added a Timney sear and spring kit to their Rifles.
My friend left the Rifle with me to have ready for him by next Varmint safari season so we have time to do something.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
The Timney kit works fine... Installed several over the years..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Redneck: Thank you very much.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.