Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

a $1500 rifle..............

[Linked Image]

Ouch................

[Linked Image]

Original 52 Sporter, with Leupold 2-7 rimfire. Missing the rear peep sight and the small stock cut out has been plugged.

Oh, well........

BP-B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Betcha it will still shoot good. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
OH CHIT! I will forever be grateful for men like my gunsmith, I was picking up some work he'd done in his shop one day, a guy came in with some sort of pre-64 FWT rifle with a ebony tip, may have been a super-grade FWT, the guy ask for a recoil pad to be installed, I didn't, and still don't know much about pre-64 model 70's but I damn near went weak kneed and fell in the floor when he said that.

My 'Smith, the fine man that he is, said, "Thanks for coming in today Sir, and I want to do business with you, but I wont do that to that rifle" that guy looked at him and then me like he was hit in the face with a hubcap fulla dogchit, God Bless Men like my 'Smith! smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Betcha it will still shoot good. wink

Believe you'd be right. wink

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Hey, for an even thousand bucks, I could get used to that “art” work. Can’t see it while shooting.

Be glad to take it off someone’s hands.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a beautiful 52D Sporter that someone had reblued to a shiney gloss.....a nice shooter for sure.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Jesus wept.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Remarkable what time does to environment.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
OH CHIT! I will forever be grateful for men like my gunsmith, I was picking up some work he'd done in his shop one day, a guy came in with some sort of pre-64 FWT rifle with a ebony tip, may have been a super-grade FWT, the guy ask for a recoil pad to be installed, I didn't, and still don't know much about pre-64 model 70's but I damn near went weak kneed and fell in the floor when he said that.

My 'Smith, the fine man that he is, said, "Thanks for coming in today Sir, and I want to do business with you, but I wont do that to that rifle" that guy looked at him and then me like he was hit in the face with a hubcap fulla dogchit, God Bless Men like my 'Smith! smile

You have a good smith. Much like mine. They are a dying breed though.. its a shame

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Jesus wept.

LOL. laugh

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I worked part time for a 'smith that had a similar issue. The man had died and the widow came in wanting 2 rifles reblued: one a model 54 in '06 the other a model 94 in 30-30. She said she was gonna give one each to her sons and wanted them reblued to be equally nice. We both tried to reason with her that the rifles were not of equal value to start with and that reblueing them would decrease their value. The 54 was 95% and the 94 was 85%. She insisted that her boys were gonna get "equal" guns and demanded that they both be refinished. The shop owner got tied of arguing with her and took them in. I polished the 54 with a tear in my eye and reluctantly polished the pre 64 94. I wasn't there when the lady picked them up, I hope she was satisfied that she cut the value in half. I don't know what son got what rifle, or if they knew enough to know what happened to the heirlooms.
The customer is not always right!

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As if to add insult to injury, IMO the carving on that 52 is not even very well done.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You have a good smith. Much like mine. They are a dying breed though.. its a shame

Damn right BSA, they're dying out, very sad, we've all seen guns butchered by cutting the stocks, drilling extra holes, chiseling on the wood and such, matter of fact, those damn griffin and howe dudes that drilled all those M-70 receivers for that god awful side mount need to be dug up and kicked in the nuts! mad

CowboyBart, lord have mercy, as the Warden said in the old 'Cool Hand Luke' movie, "some people you just cant reach." crazy bet that did pain you to have to do those jobs.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
As if to add insult to injury, IMO the carving on that 52 is not even very well done.

I would find a stock surgeon like our old buddy Karnis here at the fire, have him thin the whole stock down, butt plate and all chit-canning that engraving then re cutting the checkering, slimmer and trimmer and not factory? yes, but a hell of a lot nicer to look at? hell yes, win/win smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

I would find a stock surgeon like our old buddy Karnis here at the fire, have him thin the whole stock down, butt plate and all chit-canning that engraving then re cutting the checkering, slimmer and trimmer and not factory? yes, but a hell of a lot nicer to look at? hell yes, win/win smile

Just looking at the picture, it may be cut too deep for that.

If not, that would be an option. Wouldn’t be factory, but it’s not factory now. It would look a heap better with that treatment by a good stock man.

DF

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Jesus wept.

I miss ol’ Crossfire!

😞

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Damn right BSA, they're dying out, very sad, we've all seen guns butchered by cutting the stocks, drilling extra holes, chiseling on the wood and such, matter of fact, those damn griffin and howe dudes that drilled all those M-70 receivers for that god awful side mount need to be dug up and kicked in the nuts! mad

CowboyBart, lord have mercy, as the Warden said in the old 'Cool Hand Luke' movie, "some people you just cant reach." crazy bet that did pain you to have to do those jobs.

One thing y'all should consider is that at the time, the G&H side mount was highly regarded. At the time, correctly installing one was far from "butchering."
I agree on not making irreversible modifications to a pristine rifle. That said, I'm willing to shoot them.
What gets me is all the folks who won't consider for a build a receiver with a few holes in the side, but then proceed to Ceracoat. Plug the holes, build the rifle, refinish to your heart's content. Those plugged holes change the performance of the rifle not one bit. You will save a bunch of money and leave more un-drilled receivers alone for people who don't plan to refinish or perhaps only to minimally refinish.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So are there any 52 sporter collectors out there? Wondering what model is the rarest ? Pre a , a , b , c ,d ? Which is the most desireable?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...I would find a stock surgeon like our old buddy Karnis here at the fire, have him thin the whole stock down, butt plate and all chit-canning that engraving then re cutting the checkering, slimmer and trimmer...

I would replace it with a McMillan or some such.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pal
...I would find a stock surgeon like our old buddy Karnis here at the fire, have him thin the whole stock down, butt plate and all chit-canning that engraving then re cutting the checkering, slimmer and trimmer...
I would replace it with a McMillan or some such.
Or maybe this: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B2563070

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
365 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.