Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
A little while back I posted a question about a Ruger #3 I have.
After a lot of thought I decided to refinish the stock. I did seriously consider the collector value issues already but #1- I have no intention of selling it. #2 the original finish was dull and full of dents and dings.
After stripping the old finish I found a pretty nice piece of wood that was not visible under that old finish. I have been leaning toward some type of oil finish as I don't particularly care for the heavy gloss finishes. I have a little work to do yet so any suggestions on finish options? Like I said, I prefer an oil type or satin finish.
Will post additional pics as things progress.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Grab some Timberluxe finish. http://www.timberluxe.com/wood-finish It's a great product

Start off by wet sanding with the finish, work up to 800 grit, one sanding per day. Keep going until all the pores are filled, then wet sand with water until any built up finish is gone. Once it dries it will have a grayish look to the wood, but don't worry, it's temporary. Then start hand rubbing top coats on. Just a drop or two and work small areas. Keep adding coats until the desired level of gloss is attained.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Another way to skin that cat is with varnish. Sand between coats until grain fill is achieved, then keep going for a couple more coats. Use gloss spar varnish for its superior UV resistance. Rub out the final coat until it's dull looking, then wax the bejapers out of it to bring up a nice soft luster.

Intended use of the gun determines what kind of finish, IMO. Something that's going to spend a lot of time in the woods and inclement weather deserves a barrier finish. Just my opinion.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would give it a rub down or three with real linseed oil to bring out the grain. Use either the art supply linseed or the health food variety to make sure it is the real thing. You can also use it over other varnish finishes or mix it with varnish to get a more traditional finish. Oil at the start and finish with a more waterproof and harder finish as the sealer is a good way to go. You get the the advantage of a more durable finish that still looks traditional and gets the most from the wood.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Didn't come out quite like I had hoped but it does look a little better than the pictures show.

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Looks good to me😊. Nice job.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hang the collectors. You did the right thing, and well it appears. That's what they should've looked like from the get-go. Bet they would've sold better with an old-timey look like yours.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks good. I would let it really cure and rub it down with rotten stone and then wax it with only minimal buffing. Should take on a nice satin sheen.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks good. I picked up a #3 in 223 with the intentions of changing the barrel and restocking it. Cant seem to bring myself to order the barrel since it shoots pretty good as is. Still need to finish the stock.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Tejano, What the heck is "rotten stone"?

BaileyBradshaw, your recommendation of Timberlux is a high compliment from what I see of your work. I intend to order some for my next upcoming project, just got impatient and decided to go with what I had on hand.

Thank you everyone else it was a fun project and I will be doing others.
Jim

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that turned out real well Jim !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim
Didn't come out quite like I had hoped but it does look a little better than the pictures show.

I think the pictures look just fine, the bottom one especially. I would be happy to have such a rifle in my safe.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks fine to me too. I like the slightly darker color.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Craigster

Thanks Craigster, I think I have the perfect old stock to practice this on.

Originally Posted by stantdm
Looks fine to me too. I like the slightly darker color.

Thanks, I did try for a little darker stain than original.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Looks good to me!

If I score a #3 that needs refinished I know who to contact wink

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Thank you sir. I am retiring soon, be happy to help you out. Just curious, where exactly is the armpit of the midwest?
Originally Posted by hookeye
Looks good to me!

If I score a #3 that needs refinished I know who to contact wink

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.